When was the last time you saw an ash tray in a car?

Anything Corvair related
66vairguy

When was the last time you saw an ash tray in a car?

Post by 66vairguy »

A Corvair buddy who owed me a favor gave me an NOS ash tray light for an LM Corvair. It is a neat option.

I realized I can't remember the last time I saw an ashtray in a newer car. How times have changed.

The "cigarette lighter" is now a "power port".
2LZ

Re: When was the last time you saw an ash tray in a car?

Post by 2LZ »

I find it funny that the rear seats have ashtrays in my '65 Corsa. I jooked to Mrs. 2LZ last night,, "Ashtrays in the backseat. Just in case your 8 year old wants to fire up a Camel." :rolling:

The lack of ashtrays has really caused an issue here, especially during the dry months. Back when I was super-commuting, the fires on the edges of our two lane highway were a regular occurrence and would cause substantial damage to fences and farm land. We'd see the same commuters, flicking smokes out their windows. Contacted the authorities and they said they couldn't do anything unless an officer saw it happen. No wonder we burn every year here. :td:
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
Wittsend

Post by Wittsend »

Even my '61 Lakewood doesn't have an ash tray..., anymore! :chevy:
Attachments
Tach 3.JPG
'61 Lakewood in a coma for 50 years - now has a pulse
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

I am not a Smoker so I can sometimes be a bit rough on them, especially when they treat the planet like their own private Ash Tray.

For many Smokers, it doesn't matter how many Ash Trays their vehicle has, the often flick their butts out the window anyway.

If someone happens to witness their littering and call them out on it, more often than not they suggest it doesn't matter.

For those individuals that have that attitude, I would enjoy having a bucket full of Butts to dump on their lap and see if it doesn't matter to them then.

When I had the front seat in my Greenbrier reupholstered, I did not reinstall the Ash Tray in the back of it but did save it.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

My tray in classics are used for change and fuses. I don't haul around smoker as they know I won't let them smoke in any of my vehicles. Lost some friends but my car and clothes are odor free. Now I was a smoker for 28 years and respected others concerns about the smoke and smell. Seems nowadays the remaining smokers are as less tolerant like most people you meet in public that don't know you from adam.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Most new cars don’t seem to have them. The 2013 Mustang I used to own did not. My 2009 911 does.
David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible, 140/4sp
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera, 3.6L/7sp PDK
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

30 years ago a guy at work gave me a hard time because the one in my Rampside said ASH TRAY on it like it would be hard to figure out what it is.
Jim Brandberg
jfreez

Post by jfreez »

if you order a new car you can get a smokers package option that comes with the ash trays and lighters.

for my 65 I plan on putting USB power ports in the rear ash trays
erco

Post by erco »

The socket (power port) stayed on, but when did they stop providing the lighter itself?

My 67 Monza also has 2 side ashtrays in back.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

jfreez wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 am good article on it

https://www.thehogring.com/2012/04/28/w ... 0do%20that.
A good article. Also -- how could one smoke and use their cell phone while driving!!!!! :rolling:
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

66vairguy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:55 am
jfreez wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 am good article on it

https://www.thehogring.com/2012/04/28/w ... 0do%20that.
A good article. Also -- how could one smoke and use their cell phone while driving!!!!! :rolling:
...while eating your drive-thru burger! :rolling:
I had a road job a long time. It's possible! :clap:

I quit smoking 24 years ago. I don't think I could afford it now at over 10.00 a pack here. :doh: That said, I can't decide if I should completely restore the ashtrays in my Corsa and make them look brand new, or leave the "patina". They are long-beyond smelling at this point. Opinions?
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

I have a '68 Monza coupe that doesn't have rear ashtrays. It has the original upholstery with no holes so Chevy must have stopped putting them in. So does a '69 coupe still have them? My '69 conv has them.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Schuls1

Post by Schuls1 »

My 68 convertible has the trays in the rear, and the ash tray light in the front tray.

Stan,
Southwest Missouri
1968 Corvair Convertible
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

I purchased new door panels for my '65 Monza coupe and was able to get them without the ash tray holes cut into them.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner

Return to “Corvair Talk”