Rust treatment

Humor, Politics, etc...
Rodders

Rust treatment

Post by Rodders »

Has anyone seen the diyautoSchool videos on you tube? I particular where he treats rust with vinegar water?
Has any one tried this? Does it work? In the vid it shows the rust going black after and he says its now treated??? Does this stop it coming back long term or just a cover up??
mart

Re: Rust treatment

Post by mart »

I am using molasses and am quite pleased with the results. Its a little slow due to cold UK weather and once the rust is dissolved I coat with phosphoric acid until I am ready to paint. Some sort of coating must be used right after the molasses treatment or severe re rusting will occur
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Gave it a wirl on the bonnet... Not really sure if worked or not, whole thing went orange/rusty coloured after bout 20 mins, wiped off with clean water and steel wool and seemed ok, couple of patchs still little rusty brown colour but when went at then with wool they didnt come off??? Think it worked...have primered it and will see what happens i guess?? Am ways off painting as all body to do so will see if it comes back at all????
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

I came across this on Eastwood - no not the empty chair Eastwood :assault: - but the auto body place ! I just recently flushed out my rocker panels and , wow , the sand and leaves that came out of there :eek: So I began devising a way to make up a wand that could spray either Por 15 or some other kind of rust converter in there and I found this . Make sure to check out the video of it in action . http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame- ... ozzle.html

Of course they have a lot of other rust control products to be used in different kinds of apps . Personally , I think I would avoid vinegar and molasses but on the other hand I have no experience with either of them . I think they've come a long way in developing chemicals which can contain rust but if it's all crusty and flaking it's too far gone and nothing will help that . My hope is to get the body cleaned out where I can and then treat it .
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

I've soaked doors in phosphoric acid. Worked great. and once rinsed off it leaves a phosphor coating to prevent rust. Home depot carries it by the gallon as a rust disolver. It may take a couple days. I put rags inside the door to keep it wet.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

POR 15 is very good. Does not ened to be recoated inprotected areas (is not photo stable).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
boatbob2

Post by boatbob2 »

POR 15 is JUNK,i sand blasted the chassis of my 48 Ford coupe,painted the por 15 junk,3 months later the por 15 came off in sheets,i blasted it again,epoxy primed it,and sprayed it with bed liner material,that was 7 years ago,still looks GREAT (today)

Return to “Off Topic”