Changing fuel guage float

All Models and Years
barry8108

Changing fuel guage float

Post by barry8108 »

Hi, 63 convertible monza. My fuel guage stopped working and i was told by the mechanic at the classic car storage it is the float. I bought a brass float, i have searched but can not find where to change it with out dropping the tank, Any help would be apreciated, Thank you
Monzaguy

Re: Changing fuel guage float

Post by Monzaguy »

Try checking your ground wire first, that may be the culprit. I believe you should be able to change the float by removing the bung at the bottom of the tank where your fuel line comes out of it, and pulling the unit out. Check your "new" brass float first for pinholes, as this has been an issue with some. And of course, you will have to drain the tank first.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Probably a good idea to get a replacement seal for the gauge flange from Clark's or California Corvairs. Good chance that once disturbed, it will leak. I currently have the tank out of mine ('62 convertible) for cleaning - not a fun job. Dennis
irfgt

Post by irfgt »

Simple, drain the tank, remove the retaining ring, disconnect the wires, slide the unit out. The float then just clicks into place under a hook at the end of the rod. You have a 50/50 chance of the new float being any good no matter where or what material the new one is made of.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If you can afford it buy the lock ring tool from Clark's. Amazing tool and it makes the job much easier.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

joelsplace wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:38 pm If you can afford it buy the lock ring tool from Clark's. Amazing tool and it makes the job much easier.
Great comments, but I'd check the electrical first as someone suggested. There is a wire that goes to the float from the gauge, BUT as mentioned the fuel gauge mechanism MUST be grounded via a wire to the body as the tank to body contact is not the best. Often the ground wire is broken off, or corroded were screws to the body.

If sender is grounded, then when the wire from the gauge to the tank sender is removed the gauge should go to full. With the wire connected to ground the gauge should go to empty. That means the gauge an wiring are good. The sender either has a bad float, or the sender itself has failed, usually both due to corrosion.

Good luck.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

If sender is grounded, then when the wire from the gauge to the tank sender is removed the gauge should go to full.
No need for the sender to be grounded for this test! An open in a circuit is an open in the circuit, doesn't matter if the open is from the sender to ground or the sender to the gauge.:wink:

Yes the sender does need to be grounded to work. :tu:

Barry, is the gauge on empty all the time, on full all the time or stuck in the middle all the time?

Or are we asking questions that don't need to be asked anymore since the classic car storage mechanic already did the tests?
:vert: :wrench: :wrench: :transformer:

Drain fuel and then jack up the right front of the car (you may have already jacked it up to drain the fuel :wink: :wave: ). Take off the hose, (I know, probably already off form draining the fluid) disconnect the ground wire and unplug the brown wire to the gauge. Use the tool (Clarks sells them) or a screwdriver and hammer, careful, sparks here are a BIG PROBLEM! :exclamation: to turn the retainer CCW. Reverse to reinstall. :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
barry8108

Post by barry8108 »

Yes, my guage is always on empty, it was working half the time, and now is dead. I assume it was checked by the mechanic, thnak you
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

barry8108 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm Yes, my guage is always on empty, it was working half the time, and now is dead. I assume it was checked by the mechanic, thnak you
Even folks that don't have a lot of "car" experience, tools, or a works space can benefit from learning from others. It allows you to ask good questions of whoever works on your car. We all make general assumptions, but it is impossible to know exactly what a problem is until you start examining things.

A fellow I know just retired from teaching automotive repair at a local school. He said that even with today's "computer diagnostics" a good technician still has to take the information and determine what the failure is. A GOOD technician will find the problem and fix it with the minimal amount of time and parts. A less talented technician will cost the vehicle owner more in wasted time and parts.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”