I’m building a ‘67 Monza 4-door with Tesla drivetrain

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
johnwgould

I’m building a ‘67 Monza 4-door with Tesla drivetrain

Post by johnwgould »

I was inspired by the Electrovair of the mid sixties, so I purchased a used Tesla drive package from EVWest & found some used Model S batteries locally & then turned over the project to Lowdown Hotrods in Cambridge Ontario. After trying to fit a Tesla S rear subframe in, (too wide), Lowdown welded in a frame using the dimensions from the Tesla subframe so that the motor & rear suspension would bolt in.
I have upgraded the front end with Mustang ll style suspension & steering with Wilwood disc brakes.
The rear end of course has the Tesla disc brakes.
Front & rear use coil overs which are fully adjustable.
Six of the Tesla S batteries modules are in the front trunk & ten modules are in the old engine compartment.
I’m using Tesla 19” wheels on the rear which are needed to clear the brakes & suspension & which required slight modification to the rear wheel opening but hopefully won’t be noticeable.
Other changes include A/C, electric steering assist, power windows & power driver’s seat.
When I purchased the car about 5 years ago, it had a very nice custom 4 bucket seat interior, so that will stay the same.
The radio had been moved down to the custom center console, so I’ve mounted the motor controller in the vacant spot on the dash.
Total weight of the car will be more than a thousand pounds less than the Tesla, so performance should be better in all respects.
Hopefully all the electrics will be completed this summer & the performance will be verified.
doug6423

Re: I’m building a ‘67 Monza 4-door with Tesla drivetrain

Post by doug6423 »

Can't wait to see photos of your creation.

WE LOVE PHOTOS!!

:tu:
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
66vairguy

Re: I’m building a ‘67 Monza 4-door with Tesla drivetrain

Post by 66vairguy »

That sounds like a project and a half. Looking forward to pictures. It should be FAST.

The "resto-mod" era makes it obvious a lot of folks want the "old car look", but not old car brakes, suspension, and engines. With GM muscle cars you can install a modern crate V8 and overdrive automatic (or five/six speed manual), huge brakes, and suspension upgrades. Not so with the Corvair. I suspect "electrification" will be save the Corvair in the long run.

The Tesla track is very wide, how did you deal with that?

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”