EM heater box rebuild?

All Models and Years
joelsplace

EM heater box rebuild?

Post by joelsplace »

My '62 that I've been driving is overly enthusiastic about heating the car. It won't turn off. The fan turns off but the heat lever doesn't do much if anything. Fan off and heat lever up it still blows a significant amount of heat. This is going to be a problem with the A/C.
It has been a while since I rebuilt one of these heater boxes and my memory isn't working great. I've always done it when I had the engine out. Is it easier to drop the engine or remove the interior panel?
Does the heat door have a rubber seal? I can't find anything on Clark's but the felt insulation. Can I use inner tube or ???
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Dennis66

Re: EM heater box rebuild?

Post by Dennis66 »

I'll be watching this thread. I just had all my cables out a couple of weeks ago and now everything moves smoothly. I did notice how grungy the heat box looked and thought "Maybe I should have taken that out and cleaned everything up while the engine and trans were out of the car". Hindsight. It doesn't look like a lot of fun to remove an EM heat box with the drivetrain in the car. Dennis
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Joel, I think a piece of neoprene would handle heat better. If I remember correctly that "rubber" is on the air diverter box in back. Ill see if I have pics of one of my rebuilds.

I looked, did not find any. If I remember correctly there is a piece of rubber sandwiched between two metal plates that make up the seal mechanism.
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That's what I was guessing. Thanks for the confirmation.
Now the question is drop the power train or pull the interior panel?
Northlake, TX
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I just drop the lower shrouds in the summer..... :eek: No heat blowing into the car. :tu:

I don't think you can get to the heat flapper in the box from inside the car.

I find most flappers (heat, vent, etc) on cars over 20 years old need attention no matter the make. Just another restoration task, hence my shortcut...

My 66 4 door leaks more around the door glass and door weatherstripping than heat leaking in. :rolling: Got the AC cranking all the time in the summer.
:whoa:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

With the heat off mine is warm in a couple of miles when it is 30 degrees outside. No way the A/C is going to be able to overcome it.
I think you can get the entire heater box out from inside the car by removing the panel. I've never done it that way so I may be way off.
Northlake, TX
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I pulled my heater hoses off and it blows almost as hard and is still quite a bit above ambient temperature???
I guess there is a high pressure area around the heater box and the transaxle is heating the air?
It is much cooler and smells better than before but still is going to overcome the A/C in the summer. I guess I'll buy some rubber 4" plumbing caps to block the inlets.
Northlake, TX
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

Remove the nozzles from the engine and try putting a few lays of aluminum foil between them and the engine. A pie pan from Costco might also work. That is what I use to plug the upper 3" hose.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Wow! Are you sure the flapper door is closing, even with poor seals?
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The cable moves the arm and I made sure the arm is against whatever stops it. Maybe the door came loose from the shaft but I would think the arm wouldn't stop then. It does flow less with the lever up so I'm guessing the seal is just completely gone.
Northlake, TX
manvair

Post by manvair »

Mice ate the edge of the seal in my LM, I fixed it with disks of EPDM sheet and aluminum plate pop-riveted to one side of the existing flap. Oh, and the flap was bent into a broad V shape by being forced closed against mouse nests, etc. This meant that it could not close properly in either direction.
1965 Monza vert
Central VA
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

manvair wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:45 am Mice ate the edge of the seal in my LM, I fixed it with disks of EPDM sheet and aluminum plate pop-riveted to one side of the existing flap. Oh, and the flap was bent into a broad V shape by being forced closed against mouse nests, etc. This meant that it could not close properly in either direction.

I also had the edge of the seal on my LM chewed by mice. Fortunately I was able to acquire a good used one at the Corvair Ranch.

My next Heater Box rebuild will be for the Greenbrier at some point.
Attachments
IMG_6486 30pct.jpg
IMG_6487 30pct.jpg
IMG_6457 crop.jpg
IMG_6457 crop.jpg (62 KiB) Viewed 129 times
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
guthrie1068
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by guthrie1068 »

You guys are going to make me take mine apart now since my engine is out. I should have done it the first time I had it out but I was in a big hurry. Mine seems like it is working fine, but I'm sure it is a mess in there. Here we go...
Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”