New Approach to Corvair Turbocharging

All Models and Years
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

New Approach to Corvair Turbocharging

Post by bbodie52 »

I saw this on eBay yesterday -- quite a bit different than anything I've seen before... for your consideration.
Corvair 65-68 motor NEW T3/T4 TURBO
140 big valve heads, TRW forged pistons

eBay Item No: 110939666663

starrcooke969s

$10,000

Corvair engine block RH which is a 65-68 motor 164 Cu. In. I bought this motor from a customer who was tired of breaking VW trannies. Motor sat for about a year so I will be completely rebuilding it to buyers specifications...either for a Corvair trannie==stock rotation or to a VW trannie==reverse or stright rotation. Motor has 140 big valve heads with ALL NEW U.S.A. made valves, New Norris springs set a @ 115# closed with proper shims. Fresh valve job and hand lapped valves to seats. Seats staked like Bill Thomas of Yenko fame did after chambers and exhaust flowed. Fresh head gasket seating area.0.052 copper head gaskets. Heads are Tri-ported with Chrome intake system. NEW T3/T4 Turbo and NEW 390 cfm Holley carb set up by NASCAR carb Guru..Rick Walker. All NEW Clevite mains and rod bearings, Crank will be Std/Std Nitrated crank that has passed a wet mag and hub pinned to crank and 3/8x24 ARP flywheel bolts.. NEW TRW forged LONG SKIRT .020 pistons with Total seal rings. New reverse or regular rotation Cam and lifters. Fail Safe cam gear. Dial indicated cam to crank. Complete motor balanced. Corvair bell housing or Crown adaptor plate with Hi-Po Corvair or Kennedy /VW clutch/pressure plate and Flywheel. Will install waste gate and exhaust for installation. I expect this motor to make 325 to 375 HP but be drivable in a buggy or street car. Protronix ignition, can be set up for regular oil cooler and stock filter or as is now remote. 37 Amp Alternator that has been polished. Will have Damper Doc. freshly rebuilt harmonic balancer. Deep Otto pan. Offenhauser polished valve covers. Engine top cover is chromed. Freshly serviced late model big fan bearing assembly with Mag fan. Taylor 8 mm silicone spark plug wires. Otto oil pick up Crown type big oil pump set at .004 .Shipping is 250.00 west of Miss. or 400.00 east of Miss. lower 48 only. Please feel free to call Starr Cooke (619) 447-6788 San Diego, Ca. I am the only Hi-Po engine builder Clarks Corvairs recommends.
:coolphotos:
Attachments
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 1
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 1
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 2
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 2
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 3
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 3
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 4
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 4
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 5
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 5
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 6
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 6
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 7
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 7
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 8
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 8
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 9
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 9
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 10
Unique Turbocharged Corvair Engine 10
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
miniman82

Re: New Approach to Corvair Turbocharging

Post by miniman82 »

$10k for a bunch of chrome and a Chinese knock-off turbo? No thanks, Starr has done some nice stuff but this ain't one of them. Take that garbage turbo off in favor of a dual ball bearing one and a better ignition, then it starts to make sense.
Click it!
Greybeard
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Greybeard »

Looking at all the porosity showing in the compressor housing, I'd suspect that the turbo came from off shore as well. The interesting thing to me is, only a few turbochargers were built as draw throughs, and I don't believe I've even heard of a T/3/T4 unit with the seals needed for such an application.
Ball bearings are an option from Garrett, but double the price of the Turbo unit.
'66 Corsa, 455 Olds
http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/
Mike
CorvairKid
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by CorvairKid »

I built blow through turbo engine using a t4/t3 turbo from precision turbos. Using Accel DFI with a 750cfm throttle body and on top of that its intercooled and added water/methane injection.
Attachments
Picture of motor pipes not power coated
Picture of motor pipes not power coated
Alex Becker
Yankton, South Dakota

61 Greenbrier
61 Loadside
61 Rampside
62 Greenbrier
65 140 monza
65 140 DFI turbo charged monza
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

that engine looks nice, and i bet it would make some decent power, if it had a better ignition system, and maybe a souped up corvair turbo or a blow through setup, and a dual ball bearing turbo, then i could see 10K if it was built to handle that power and was a turn key engine
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”