65 monza_eng code RH_ nitrous powered _HELP

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
plumfogger

65 monza_eng code RH_ nitrous powered _HELP

Post by plumfogger »

I am the new proud owner of this dream of a car. I traded it for a 3800 dollar AMC wrangler and I couldnt be happier.
It has a soft tap but runs great . I am not sure if I have valve lash issues or a hit lifter.
It does however run great down the road just has a annoying tap tap tap . I am curious how much a engine rebuild _Ball park_ can cost or how much a lifter/rocker adjustment can cost?
Any help would be great.
The nitrous bottle was never filled and there isnt a switch hooked up just so you know.
plumfogger

Re: 65 monza_eng code RH_ nitrous powered _HELP

Post by plumfogger »

here is a short video of the knock...
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

Real nice looking car and set up. I am kinda new to the forum myself and not good on the computor. Crazy George I am call most places. I am not the brightest light bulb but I do shine. I listened to the sound and I would start by adjusting the rocker arms behide the valve cover. I just back them off till they make noise ccw than back to it stops cw and give the socket a 3/4 turn tight. Once the valve cover is off and running you should be able to see any real loose rockers and start with that one. You should also have a service manual any way. If your not comfortable doing it, I am sure there are corvairs guy around ya. But there are far more experience corvairs guys here that I have alot to learn from . So see what the others have to say first. That is a nice looking ride
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

First thing first...fill the nitrous bottle hook up a switch and stand on that thing.

I didn't listen to the video but if the tap goes away at speed on the highway it's a lifter.

When you adjust the lifters 3/4 of a turn is to much...more like 1/4 to a 1/2.

If you jack the car up on the side your adjusting and use half valve covers it not "too" messy running.

Just take a spare stock valve cover and split it long ways in a bandsaw about 2/3 tall

Another trick is half a quart of ATF in the engine oil to loosen up a sticky lifter before you try adjusting them.

The first time you squirt the nitrous make sure your already rolling about 50 MPH. :wave:

We'll be waiting on a full squirt stand on it report...don't worry Corvairs are easy to fix if you break it.
Attachments
lights.JPG
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

made up for adjusting rockers
made up for adjusting rockers
I was incorrect on 3/4 , Phil is correct on 1/4 to 1/2 turn. ( I like Phil car as well) I like the idea of ATF in the oil . Yeah, the oil can get messy or hot, the half valve covers is easy to make up or a set of covers I made up as a kid with my dad. The full covers does give you less spating of oil ,I took a pic for you to reveiw if this will help you some or give you a idea. CG
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Very cool car! I like it
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Looks great, and better yet FUN!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
plumfogger

Post by plumfogger »

Thats all good info !
I have one more question? how much ball park do any of you guys think this car is worth ..high /low?
I got it in a trade for a nice old jeep I had and I dont really know what it is worth..
Thanks__Tim
mart

Post by mart »

I paid £4800 for mine and would trade you all day long
LSxVair

Post by LSxVair »

Are you in central FL? It looks familiar. Thought I saw it on CL a few weeks ago. I'm east of Orlando and just picked up a 66 myself. Looks like a really nice ride!
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Nitrous in the engine compartment=dangerous accident waiting to happen. Please relocate that bomb to the trunk in front. Also, the line for the nitrous plate fuel supply is coming off the same fuel supply line as the carb: more bad juju. If it's just for looks, that's one thing. But if you ever intend to fill the bottle and use this system, get another regulator for the plate and mount it at the same height.
Click it!
LSxVair

Post by LSxVair »

I don't think he has any plans for the car. Its relisted for sale on craigslist for $8500
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

:tu: angry looking corvair , nic nice, fire it up !!!! :guitar: ENJOY IT !!
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

Trying to flip the car? Bummer. :(
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Gregory_Miller wrote:Trying to flip the car? Bummer. :(
I could care less if he's trying to re-sell for profit but the ad is filled with so much BS I was spewing milk out my nose while reading it at breakfast. I would love to see the dyno sheet that shows 247 WHP on a NA Vair motor. He also fails to mention that the engine has an annoying knock. Maybe that's fixed now?

SInce he just got the car in a trade I think he probably got a line of BS from the previous owner and just doesn't know any different that what he was told.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/cto/2850379923.html

SECOND GENERATION_JOHN DeLorian designed 1965 Chevy Corvair Monza -_with the Porsche 911 style engine. EXTREME amount of Modifications and upgrades. This car was successed by the Camaro and shares parts with the original Camaro.
Motor was Completely Blue printed and balanced -port and polished., new valves, guides, and sleeves were installed with 3-angle cuts and then pinned so they wont fall out . The heads were cleaned and deburred and decked 1/1000th of a inch with new copper head gaskets resulting in an increase compression.Engine has around 2000 miles since rebuild.
Street/Strip berg Cam and a edelbrock 750 double pumper conversion kit with nitrous ! Without Nitrous it is running around 247 WHP on dyno.Never filled nitrous bottle.Roller Rockers,Berg heads bridged and polished.
All bolts and nuts properly anti seized and lock tighted.
Interior is fresh and New.No Bondo on and quarters or panels.Underside of the car is completely lined and looks as new as the top.All new Bushings ,Bearings, mounts and rubber trims .CAR IS IMMACULATE.MUST SEE TO BELIEVE.
Everything works brand new 16 inch tires and rims. Exhaust system is quiet and nice sounding ,No engine sound while driving .
2 speed powerglide that came with the performance package works excellent and is super easy to use. Fresh Fluids.RH code motor.
I also like that it is not a huge boat that takes up a ton of space like a big muscle car.

This car runs straight and true down the street I would drive it to California and back no problem
I prefer to deal with ADULTS
Please dont waste my time if you like it come and get it ,the car as nice as described no let downs...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 6 foot 3 and it fits me perfect with the seat all the way back ,the seat goes forward about a foot.The car will fit all drivers. If you want to come see it please E-mail me . I will be happy to take you on a ride around gospel island with the windows down and the radio all the way up or all the way down _your pick. Hurry it wont last! Cash price under NADA specs. Please do you research. Go to wikipedia.org and search Corvair. Or NADA.com 91,000 0n the steel ___2000 mile on the engine and trans and bearings and bushings. Basically a brand new car! I will accept CASH- cash plus trade ,or combo .
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Gregory_Miller
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Gregory_Miller »

My "malarkey meter" is pegging!!