The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Non-Traditionally Powered Corvairs
erco

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit build

Post by erco »

Oh man, that sucks. It's hard enough making steady forward progress, having this faulty primer send you backwards is a total PITA. God bless you for forging ahead and keeping your enthusiasm tanks full, Brother!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Seems like there should be much more obvious warnings placed on the product about ambient temps being critical. I guess the lesson learned is to test any new coating system on a junk car or small panel before taking on the whole car. 20/20 hindsight, huh? Sorry. Glad you are getting it removed without complete destruction of the work already done underneath.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

The whole situation stinks but at least you seem to have a path forward.

My hat is off to all you guys that take on these sized body projects, I’ll take on almost anything mechanical but bodywork I just don’t seem to have the knack for. Have never had a good outcome.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
County98

Post by County98 »

Man, that sucks. You're doing a great job though and I love reading your build. Good luck bud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Corvair Forum mobile app

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I was making great progress until the primer problem. I had chosen to use the roll on primer because I have a friend of mine's 62 impala in the garage which is still there.
I went after the the stuff on the top of the car with 80 grit sandpaper. It worked but I am not sure as to the smoothness. I will need to shoot some more hi build primer and sand before I understand any damage to the surface. Since I could not use a double action un it on the tail light panel I had to come up with a different way to get rid of the primer.
I ended up using a small natural bristle brush that was about an inch in diameter with bristles about 1 1/2 inches long and home depot grade lacquer thinner which is not as hot as the old lacquer thinner. I would wet the brush and work an area about 2 inches by 2 inches and then wipe it down with a cotton shop rag. I should have worn gloves as I burnt my hands and fingers pretty good having the lacquer thinner directly on my hands. This is the first pass I made with the lacquer

I was not real thrilled with how it came out. While it did take the primer off, it also softened the green primer. Luckily, it did not soften the clear coat or the yellow paint. Since the tail light panel is one of my favorite piece of the car, I decided to try something else to see if there was a better method. I ended up with some natural fiber paint brushes and more lacquer thinner. Still working on small spots at a time, I was able to get rid of not only the primer but also the green zinc chromate as well. It was a time consuming project but here is how it came out

I now have 90% of the primer off the car. I am looking forward to being able to spray some paint and get the project back on the road.

Hard to believe, almost 85,000 views...........Very humbling ...........Thank you for following this build
erco

Post by erco »

More power to you for working through this setback. I'd be so pissed I'd have to walk away for a month.

God bless you Bro!
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Thanks ERCO for the kind words. I have already walked away from the project once for about 6 months. At my age, I can't do that very often and still expect to put some miles on the car. NO matter how much stupid shit I do to the car, it is still fun to hang in the garage and work on the car
erco

Post by erco »

Agreed, with age comes wisdom. I just turned 60 and realized "its now or never" with my car last year, which had been rotting in the garage for 20 years. Great long-term Covid project, and whenever she drives, that first mile will be so sweet!

As my even older buddy says: "At my age, I don't buy green bananas."
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Over 100,000 views
Actually freaks me out. :not worthy:

I have just about finished my friends 1962 Impala. The 2 week project took ONLY 7 1/2 months. There are a couple of touch up items and install the interior and it is done and gone. You are probably asking what this has to do with the V8 Corvair. Just about everything.

A week or so ago I was at a stopping point so I drug our some sandpaper and my DA and went to work on the trunk lid of the Corvair . There was lots of dust and no clogging the sandpaper...............The shit finally cured............Thank God !!!!!!! I can leave it on the car and sand it smooth.

BY the middle of August, The Corvair should at least be in one of the final stages of primer

Film at 11
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

For the last 9 months, I have been helping a close friend of mine with his 62 Impala. It was to be a 2 week deal and back to work on the Corvair. The project just exploded as we did the work. We did all new aftermarket suspension front and rear with air ride. We replaced the front floors, put new rockers on both sides, new trans tunnel, complete new electrical system front to rear, added power steering…etc.
Today we took the beast out for its first ride outside the garage. We have a cracked fitting on the left front brake and the right side brake light is inop….easy stuff to fix.
So since this took up Corvair time and space, I thought you might like to see what we did

Btw, I ordered the primer for the Corvair….shit is about to get real
Attachments
363993AD-A825-40D0-83A8-1DB667972901.jpeg
A2351F94-A957-42DD-A885-093F5475AB66.jpeg
jaymaechtlen

Post by jaymaechtlen »

Wow, that Impala is nice!
And your 'vair is coming along nicely.
I hadn't checked on this thread for a long time, glad you've stuck with it and getting close to the goal!
'61 2dr, custom fiberglass skin, transverse mid-engine - Buick 3800 supercharged V6 - hauls!
4-speed, auto trans
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

FINALLY….. stuff is about to get real. Primer goes on tomorrow morning
Attachments
6B67EC28-A600-4D9D-AF6E-3A00B530129E.jpeg
erco

Post by erco »

Wow, I see beautiful bare metal with hardly any bodywork. She's a keeper!
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Shit happens fast once you start
Attachments
30535708-B6E1-483C-9B99-D40DB5A404BD.jpeg
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

Roof, pillars,hood and left side blocked to 400 grit.

I did find a couple of spots to touch up other wise, pretty damn happy so far

5433ED86-5E5B-479E-987B-80EC032925A6.jpeg
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I now have two coats of primer on the car. I have blocked just about everything with 400 grit. One more heavy coat and the guide coat blocked…. Almost color time

Return to “V8's - V6's - and...?”