Squeaky Clutch

All Models and Years
Scott H
Site Admin

Squeaky Clutch

Post by Scott H »

My clutch squeaks when I press the pedal downward. I've tried oiling some of the mechanism underneath. Is there a common place that causes this? I must have missed it because it still squeaks. :rolling: The sound is coming from rear of the car not the pedal.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
66vairguy

Re: Squeaky Clutch

Post by 66vairguy »

Scott H wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:18 pm My clutch squeaks when I press the pedal downward. I've tried oiling some of the mechanism underneath. Is there a common place that causes this? I must have missed it because it still squeaks. :rolling: The sound is coming from rear of the car not the pedal.
That could be a number of things. The "Z" bar between the body and drivetrain support has a ball on each end. Often this part goes dry. I've found a couple that were so badly worn they were junk. Most have a plug you can remove and install a zerk fitting (it's a big one) and pump the hollow bar full of grease. Of course after decades the old grease is usually hard. I dismantle the unit and clean it out, then pack it with grease. NOT saying that is your issue, just something to check.
caraholic4life

Re: Squeaky Clutch

Post by caraholic4life »

Scott,
Does this noise occur when the engine running or not, or does it only make noise if the engine is running?

IF it only makes noise when the engine is running, it could be the Throw Out Bearing, or possibly even the Pilot Bushing.

IF it makes noise when the engine is not running, It is most likely in the linkage.
In this situation, put it up in the air on jack stands or on a lift. Have someone in the car depress the clutch pedal while you inspect the linkage movement under the car and try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”