1965 Corsa Coupe

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
2LZ

Re: 1965 Corsa Coupe

Post by 2LZ »

Thanks guys, will do
I got the idea, not just because of appearance and ease of getting to the carbs for adjustment, but I was reading (it's on the internet, so it has to be true, right? :rolling: ) that the Fitch 140 states this:

"Fitch modifications to the '65 model enhanced the stock 140 horsepower Corsa into a more spirited car. Changes in the engine compartment included individual air cleaners for the 4 carburetors, an upgraded crankcase breather and 3 degrees of additional ignition advance. Advertised horsepower was 155."

I figured while I was in there, I'd do these mods.

Now, on to the next discovery. While the first primary carb I rebuilt was missing the Acc pump well return spring, the second primary carb I took apart is missing the main well insert. :td: I guess I better open the secondary carbs to see if someone dropped it in one of those. I don't believe the secondary's use one since it's used to fix hot starting problems????????? I'm scouring Bob Helt's book while we speak.

EDIT: I now see the secondary (H) carbs also use the well insert, thanks to one of Brads very informative posts. Guess I better tear the secondary's apart and see what they're missing before making an order. :doh:
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

RexJohnson wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:25 pm The bad thing with a stand along filter for the PCV tube is all engines have some blow by. Some have more than others but all of the blow by will be pushed out of the filter and sucked into the cooling fan. After that all of the fine oil vapor will stick to all of the engine cooling fins which will cause dirt to stick and block air passages. They look good but I wouldn't want to be putting the oil vaper in the cooling system.
A good explanation, but that is NOT the worst of it ---- Engine blow by contains CARBON MONOXIDE and IF the heater is on it will get sucked into the heater system by the engine cooling fan!! Keep in mind carbon monoxide poisoning is accumulative. Even a little over time will bond to blood hemoglobin (and it blocks oxygen uptake). Even mild exposure can leave you with symptoms for awhile until the old hemoglobin is replaced by new. When exposure is high enough, then paralysis of the muscles causes you to stop breathing. Pilots of aircraft with engine hot air heaters are well aware of this.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Dennis66 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:06 pm You're obviously not going for a stock appearance (nothing wrong with that). Get an oil catch can and attacth it o your PCV tube and the filter to the other end. Dennis
Ordered a catch can with filter. I know this setup isn't popular here but it should seal up the system much better than just running a filter. Now to tear into the other H carbs and make a list. I love the fact Corvair parts are readily available, but with the shipping....BUNDLE the orders! :tu: Clark's has been nice enough to bundle my multiple orders together. :tu:
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

At a stall in the engine bay, waiting on parts. Poured a glass of wine for Mrs. 2LZ and dragged her out to the shop for some parts I had ready to go, so we hit the interior.
I posted the seat covers in another thread, but I'll post that pic here also, along with the new seat belts installed and the rear window rubbers. Felt good to get something done, even in the middle of a storm. The metal shop gets deafening when it hails. Wow...... :doh:
Attachments
Seat covers.jpg
window rubbers.jpg
seat belts.jpg
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

Carb float bowl screw question. To start, yes, the carbs are a mess. Plus they've been missing a few items such as accelerator pump return springs and one main well insert, so I won't be surprised if other items are missing as I go through the four of them.

Long question short, after Mrs. 2LZ and I scoured the shop floor like Carpet Beetles for the "missing carb screw", I now see online that the one screw I was looking for may not exist on the primary carbs??? It seems odd that the gasket runs through this hole but there is no screw to cinch it down???? I see both online in pics. Carbs with no screws in that hole and some have a screw there. Please see red arrow.

I borrowed this photo from the fine folks at Wolf Enterprises, because it clearly show my area of concern. Input please?
Attachments
Carb screws.jpg
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

After all these decades the carburetor screws are usually in sad shape. Clark's sells a kit containing new carburetor screws.

See -- https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C5021
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

66vairguy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am After all these decades the carburetor screws are usually in sad shape. Clark's sells a kit containing new carburetor screws.

See -- https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C5021
Actually, I was surprised that for how old they are, a little wire wheel action brought them back to life. I see the sets at Clark's and they're on the list, just in case.
I have to tell you, these are the first carbs I've ever worked on to where it takes a green bottle torch to get the main jets out. :pray:
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

A screw that attaches the carb cross shaft goes in that hole. Alot of the time they are not in there because they are removed to remove the cross shaft. Same thing on the secondaries as they hold on the bell crank. They should have a phillips head on them.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

RexJohnson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 am A screw that attaches the carb cross shaft goes in that hole. Alot of the time they are not in there because they are removed to remove the cross shaft. Same thing on the secondaries as they hold on the bell crank. They should have a phillips head on them.
Excellent! I'll check the cross shaft. I've de-rusted and painted all that so it's probably with it. Thank you. Yep, the secondary's had the three Phillips screws.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

66vairguy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:12 am Just me --- but when an engine has sat for years. I change the oil and filter, pull the distributor and install a dummy shaft to spin up the oil pump while a buddy rotates the engine BY HAND. This primes all the oil galleries and forces new oil into the bearing channels. If all goes well, then the distributor goes back in, set the timing, and fire it up.
Pre-oiling went well. Gauge showed about 40 at higher rpms, though I know 35 or so is spec. Who knows how accurate the gauge may be. Slow spin was about 25-30. Rotated the motor over a half dozen times during the process. No odd noises or crunching.

Compression check is next on the docket. Need to know if all the holes are good before we go any further. Don't want to start assembling if I need to drop the motor.

After copious amounts of reading and research, I finally figured out a PCV system I'll go with to do the separate air filter system correctly. It's a hybrid between the Davemotohead/Brad Brodie system, with catch can.

Also, I got the Clark's electric fuel pump mounted in the engine compartment with all metal hoses and metal filter. As advised, no rubber or plastic. I did use a fancier isolating mount to the frame rail than the metal strap it came with. Should eliminate any noise running into the body of the car. Next, I need to get the alternator and other items mounted to finish the metal line bending between the pump and the now "faux mechanical pump". The bender and double flare tool have been priceless. You don't use those tools often but when you do, makes life easy.

I'll get pics as it's coming together.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

As advised, all metal under the hood for the fuel, including line and filter. It's not the prettiest, but it should do well. I have to tell you, I ordered a roll of steel line, instead of aluminum. This stuff was a PAIN to work with, bend and flare. Super, super stiff. I even used my rubber jaws in my bench vice to try to make the "straights" straight. It ain't going anywhere, that's for sure.....
I brought it out of the old pump to line up just under the "Tee" so both incoming and outgoing lines can still be clipped together once the shroud is on and it's assembled.
Attachments
Fuel Pump and Line.jpg
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

2LZ wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:29 pm
Dennis66 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:06 pm You're obviously not going for a stock appearance (nothing wrong with that). Get an oil catch can and attacth it o your PCV tube and the filter to the other end. Dennis
Ordered a catch can with filter. I know this setup isn't popular here but it should seal up the system much better than just running a filter. Now to tear into the other H carbs and make a list. I love the fact Corvair parts are readily available, but with the shipping....BUNDLE the orders! :tu: Clark's has been nice enough to bundle my multiple orders together. :tu:
Instead of putting a filter on the catch can - run a hose to the engine air cleaner. It will keep oil mist out of the air cleaner, yet will allow carbon monoxide fumes to be ingested by the running engine. Just a thought.
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

Your engine fan looks like it has been cut down. Smaller diameter.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

66vairguy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 pm Instead of putting a filter on the catch can - run a hose to the engine air cleaner. It will keep oil mist out of the air cleaner, yet will allow carbon monoxide fumes to be ingested by the running engine. Just a thought.
That's what I'll be doing as a hybrid between the two systems (Davemotohead/BBodie). I bought a used orifice tube from CA Corvair and will be cutting that short just past the orifice. I'll be adding the exhaust couplers (already purchased, see pic) to the air cleaners to run a fitting to the right bank primary carb, for the part that usually runs to the air filter. I still need to add the fitting.

Then I'll run the orifice line to the catch can, then to the balance tube. I bought four of the exhaust sleeves to keep the incoming air the same on all four carbs. I thought what's the point of balancing the carbs if only one has a stack on it for the fitting. Besides, appearance. I want all the filters the same height.

So I don't need the filter on the catch can? I figured it was for relieving any possible backfire pressure. I'll leave it sealed up if that's not needed.

Thanks for the input guys. I want this right.
Attachments
carb sleeve.jpg
Last edited by 2LZ on Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

RexJohnson wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm Your engine fan looks like it has been cut down. Smaller diameter.
No kidding? I'll have to research this.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

[qu" like the te=RexJohnson post_id=136395 time=1711750580 user_id=11774]
Your engine fan looks like it has been cut down. Smaller diameter.
[/quote]
You're correct and thanks for pointing it out. I took a tape to it. I see the stock mag fan for my year is supposed to be 11.25", and this one is like the Stinger fan at 9.5". I'm not worried about sitting in traffic living in a town of 103 people, though. I guess the advantage is supposed to be less HP to spin it, and from what I've read, less belt tossing.

Any input on this would be great, and I don't doubt this car has been modded somewhere along the line. The Trust I bought it from had MANY Corvair's, many of them modified. They're currently selling a "Coronado" V8 car.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”