How do I install seatbelts in front?

All Models and Years
Kent Dorfman

How do I install seatbelts in front?

Post by Kent Dorfman »

My 66 Corvair has belts in the back but not in the front. I have a set of lap belts to install but don't know where to bolt them down. Is there a threaded hole in the floor to attach to? I felt around and couldn't find any.
PHX65CorsaHT

Re: How do I install seatbelts in front?

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

Kent, have you removed the carpet? If I'm not mistaken you should see some factory indentations on the floor area. You may have to drill it out etc. Maybe call Clark's Corvair and ask one of there tech people. They should be able to set you up with both the knowledge and the belts if you need them.
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

There are four threaded holes. The outboard belts bolt to threaded holes in the rocker panels. In board belts bolt to threaded holes near the center of the car. In board belts are supposed to crisscross.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

Thanks for the knowledge Dave. I installed my own rear seatbelts but my car had fronts and I've never had the carpet out. Front belts were mandated by 66, right?
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
Kent Dorfman

Post by Kent Dorfman »

Thanks guys. I'll look at it again when I get it back from the mechanic, hopefully next week.
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

PHX65CorsaHT wrote:Thanks for the knowledge Dave. I installed my own rear seatbelts but my car had fronts and I've never had the carpet out. Front belts were mandated by 66, right?
01/01/65.

You shouldn't have to entirely remove the front carpet. Remove the door sills and you should be able to find the holes for the outboard bolts by feeling between the rocker and the carpet. The inboard bolt holes can be reached by pulling up the back of the front carpet.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”