Newbie in VT

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Ricklandia

Newbie in VT

Post by Ricklandia »

Hello all! Been a fan of Corvairs since... forever really. mid 70's at least when I saw my first one in person as a teen. The garage has been empty for a couple of years now, I've always had some kind of project car to tinker with over the years. I'm getting a little on the old side now and am not looking for any heavy duty projects any more but I am shopping around for a nice little car that will pass inspection immediately [VT Inspections are very tough] and something I can putter up and down the mountains around here on those [few] wonderful summer days.
Sadly a convertible is out of reach but that's okay. I'm actually partial to 1st Gen 4dr Sedans, that flat top rook to me is just beautiful. Learned the tractor has a blown head gasket so first things first, just hoping it doesn't cut out my Corvair budget too badly. We'll see. Nice to meet you all and I hope to be chatting here again soon.
Phil Dally

Re: Newbie in VT

Post by Phil Dally »

WELCOME!!!

From 3000 miles away in kalifornia.
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

Welcome to the group. Emissions testing? Here in CO my car (63) was exempt. Are you sure you have to deal with that on a EM Corvair?
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

:welcomeparty: :welcome2: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome2: :welcomeparty: :partydudes: :thewave:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
66Monza140

Post by 66Monza140 »

Well Howdy neighbor,

Whereabouts are you in the Green Mtn State? Few 'Vairs around here in the Champlain Valley but always welcome another.
Welcome aboard :wave:
Case R.
1966 Monza 140 coupe
Western Champlain Valley, Vermont
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Gasman63 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:28 pm Welcome to the group. Emissions testing? Here in CO my car (63) was exempt. Are you sure you have to deal with that on a EM Corvair?
I was told high altitude areas in Colorado require emissions testing for ALL cars. I recall Steve Goodman saying he had to make Corvairs pass emissions testing. That is how he discovered the need for the idle mixture circuit on the 68-69 secondaries on 140HP engines. He adds the 62-63 bases to 65-67 140HP secondaries to use the idle mixture circuit to make them pass emissions.
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Welcome to the forum. I didn't start with Corvairs until I was 56 and wound with 5 rust buckets to scrap first, then bought my 66 Coupe. I have had a 64 Greenbrier (fixed up mechanically and sold), then a 66 Corsa Turbo (too much of a project, so I sold it as is), then got the the 66 4 Door (More Door). 1 year project to get it mechanically sound, then on the road. 19k miles later issues worked out. So keep on the hunt looking for your first, second or third Vair. Kinda hard to just have one.

If you come south, I have a nice 66 4 Door available near Savannah GA. It has taken 6 trips to Helen GA (310 mile 1-way), 6 trips to Maggie Vally NC 360 (1-way). A trip to Cruisin the Coast in Biloxi MS (538 miles 1-way). Also a trip to Wilminton NC (350 miles 1 way). Lots of local trips up to 70 miles each way and a 150 miles mile 1 way trip to Charleston. So this is not a show queen, but a reliable driver. More Doors are hard to find, but are becoming more desirable due to their rarity. They were scrapped since the 70s, as people were looking for the coupes and verts.

Take a look at the Good Manuals, Books and Links sections of the attached link. You will need to refer to some of them when you get your new prized possession. Lots of Good info and where to go get info on the Corvair in the link.

viewtopic.php?p=135929&hilit=Manual#p135929

viewtopic.php?t=19496

20190219_095026 - Resized.jpg
20190219_095026 - Resized.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

66vairguy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:22 pm
Gasman63 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:28 pm Welcome to the group. Emissions testing? Here in CO my car (63) was exempt. Are you sure you have to deal with that on a EM Corvair?
I was told high altitude areas in Colorado require emissions testing for ALL cars. I recall Steve Goodman saying he had to make Corvairs pass emissions testing. That is how he discovered the need for the idle mixture circuit on the 68-69 secondaries on 140HP engines. He adds the 62-63 bases to 65-67 140HP secondaries to use the idle mixture circuit to make them pass emissions.
If Steve says it then I'm sure its true. IN DENVER.
Here in Colorado Springs I only had to have a VIN Inspection as the car came from a different state. Then pay for plates and registration.
So maybe I found a work-around and didn't know it. Lucky Me!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Gasman63 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:55 am
66vairguy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:22 pm
If Steve says it then I'm sure its true. IN DENVER.
Here in Colorado Springs I only had to have a VIN Inspection as the car came from a different state. Then pay for plates and registration.
So maybe I found a work-around and didn't know it. Lucky Me!
CORRECTION --- I got a nice email from Steve and the law has changed so now a car with "collector" plates older than 1975 is exempt from emissions testing. Note this applies to only to high density and high elevation areas of Colorado that previously required emissions testing for ALL vehicles. I suspect Colorado Springs is neither, although it has been growing a lot since I was there in around 1972. The road up Pikes Peak was still partially dirt!
Gasman63

Post by Gasman63 »

We are higher than the Mile High City of Denver but you are right, Not as many people, thank God. But we are catching up. Thanks to Steve and You Bob for correcting this. I was starting to wonder if I got away with something. :pray:
Winstonindy

Post by Winstonindy »

I just joined as well, another VT resident. Will be selling my 1964 Monza Spyder Turbo as soon as possible. Need the garage space! Let me know if you are still looking for a ride!
American Mel

Post by American Mel »

Since the OP did not specify, I imagine he was talking about rigid Safety-Inspections.
Don't know if we will ever find out though.
He seems to be a hit and run poster.
Currently own: '66Monza Coupe, '67Monza Vert, '67A/C Monza Sport Sedan
Have owned: '61Monza Coupe, '62Monza Wagon, '63Spyder, '65 Corsa
Loc: WA, One mile south of Canadian border.

Return to “Introductions”