Trusted Source for New Mechanical Fuel Pump

All Models and Years
doug6423

Trusted Source for New Mechanical Fuel Pump

Post by doug6423 »

Does anyone have a trusted source for a new mechanical fuel pump for a LM??

Or it doesn't matter because they are all made in PRC?

Thanks,
Doug
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Trusted Source for New Mechanical Fuel Pump

Post by davemotohead »

Well supposedly Clarks has a new one that is supposed to actually work? :dontknow:
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

Here's the link:
https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=65

Electric pumps are on the next page if you just want to give up, lol. Many have. Hoping these work out. If you get one please keep us updated on how it worked for you. Update: Nevermind looks like they're out of stock:
This part C6600R is currently out of stock. You may still order, you will not be charged and you will be notified when we have this part.
Has an ETA of Fall 2024
Last edited by jmiahman on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 Mystery Monza Corvair (named Rusty) Engine ID: T0602YD
Jeremiah from QueenCreek, AZ
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

The Clark's reproduction pumps are as of the moment still unavailable and the current anticipated availability date is late Summer/Fall 2024.

You might try Jeff at the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg PA http://corvairranch.com/
He installed a New Mechanical Fuel Pump in my Greenbrier back in March 2022 and after over 3,000 miles it was still functioning well when I parked it this past fall.
Attachments
Screenshot taken about five minutes prior to posting reply.
Screenshot taken about five minutes prior to posting reply.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

Both of the ones currently listed by Clarks are either discontinued or out of stock. They have a new one that was due out last year and then due spring/summer this year. I'm on the list for one. In the meantime my engine install project (which I need to add to this forum) needs a new fuel pump. There is plenty on the internet, just didn't know if anyone trusted one source more than another. Or it roll the dice and hope for the best. :banghead:

Nope, not ready to go to an electrical fuel pump just yet.. :chevy:
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
erco

Post by erco »

What a ridiculous problem to have in 2024. No one can make a fuel pump like they did 60 years ago. It's rubber and springs, not rocket science.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

doug6423 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:19 pm Both of the ones currently listed by Clarks are either discontinued or out of stock. They have a new one that was due out last year and then due spring/summer this year. I'm on the list for one. In the meantime my engine install project (which I need to add to this forum) needs a new fuel pump. There is plenty on the internet, just didn't know if anyone trusted one source more than another. Or it roll the dice and hope for the best. :banghead:

Nope, not ready to go to an electrical fuel pump just yet.. :chevy:
In the past year, I have purchased close to a half dozen "NOS", "New Old Rebuilt Stock" and or "New Old Aftermarket" pumps to carry in the two Corvairs I currently have tagged and on the road.

Since July 2020 I have installed no less than three mechanical fuel pumps in my '65 Monza convertible, all of which were ones that had failed me when I was not at home and the engine was at operating temperatures. This past year the convertible got started once and driven only a few hundred feet. The Greenbrier has seen all the miles this past year.

I had decided to install an electric pump on the convertible, purchased all the parts I thought I would need then stopped the process when Clark''s announced their reproduction pump would be available. I have had four of them on Order for a while now and plan on following through when they become available.

In the mean time....Mechanical Fuel Pumps seem to be a shot in the dark as to they work or not for any length of time, which is why I have acquires so many as spares. I carry at least one in each vehicle as a spare at this point.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
erco

Post by erco »

caraholic4life wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:37 pm
doug6423 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:19 pm In the mean time....Mechanical Fuel Pumps seem to be a shot in the dark as to they work or not for any length of time, which is why I have acquires so many as spares. I carry at least one in each vehicle as a spare at this point.
Is it the diaphragm failing, or valves, or what?
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

What a ridiculous problem to have in 2024. No one can make a fuel pump like they did 60 years ago. It's rubber and springs, not rocket science.

RIGHT! But alas, here we are. I wonder if other cars are having this same issue? We (Corvairs) had the vapor lock issue with mechanicals back in the early 80s. Now and then a leaky one and rarer was the one that leaked into the crankcase (and these were known of on other engines also back then, no not just us).
That is when several Corvair mechanics started only installing electric pumps, like Steve Goodman. I installed maybe 10 or so then. And suddenly mechanical pumps started being O for many years. Now back to crap..... :rafman: :angry: :eek: :helpsos: :helpsos: :helpsos: :helpsos: :helpsos:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

erco wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:36 pm What a ridiculous problem to have in 2024. No one can make a fuel pump like they did 60 years ago. It's rubber and springs, not rocket science.
Like it's always said, they don't make them like they used to, now we're (or rather Clarks is) dealing with trying to get them to make them like they used to. Cutting corners and getting a "just works" mechanical product is hard, so China is failing fairly miserably. You can only copy so much, eventually it will bite you if you don't actually know what you're doing. I don't think most companies that make them really care if they work, but if they sell. Hopefully Clarks is working with those that do care. Guess we'll see.
1960 Mystery Monza Corvair (named Rusty) Engine ID: T0602YD
Jeremiah from QueenCreek, AZ
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Not surprised. Out here with the ethanol fuel, we have to re-hose or re-carb all of our yard and property equipment, probably every year or two. The intake hose will simply fall off at the fuel level, if it's stored in one position for any length of time. I've fixed a ton of my friends equipment. The ethanol hates the soft parts. I'm not shocked at all that if it's the diaphragm in the Corvair fuel pump that takes a dump, though I'm not sure what the overall failure is on these new ones.
My electric pump/filter setup is ordered from Clark's, as we speak.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I am frustrated too and recently began working on a way to replace the soft parts for my own pumps since I have several Corvairs on the road. It's more difficult than it should be since materials available today are just not what they once were. So far, I have about 400 miles on one of the pumps and another on a friend's Corsa but it is way too early to claim any success.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I also have been of the "not rocket science" school of thought at various times.
As to "Is it the diaphragm failing or valves or what?" question, I would say yes those and more through the years since AC quit making them.
They are more complicated than some of the others of the day that hung off the side of the engine and were operated by a big lever with lots of travel and merely drip on the ground or quit pumping when they give up the ghost.
The Corvair fuel pump only moves about 1/8" up and own inside. A slight variation can spell disaster for the fabric and/or affect the fuel pressure. They seem to have trouble successfully attaching the fabric to the rod in the center. A very slight variation in the tapered spring can influence fuel pressure dramatically. Gas leaking can end up in the engine oil going in one direction or flung about the engine compartment by the fan belt going in the other direction or huffing out of the top hole in a fine mist in yet another direction. The valves can come out if not staked properly. Last but not least the center section cast from cheap aluminum can warp.
I believe the last one to have a real shot at it was Airtex but they were bought out by a big conglomerate.
I really hope the Clarks attempt at it goes well.
I gave it a sporting attempt as long as I could but threw up my hands in despair a few years ago. I still have to deal with them as they show up and some seem fine. I applaud Brizo and some others who are successful with them.
It's very expensive for me to convert to electric in a safe and sound manner. That path too has danger of stepping in Chinese crap.
And believe it or not that's my short answer.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

I only disagree with Jim on:

The ones on the side of the engine were the first pumps I heard of filling the crankcase with gasoline when they failed. And why not, they have been on the sides of engines since AC invented them in 1929 or so! :chevy:

They are no more complicated than the ones that are on the side of the engine. Diaphragms and check valves with a spring to make the fuel pressure. The ones on the side of an engine also have levers and fulcrum points to deal with. And modern side of the engine ones are crimped, so no DIY fixing them!

All this leads to: are we the only ones? With issues I mean. :question: :eek: :helpsos: :helpsos: :helpsos: :helpsos: :helpsos: :swerve: :swerve: :swerve:

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
CACorvairs

Post by CACorvairs »

"What a ridiculous problem to have in 2024. No one can make a fuel pump like they did 60 years ago. It's rubber and springs, not rocket science."

From my experience doing manufacturing overseas:

1. Finding a REPUTABLE manufacturer to manufacture the pump in Taiwan or China since the few US manufacturers won't
even talk to you.

2. Paying $10,000.00 - $15.000.00 plus for initial tooling.

3. Purchasing materials (likely from Taiwan or China) since procuring materials here is expensive and pricey to ship
to the manufacturer.

4. Producing test samples and having them shipped to the US.

5. Paying for the initial run (usually in the 100's of pieces) and the freight to get them here. Once they arrive
you have bought them good, bad or otherwise.

6. Developing a sell price and hoping the 100's of "new" pumps are as good as the samples you tested.

7. Dealing with bad pumps and returns.

All of this must be done knowing the market is small and getting smaller especially when may have gone electric.

Pretty risky investment with a low return over a long period of time.

Hopefully Clarks is willing to take the chance for those who wish to remain using a stock pump.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

A good summary by CACorvairs

A couple decades back Taiwan had a reputable industrial manufacturing base and some of the old car parts were top quality. Over the years many Taiwan companies moved their manufacturing to mainland China to take advantage of lower costs. This was part of China's "friendly" approach to Taiwan, but now that has a gone sour so the companies in China went on their own and have no Taiwan management oversight. Taiwan has re-focused it's manufacturing on making electronic chips (some of the most advanced chip factories in the world) as that is were the money is.

I know of folks who have to deal with "off-shore" manufacturing. Between deteriorating relations with China and increased shipping costs, time zone differences, not to mention little recourse to get compensation when things go bad, the advantage of going off-shore is in decline. Bottom line --- it will cost more to get things made, or they will not be available.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”