A guide to body tag decoding resources on the web

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
'stitch'

Re: A guide to body tag decoding resources on the web

Post by 'stitch' »

uh.. thanx. not a powerglide...
Kind of a simple guy. Thought I might get something 'In depth'
Appreciate the response tho...
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

You wanted a reply & you got one. Maybe my reply will generate more interest, cross your fingers. Maybe it's not the original tag???? :dontknow:
If you post a photo or two of the car someone may be able to tell by the option what the car is!!!!!!!!!
1967 Fisher bodytags ACC line. (WRN)
The Letters are listed in groups. Letters following a number is in that group. The code letters are listed in the order they would appear. Some letters are in more than one group
Most 1966 codes carried over to 1967 unchanged

First Group ( no numeric indicator)
E = RPO A01 Tinted Glass ( Soft Ray glass in all windows)
D = RPO C06 Power Top (Manual top standard, no indicator)
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only
O = Two tone paint trimpiece ( sedans only)
L = folding rear seat (500 series only)

2 = Second Group
M = RPO M35 Powerglide Automatic --------------------------------------------- M35
D = RPO C60 Air Conditioning
R = RPO U80 Rear speaker
S = RPO U73 Rear ant.
U = RPO U57 Stereo tape system
H = Heater delete
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Caudillo63

Post by Caudillo63 »

Hello I have a 1963 Corvair Monza convertible. I'm having a hard time finding it. I'll post picture where I'm looking at.
Attachments
15301499471852074045347146132056.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Left rear, not right on early models...

1964 Body Tag.jpg

By the way, electric fuel pumps usually do a better job of pushing the fuel than pulling it for long distances. Usually installing the electric fuel pump near the fuel tank outlet and pressurizing the long steel line for the length of the car is preferred. The rubber hose is vulnerable to broken /flipped fan belt damage and with this arrangement the fuel line must be disconnected to permit replacement of the fan belt. A safety electrical cutoff switch that is triggered by engine oil pressure should be a part of the fuel pump wiring.

Airtex Oil Pressure Safety Switches OS75

:link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx- ... xYQAvD_BwE
When oil pressure drops, Airtex oil pressure safety switches cut the flow of fuel to keep you safe. They are engineered and tested to meet or exceed OE specifications to stop your electric fuel pump when your engine stops. Airtex oil pressure switches are important safety features in an accident and can be used with any universal inline fuel pump. These single-inlet, quick-connect outlet switches include gaskets. Stay safe--install Airtex oil pressure safety switches in your vehicles.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Caudillo63

Post by Caudillo63 »

I had a hard time trying to decode. A little help would be appreciated.
Attachments
20180627_201101.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: :confused: "0E" appears to be incomplete.
The first set of characters you see are a three character code on the top left corner of the body tag. This represents the date code. The code consists of two digits and a letter. The digits represent the month, and the letter represents the week. Example 11B means November 2nd week. The week began on a Monday. For the last week, if the week went through a Wednesday, it was that month’s week. If it only went through Tuesday, it was the next month’s week. This code represents the date the body was completed by Fisher body. The body would then be delivered to the Chevy side to install the drivetrain and complete the car. There is a definite time interval between when the body was completed and delivered and when the car was finished on the Chevy side and a VIN number assigned. This was usually within a week or two, but sometimes could be longer. This system gives rise to the possibility of a body built date at the end of one month and a final production date at the start of the subsequent month. Fisher would also deliver bodies in groups and was known to sometimes hold back bodies for one reason or another, so it is possible to have cars bodies that are out of sequence with the VIN numbers. (i.e. body 8 has a Vin # higher than body 12). * An exception to the 2 digit- one letter code is a 3 digit number code used on 1965 Los Angeles models built in Mid-September 1964. This is discussed later at the end of the Decoding section.
:link: viewtopic.php?t=4321

THERE WAS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF AN INCOMPLETE BODY TAG...
bbodie52 wrote:Image

Strange, but I don't see any production date info on your body tag. Even the body build three-digit code on the upper-left is incomplete on your body tag! Here is a normal example...

Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...

"0E" ????
In the example, "03B" would indicate: Body Build Date: 03 = March (1964), B = Second Week
The first digits are numbers 1 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicate the week of the month. If the letter is a "B" it indicates the second week of the month.

BODY TAG INFO:

STYLE (Year is missing) 0967 WR 5854 BODY
Model 0967 — 2-Door Monza Convertible — 4 Passenger, 09 = 900 Series Monza, 67 = 2-Door Convertible,
WR = Willow Run, Michigan Production Plant, Production Sequence No: 5854
[1964] Monza 2-Door Convertible — 4 Passenger, Total Production: 31,045.

:link: viewtopic.php?t=18854
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

I see 06A
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

Caudillo63 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:21 pm I had a hard time trying to decode. A little help would be appreciated.
bbodie52 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:14 am Strange, but I don't see any production date info on your body tag. Even the body build three-digit code on the upper-left is incomplete on your body tag! Here is a normal example...
RexJohnson wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:42 amI see 06A
Looks like STYLE 63-0967?
Screenshot_20240228_205013.png
Blowing it up a bit more..
Trim 1-712 Paint 948-7
ACC looks like a 2 maybe D not readable for me but something from the 2nd group there.

Hope this helps
Last edited by jmiahman on Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1960 Mystery Monza Corvair (named Rusty) Engine ID: T0602YD
Jeremiah from QueenCreek, AZ
whubbell

Post by whubbell »

I came across this old thread and noticed some discussion about the meaning of the “0E” build date. I am a member of the group that originally researched and decoded the Fisher Tag Accessory codes and we also solved this mystery. The “OE” build date code is unique to the 1964 model year, and is actually 10E (fifth week of October, 1963). We determined this to be true by finding that there are no 1964 tags with “10E”. The fifth week of October, 1963, includes the dates 27-31
IMG_6336.png
Another unique feature of the “OE” tag is the absence of the year in the “Style” code.

Here is another OE tag for you to view:
0E.jpeg
As to WHY the 0E tag is different from the rest, well, we never did figure that out.
Bill Hubbell
President, Stock Corvair Group
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Hey, Bill :chevy:

About the 67 with 110 VOLT WIRE. I say it was going to an auto show where it was to be plugged into a receptacle to operate the lights for display. Note it is body #4!

:vert: :birthdaycake: :thewave: :beamup:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”