Lack of "Chevrolet" emblems

Anything Corvair related
barlowjames

Lack of "Chevrolet" emblems

Post by barlowjames »

My wife mentioned this to me some time ago and I never thought much of it but for some reason I got curious today.

Our car is specifically a 62 Monza and there is not a single thing that identifies it as a Chevrolet. No Bowtie, or script emblems. Nothing.

I take that back, the name plate in the engine bay says Chevrolet but that's all I can find.

Was thinking maybe they had been removed by previous owners so headed to Clark's to look for emblems and there wasn't much to be found.

So first, is my car missing them or did the Corvair just not have anything identifying it as a Chevrolet?

Second, if they didn't come with emblems.....why?

I understand I am looking at this thru the lens of a classic car owner who wants to show off what I'm driving so it's easy to think "why wouldn't there be emblems on it".

Just curious to know if there is a story about why the designers did what they did.
toms73novass

Re: Lack of "Chevrolet" emblems

Post by toms73novass »

In 62 the center front "grill" has a bowtie.
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

The 1960 cars have a large Chevrolet emblem on the deck lid.
Attachments
55AE0EF6-5098-48FA-832F-2E57B4DC02A9.jpeg
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

For whatever reason I’ve been thinking about the same thing lately. On my 66 Corsa the only bow ties I’m aware of are on the front trim (trunk lock cover) and on the side view mirrors. I don’t believe the word Chevrolet is anywhere visible on the car.

But then again Chevelles from that era only had minimal bow ties and no Chevrolet script as well.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

Also, I had heard, not sure of validity, that GM was trying to make the Corvair name like an offshoot of Chevy. They were trying to brand it as its own name, sort of like Toyota did with the Lexus name. In 61 They started with a whole line of vehicles that were unique to the Corvair brand, wagons, pickups, vans etc.
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
barlowjames

Post by barlowjames »

Well there it is.

Car came with the red paint, which I do like, but the Bowtie looks like some accidental splatter unless your right on top of it. Repainting these is on my list.
toms73novass wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:00 am Also, I had heard, not sure of validity, that GM was trying to make the Corvair name like an offshoot of Chevy. They were trying to brand it as its own name, sort of like Toyota did with the Lexus name. In 61 They started with a whole line of vehicles that were unique to the Corvair brand, wagons, pickups, vans etc.
I figured there was a story to this of some kind so I would absolutely believe this. Scott H posted that the 60 had an emblem but then they just seemed to go in a different direction after that.

Might order a few of the 60 emblems and mount them just because I like the look of other classic cars when I have seen them.
Attachments
20240222_084054.jpg
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

toms73novass wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:00 am Also, I had heard, not sure of validity, that GM was trying to make the Corvair name like an offshoot of Chevy. They were trying to brand it as its own name, sort of like Toyota did with the Lexus name. In 61 They started with a whole line of vehicles that were unique to the Corvair brand, wagons, pickups, vans etc.
This is true. In the 50s, the notion of a brand was still to come. Then, "Chevrolet " was a car line of similarly styled sedans, wagons, etc. Corvette and Corvair were independent lines and often/usually titled that way.
In the early 50s, Chevrolet made one thing. By the mid sixties the division had five lines. The "brand family" concept was invented and developed as makers added lines to their portfolios.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

cnicol wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:29 am
This is true. In the 50s, the notion of a brand was still to come. Then, "Chevrolet " was a car line of similarly styled sedans, wagons, etc. Corvette and Corvair were independent lines and often/usually titled that way.
In the early 50s, Chevrolet made one thing. By the mid sixties the division had five lines. The "brand family" concept was invented and developed as makers added lines to their portfolios.
A good observation Craig. Before the 60's the BIG 3 only made one size car. Prices varied depending on equipment level. There was a type of differentiation. Chevy used Impala, Bel Air, Biscayne to separate the same car into three classes. Ford and Plymouth did the same thing. Then the BIG 3 noticed the independents (Rambler and Studebaker) were doing a nice business in "compacts" not to mention VW and Renault were starting to make gains. Hard to say which of the Big 3 started the race to build a "compact", but the 1960 model year had a compact from each of the Big 3 car makes. Then Ford invented the "intermediate" Fairlane after noticing the popularity of the Mercury Comet (a stretched Falcon). Chevy and Plymouth responded also.

Anyway -- some who have studied this say it basically led to the Big 3 not really selling that many more cars, just a lot of DIFFERENT cars. With all the different sizes the cost to design, make parts, store parts, assemble cars increased a LOT and profits dropped!!! By the 70's quality dropped trying to save money, the fuel embargo put the Japanese compacts in the spot light and eventually GM went into bankruptcy.

Personally I'm glad Chevrolet made the Corvair, but it was a lousy business decision. Ford made a lot more money off the conventional Falcon due to lower design and build costs. That said I suspect there are a lot more Corvairs around now vs. Falcons.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

The A/C on EMs has 2 bow ties on it and the "air conditioned" sticker in the back lite was a bow tie. The late FCs have Chevrolet on the side emblems.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

Didn't all of the FC's say Chevrolet on the back?
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

RexJohnson wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:19 am Didn't all of the FC's say Chevrolet on the back?
My '64 Greenbrier has the following:
The front Grille says Chevrolet as well as having the Chevrolet "Bow Tie".
The Greenbrier emblems on both front doors also say "By Chevrolet" as well as a small Chevrolet "Bow Tie"
The rear door has an emblem that says Chevrolet.

The Wheel Covers have the Chevrolet "Bow Tie" on them as does the Horn Button on the Steering Wheel and the Tissue Dispenser.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I don't recall either my 1966 or 1967 Chevelle SS396s having any bowties or saying Chevrolet anywhere. "SS 396" on the grille and center of rear panel, "Super Sport" on each quarter panel and above the glove box on the dash. IIRC my '68 Malibu did have something on the grille, and my '69 SS396 didn't say Chevrolet any where either. Dennis
jfreez

Post by jfreez »

most cars had a bowtie on the radio. all the early seat belts had them too until around 65 when it went to the fisher carriage.
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

The 62 front grille pieces in stock form were painted black in the inlay areas. Someone painted them red to personalize the car. :tu:

Only the 65 grille bar had painted red inlays. The '64 had a multicolor bowtie plastic center in the grille bar, and so did the 60 models. The 60 is quite nice looking.

OK, OK, the FC grille has a red bowtie!
:doh:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Doug Ward

Post by Doug Ward »

One of the 3 Rampsides I had didn't have the word Chevrolet on the tailgate. But it DID have the word " T R U C K" on it. In large, block chrome letters. It got a lot of smilies & comments too.
2LZ

Post by 2LZ »

That's really weird, now that you mention it. I'm a total newby to the Corvair World, (other than seeing tons as a kid) and have only had the car since Saturday. Every single person who has come to see it.....first question, "Who made it?" I say Chevy. The only emblems I have are on the hubcaps. No Chevrolet script or bowtie outside anywhere else.
"Light a fire for a man, and you heat him for a day. Light a man on fire, and you heat him for the rest of his life."

Return to “Corvair Talk”