Rear Motor Mount

All Models and Years
Monzaguy

Rear Motor Mount

Post by Monzaguy »

65 Monza with a 95HP and PG. Slowly replacing worn out stuff. Took a good look at the rear MM and it looks to me like it is definitely shot, but I have nothing to compare it to, would appreciate feedback on the pics.
Checked Clarks and it seems 65 was a one off year for this mount, but the 66 thru 69 MM is a viable replacement. Looking at the 1965 service manual, it looks like an easy swap, however service manuals assume you are an experienced Corvair mechanic. When the engine is dropped a bit to replace the MM, do any fuel lines or other items need to be disconnected to avoid damage? As always, I appreciate the help this forum has given me over the years, Mark.
MM1.jpg
MM1.jpg (31.16 KiB) Viewed 290 times
MM2.jpg
MM2.jpg (74.92 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Spectre

Re: Rear Motor Mount

Post by Spectre »

No need to disconnect anything, you’re just going to lower maybe 2 inches.
David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible, 140/4sp
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera, 3.6L/7sp PDK
erco

Post by erco »

Yep, it's shot, so kiss $140 goodbye for a 66-69 style.

Easy to replace, just get a jack and a 2x6 under your oil pan to hold the motor up while you replace it. No need to disconnect any lines or linkages IIRC, you just lower the motor enough to clear the 2 downward studs on the motor mount.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

erco wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:22 pm Yep, it's shot, so kiss $140 goodbye for a 66-69 style.

Easy to replace, just get a jack and a 2x6 under your oil pan to hold the motor up while you replace it. No need to disconnect any lines or linkages IIRC, you just lower the motor enough to clear the 2 downward studs on the motor mount.
Please don't put a 2X6 under the oil pan to hold up engine. Some of the engines I have dismantled had the oil pump pick up "squashed" from someone holding the engine up via the oil pan. Use the rear skid plate.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Once the four bolts are out of the mount just lift it up, no need to lower the engine....

Of course this is after you support the engine (avoid the oil pan, use the rear bracket), remove the rear air grille, remove the cover over the two nuts, and possibly remove the oil filter for easier access).
:chevy:

The hardest part of this is removing and replacing the rear air grille. :eek:

Every other fastener should be easy to get to.
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

A block of wood all the way across will not hurt the pan but I'm sure some people would be capable of hurting it. You do not want to lower the engine but raise it up. As you are removing the nuts off of the 2 studs the body is raising up from the engine if the tires are still holding up the car. I have changed motor mounts without removing the rear grille. It is harder to do the mount but easier than replacing the grille.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Monzaguy

Post by Monzaguy »

Thanks for all the quick responses, :tu: very helpful. Got the order in to Clarks today and with luck all the snow will be gone by the time they get here. I appreciate all the help from this forum, Mark
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

All good advice, the 66 and up mount supersedes the one off 65 mount. Taking the grill off and putting it back on is a pain but doable, don’t remember how accessible the lower nuts are with the grill in place. My preference is to support the engine under the heavy skid plate in the rear, your mileage may vary.

Hope it goes smoothly.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
dryenko

Post by dryenko »

Once the four bolts are out of the mount just lift it up, no need to lower the engine....
Monzaguy

Post by Monzaguy »

gbullman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:14 pm All good advice, the 66 and up mount supersedes the one off 65 mount. Taking the grill off and putting it back on is a pain but doable, don’t remember how accessible the lower nuts are with the grill in place. My preference is to support the engine under the heavy skid plate in the rear, your mileage may vary.

Hope it goes smoothly.
Yeah, had the grill off once, was not fun.
Monzaguy

Post by Monzaguy »

dryenko wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:53 pm Once the four bolts are out of the mount just lift it up, no need to lower the engine....
Thank you sir
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

But you have to support the rear of the engine. Dennis

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”