Clutch not releasing properly

All Models and Years
steptoe

Clutch not releasing properly

Post by steptoe »

I have just finished a transmission swap. Removed a power glide and replaced it with a 4 speed. Got a doner car to make it easier. 1964 model. I can’t get a full release on the clutch disc and finally realized that the main lever assembly is not pivoting properly. There is a ball socket on each end of the lever. The socket on one so is not holding the lever to enable it to rotate properly. The lever is actually rotating at an angle from one side. It appears that the ball socket is not installed properly or is not the right part. Lots of lost rotating motion when pushing the clutch petal which results in the disc not fully releasing. Anyone know what it could be? All settings and adjustments have been made and are correct as far as I can see.
Last edited by steptoe on Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RexJohnson

Re: Clutch not releasing properly

Post by RexJohnson »

The ball on the trans crossmember is a removable part. It sounds like it might be loose?
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

I’ll check that when I get back on a lift. Thanks Rex.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

It's called a "clutch cross shaft". Was used on most GM vehicles in the '60s and '70s. Anchors in a slot on the crossmember and a bracket with 3 step bolts, a rubber pad, and a metal plate to the body (if you did the swap, you probably already know this). A picture of the cross shaft may help with diagnostics too. Dennis
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Dennis I have a picture of the cross shaft but don’t know how to attach it.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Clutch components can get mixed. The early style or later design can be fitted to any Corvair, but mixing components between the two designs will cause problems. Clark's online catalog covers clutch component matching and interchange. This and subsequent pages of the online catalog should help you to confirm that everything matches.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... w_page=108

Clutch Component Interchange - Clark's Corvair Parts Catalog Page 108
Clutch Component Interchange - Clark's Corvair Parts Catalog Page 108
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1965 Corvair Clutch Shaft and Linkage
1965 Corvair Clutch Shaft and Linkage
The Corvair Assembly Manuals published by GM often contain fastener torque specifications that are not found in the Shop Manuals. The Assembly Manuals for each model year also contain many engineering diagrams and details not found in the shop manuals.

I have attached a section of the 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual as an example. Numbered fasteners in the main illustration diagrams also frequently show torque specifications as a related number surrounded by a triangle, as depicted in the above page example.

I consider the Corvair Assembly Manuals to be an indispensable supplement to the related Corvair shop manual for each model year.

Assembly manuals are available from Clark's Corvair Parts for each Corvair model year. More information can be found in Clark's online catalog on pages 243A - 243B

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... _page=243A
Each Assembly Manual has a nice front and back cover. The manual is 3 hole punched so you can easily put it in a 3 hole binder. They are printed on quality 60 lb. white paper, and the finished product is shrink wrapped in clear plastic. Most of the manuals have about 200-270 pages. I have seen the same type of manual for 1957 Chevy going for $25.00 and up (and rather poorly printed at that).
I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW VALUABLE THESE MANUALS ARE.

• 1960 CORVAIR CARS (missing 1 section) C7310 2 lbs.
  • 1961 CORVAIR CARS C7311 2 lbs.
  • 1962 CORVAIR CARS C7312 2 lbs.
  • 1963 CORVAIR CARS C7313 2 lbs.
  • 1964 CORVAIR CARS C7314 2 lbs.
  • 1965 CORVAIR CARS C7315 2 lbs.
  • 1966 CORVAIR CARS C7316 2 lbs.
  • 1967 CORVAIR CARS C7317 2 lbs.
  • 1968 CORVAIR CARS C7318 2 lbs.
  • 1969 CORVAIR CARS C7319 2 lbs.

Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - CLUTCH CABLE AND LINKAGE.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - CLUTCH CABLE AND LINKAGE
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

I have a 1964 Monza. I bought a 1964 Monza for a donor car. All parts came from the donor car except for new clutch parts from Clark’s. All parts fit perfectly except that one ball socket on the cross shaft. I don’t know if the owner of the doner car changed anything about the clutch assembly. I have a picture of my cross shaft but can’t figure out how to submit it.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Under the white box where you type a reply there are two tabs. Click on the Attachment tab. Come back if more questions. :my02: :dogrun: :dogrun: :dogrun: :drinkinbuddy: :drinkinbuddy: :dogrun: :dogrun: :camptrailer:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”