my automatic shifts to quick

Humor, Politics, etc...
fattire2000

my automatic shifts to quick

Post by fattire2000 »

When starding from a dead stop and accelerating the car only stays in first gear for a few seconds before it shifts to second or drive, Ive been told it could be the e-clip in the transmition does anybody have any pictures or info on where in the transmition i can find this clip? Can i simply remove the pan and it is right there or do i have to dig further? Thanks for any help.
atwistedgrip
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: my automatic shifts to quick

Post by atwistedgrip »

The accelerator pedal rod (in the engine compartment) has an adjustable swivel where it attaches to the carburetor cross shaft. Changing the position of this swivel changes the speed at which the trans shifts. Disconnect and turn the swivel so it moves toward the front of the car to raise the shift speed.

Adjustment of the shift lever (manual valve) requires dropping the oil pan and using a special tool, available from Clarks: C5332

The vacuum modulator is not adjustable. It affects shift softness or firmness to match the engine output. It does not change shifting speed.
Gary
Sun City is now Menifee, CA
CORSA member
IECC member
fattire2000

Post by fattire2000 »

Thanks Gary the admustment might of made a slight diff but still shifts to quick and won't stay in first even if i shift down, infact shifting down does'nt do anytthing. Whats up?
Stinger Motorsports

Post by Stinger Motorsports »

You have to fix the broken e clip it is located in the valve body. You will need the e clip, transmission pan gasket, and both valve body gaskets. The valve body plate is held on with some clutch drive screws. If you don't have the special bit for these you can usually get them out with some other type of screwdriver tip like a square drive or grind down a flat blade to fit the hole tightly. The list of Clarks # you need is C873 C3918 C3919 C7733 and of course you can get the transmission fluid at a local shop.

I've done this repair several times and it is fairly easy to do.

David Clemens
Owner
Stinger Motorsports
fattire2000

Post by fattire2000 »

Ive got the valve body apart but cant tell wheere teh clip goes there is a lolt on one of teh shafts on a sort of a pump kind of mechanism that looks lide it could tade a clip but not sure if tht is where it goes

Return to “Off Topic”