Bench Wrenching

All Models and Years
jimbrandberg

Bench Wrenching

Post by jimbrandberg »

I just figured out why I like the Corvair forums. I can espouse ad nauseum on things Corvair without actually going out and doing anything. It seems like such a basic precept but I never thought of it like that.
Jim Brandberg
66vairguy

Re: Bench Wrenching

Post by 66vairguy »

jimbrandberg wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:31 am I just figured out why I like the Corvair forums. I can espouse ad nauseum on things Corvair without actually going out and doing anything. It seems like such a basic precept but I never thought of it like that.
Jim Brandberg
Yes and as you grow older you'll appreciate it more - :rolling: The other day I decided to replace the stock radio in my other Corvair that has A/C. After ten minutes under the dash my old back said "ENOUGH". I came in and turned on the computer -- :wave:
Jim65

Post by Jim65 »

jimbrandberg wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:31 am I just figured out why I like the Corvair forums. I can espouse ad nauseum on things Corvair without actually going out and doing anything. It seems like such a basic precept but I never thought of it like that.
Jim Brandberg
Think of it as "research". ::-):
'65 110 Coupe
erco

Post by erco »

Yeah, and there are plenty of wrenching videos on Youtube that are fun to follow along. Uncle Tony's Garage, Vice Grip Garage, etc.

And there's ever-optimistic young Tyler (below), who's learning as he works on his EM, and makes mistakes, and breaks bolts, and cusses and drinks beer when things go wrong. He's sponsored by Clark's so we're underwriting his channel, might as well tune in and follow along!

2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

I like his vids. He doesn't talk down and shows both his successes and his mistakes. Let's me know he's normal like the rest of us..
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

My four favorite hobbies are golf, fishing, racing, and gold prospecting.

They all have one thing in common...everybody lies about the results!!
Attachments
goldcamp3.PNG
goldcamp3.PNG (379.64 KiB) Viewed 283 times
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
erco

Post by erco »

Phil Dally wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:06 am They all have one thing in common...everybody lies about the results!!
Don't forget stock market day traders. They love to tell you when they made $500. They don't share when they lose $5K.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Can tell he's young. He used a speed wrench to remove the bolts after loosening. Us lazy, cranky old guys with tired wrists us a cordless drill with a socket driver bit. Dennis
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I much prefer hand ratchets to get the feel of the threads, I just don't get that with power tools.
Jim Brandberg
erco

Post by erco »

Dennis66 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:58 pm Can tell he's young. He used a speed wrench to remove the bolts after loosening. Us lazy, cranky old guys with tired wrists us a cordless drill with a socket driver bit. Dennis
There's no wrong way to work on a Corvair!

Actually in one of Tyler's cringier episodes he torques some bolts to xxx foot pounds instead of inch pounds. All my screaming at the computer screen was for naught...
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Power tools to remove fasteners. Hand tools to install. :tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I didn't know about Tyler's videos. He's local to me and has bought a few used parts from me. I started watching the link above but don't know if I need something else to do on the computer.
He's planning to run the Corvair in the Press On Regardless Rally which is cool. He's got a Saab Sonnet and a VW Cabriolet, 2 things I've had chapters with in my life.
I met him once but his Rally Club Meeting is on the same night as the Corvair Club meeting.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
erco

Post by erco »

Vairy cool, Jim! You & Tyler have a lot to catch up on, great that you are local and already connected. Train up the next generation right!

Too bad Clark's doesn't sponsor ALL of us! :chevy: :chevy: :chevy:
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Been doing a ton of Bench Wrenching the last few weeks. Completely screwed my back up. Lots of ice and heat. Every time I get a little better and crawl under the Corvair to try to finish the "lifter/o-ring/stem seal" project, I seem to reverse all progress. :td: :doh:
Hence, lots of keyboard "research"......and unfortunately, clicking and spending. :dontknow:
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I don't think Tyler has asked me about anything except parts. I'm a little curious about where he had his head work done as I go elsewhere but wondered a few times about the place.
I don't belong to Facebook and I think he's there quite a bit. I'm happy with the Forum perspectives.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

You get 90% good advice here and about 95% bad on Facebook. I feel sorry for the newbies there. I don't see how they can sort through it.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”