Convert a 60 from a 3 speed to automatic??

All Models and Years
queenbee
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Convert a 60 from a 3 speed to automatic??

Post by queenbee »

Is it possible to convert a 1960 700 from a 3 speed to a automatic (power glide?) also is the auto tranny specific to the corvair. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Glenn & Cyndy
Cynthia Korec
Jamesville, NY
1960 700 Coupe 3 speed
Mountain Pilot

Re: Convert a 60 from a 3 speed to automatic??

Post by Mountain Pilot »

Yes you can...

But it takes a lot of parts to do the conversion, best thing is to find an automatic '60 that is only good for parts, and do the swap. It will take time to do it. Best thing is to remove the manual transmission first and it's associated parts, then start moving the parts over from the parts car Lots of little parts, covers, cables etc.
I am sure others will join in on this discussion and give you additional information.

The Corvair Powerglide is only for Corvairs
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

1960 700 Sedan / 1964 Spyder, Conv. / 1964 Monza Sedan
“Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies.” -George Orwell
queenbee
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by queenbee »

Found a 62 corvair convert that a guy is parting out in PA. He wants 75 for the transmission. Will I need the transaxle as well? We just bought the car, and my wife loves it, but it would be perfect if it had an automatic.

Thanks,
G&C
Cynthia Korec
Jamesville, NY
1960 700 Coupe 3 speed
Mountain Pilot

Post by Mountain Pilot »

There is a lot of parts that have to be changed.

The instrument panel, cable going to the back to shift the tranny, brackets and feedthroughs, Best to get transmission and diff and bell housing ( it is vented ) all the pieces of the throttle linkage back to the carbs. Block plate where stick was. There is much more. I have not made the conversion but have heard from others that it is more time consuming going from stick to auto than the other way.

Also the automatic engine has a different cam to give more low end torque and puts out 84 hp.

Is this your first Corvair?
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

queenbee
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by queenbee »

Yes this is our first Corvair. I had no clue the throttle linkage would have to be changed?
It may be better to sell and buy an auto?? Too bad, cause its a great little car that was just shipped from California. The underside is spotless. It does need a little cosmetic work. We'll keep digging and see what we can get our hands on for parts. Thanks for the info...
G&C
Cynthia Korec
Jamesville, NY
1960 700 Coupe 3 speed
Mountain Pilot

Post by Mountain Pilot »

Where are you located at?

What model is it - 4 door Sedan / or / Coupe ?

Then it depends upon how much you desire to spend...

It is far easier to upgrade to a 4 speed - that non syncromesh into First is a Pain...
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

queenbee
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by queenbee »

Hi Mountain Pilot.

It is a 700 coupe. Bought it from a guy in the LA area. I bought it for my wife's 40th. She has driven a stick in the past... many years ago on my 85 S-10 pick up. 1st gear in our Corvair is a bitch. I have struggled with it, and I have many miles of driving stick shifts. We are in the Syracuse NY area. I have reached out to the local corvair club here, waiting for reponses. And emailed the Corvair Ranch in PA. If we do change to a 4 speed, other than the tranny would the transaxle have to be changed.? Budget?? whats that? Most likely im already upside down in the car. Im about $6500. in so far. I appreicate your time. I will try to attached a photo.

Glenn
Attachments
corvair left.jpg
corvair rear.jpg
Cynthia Korec
Jamesville, NY
1960 700 Coupe 3 speed
Mountain Pilot

Post by Mountain Pilot »

Beautiful..... I am partial to '60's

All I "think" will need to be changed is the flywheel and clutch and the front cross-member that holds the transmission. If you are going that far I would ask the Corvair ranch what would it cost to change over to a '64 rear suspension at the same time ( That will give you better handling and a more stable rear end ( it is not necessary to do that but nice )
The change over to a 4 speed should take a day if all the parts are prepped an ready to go in.. If you have not worked with Corvairs in the past, the best way is to check with "The Ranch" and see what they will charge to do it. Four speed transmissions are easily available.

Check with the local Corvair Club and go first and drive one and see if you like it...

My '64 is stick and my daily driver and the '60 is automatic and being prepped for my long distance driver and car show vehicle.
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

queenbee
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by queenbee »

Thanks for all of your help. I am not a corvair expert, but pretty handy with a wrench. I gotta get this thing fixed for her to drive. She's eyeballing my automatic 64 chevy pick up!

Again, we both appreciate the information that you have given us. We have "been into" corvairs for a whole 4 days. We'ee keep you (and the forum) posted on our progress.

Glenn & Cyndy.
Cynthia Korec
Jamesville, NY
1960 700 Coupe 3 speed
queenbee
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by queenbee »

Well its been a while but our conversion is complete We changed the entire Drivetrain. 140 HP with powerglide and a 3.55 rear diff. Entire brake system has been rebuilt.
Cynthia Korec
Jamesville, NY
1960 700 Coupe 3 speed
jennirw
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by jennirw »

i have made this change over on a 62 monza coupe - it had a 4spd, i changed it to a automatic - did it the easy way - put an entire 61 power train in, changed the dash and added the cable. only problem was the detents in the shifter were off from the shift points in the trans. drove it for a couple of days by holding the shift lever between the labels until i could get the adj tool to adj the valve to match
1960 700 COUPE
ADMINISTRATOR- "1960 CAVEMAN CORVAIR" Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "CAVEMAN CORVAIRS, THE 1960 GROUP" CORSA special interest chapter 003 Facebook
ADMINISTRATOR- "DETROIT AREA CORVAIR CLUB (DACC)" Facebook
PHX65CorsaHT

Post by PHX65CorsaHT »

A 140 in your 60...nice. 60's are also known in the community as "cave cars" because they are the only year of the concave front end styling. You have a nice looking unique vehicle there. Love the picture with the pick up in back ground. I had 65 chev pickup long box with the same factory paint job back in college in 1993. It had the 292 straight six with granny gear, super smooth with tons of torque! Drop a picture of the 140 engine compartment! Enjoy it...Great combo!
Cave Creek AZ---75 Datsun PU, 82 Toyota Supra, 70 Nova,
65 Chevy PU, 72 Suburban,
96 4Runner, 06 Sequoia, 65 Corvair Coupe
queenbee
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by queenbee »

Well update pics soon. Thanks PHX65CorsaHT. My grandfather had a 65 with the 292 4 speed. He still had it in 1991 when I was learning to drive. He taught me how to drive stick on that truck. He's gone now, but my truck is just like his, same color etc... except in much nicer shape.
Back to the corvair. It runs, but not well, wont stay running at idle. Some in our club suggest a vacuum leak, or a bad ignition system. It had a pertonix ignition, I am in the process of working with an expert in our local club to convert it back to points and condensor. We'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out. Still lots to do. front wheel bearings. Pitman arm bushing. fix the left turn signal (it doesnt turn off... ever!) we'll get there.

Here's a photo from our recall a few weeks ago. Not the best photo, but you get the idea. It made it the 14 miles round trip to recall before acting up.

G&C
Attachments
140 Engine.jpg
140 Engine.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Cynthia Korec
Jamesville, NY
1960 700 Coupe 3 speed

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”