E brake concerns

All Models and Years
m37aswell

E brake concerns

Post by m37aswell »

The E brake lever on my 65 Corvair seems to be close to the limit of its travel and the adjustment underneath is maxed out. Apparently, the cable can stretch over time, so I had better do something soon. Has anyone ever had an instance where the cable has snapped, and the car has rolled away? The lever does not ratchet all that well either. I really don't totally trust it too much and keep a small wheel chock with me. How much of a pain is it to replace the cable? I have not looked at the lever ratcheting mechanism just yet, I wonder if I can fix that or if I might have to get another lever from a boneyard Corvair?
Frank DuVal

Re: E brake concerns

Post by Frank DuVal »

Yes, I have had an e-brake cable snap, back in '77 and used hardware wire rope and saddle clamps to fix it. Just last weekend we had a club tech session and a '63 was using "split-bolts" to splice an e-brake cable coming out of the tunnel. Coincidental in that those are used by electricians, were installed by a previous owner in another state, and the new owner works in her electrical contracting family! :clap:

Usual failures are in the back near the adjustment threaded end and under the dash over the pulleys. I would check the pulleys in case you need to order them too.

Doesn't Roger Parent make better pulleys? :think:

:tu: :Spyder: :wrench: :rallye:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I had one snap and now I'm very paranoid about it. I try to park in places where nothing will happen if it does. Only a problem with automatics since you can leave manuals in gear. I also had a lever with a flaky ratchet that would let go at random. Scary.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Brizo

Post by Brizo »

joelsplace wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:16 am I had one snap and now I'm very paranoid about it. I try to park in places where nothing will happen if it does. Only a problem with automatics since you can leave manuals in gear. I also had a lever with a flaky ratchet that would let go at random. Scary.
That is usually because the ratchet parts in the handle need to be lubed.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Mine was worn teeth on the pawl on a fairly low mileage '64.
Northlake, TX
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Sounds right, low miles on a PG because it was driven around town in short trips means a lot of parking brake (not an e-brake in this use :think: ) operations. Unlike a highway driven manual transmission where no one uses the parking brake unless a steep hill is parked upon. :tu:

:02: :thewave:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Actually the PG car snapped a cable. The '64 is a 4-speed. I'm guessing maybe it started out as needing lube and someone used it a lot and let it slip a lot? I've had plenty of cars with a lot more miles with no issues.
Northlake, TX
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

Replacing the cable is sort of a pain. Hardest thing is getting it into the pulleys where there is an extra guide over it that prevents it from coming up out of the pulley. I don't remember offhand which is worse, EM or LM. It's not one my favorite jobs and would appreciate knowing tips or tricks.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I have been driving Corvairs since 1969, and riding in family Corvairs since 1961. I have never had a parking brake cable or pulley fail — although I did have a couple of clutch cables snap without warning — a frustrating life event! :banghead:

HOWEVER...

I am paranoid about the possibility of a parking brake cable snapping in my 1966 Monza with Powerglide transmission. The majority of my Corvairs over the years have been equipped with 4-speed manual transmissions, and I leave those Corvairs in gear in addition to setting the parking brake. Only one (my current Monza sedan) has had a Powerglide automatic transmission. When parking that car, I ASSUME that the parking brake cable will fail whenever I park on a hill, slope, or driveway that would spell disaster if the parking brake cable were to fail. Because of that possibility, I carry wheel chocks in my car, and ALWAYS place one under a tire in addition to setting the parking brake. It is cheap insurance and provides peace of mind. :tongue: :tu:

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wheel+chocks ... doa-p_1_11

Parking on a hill
  • When you stop headed down hill: Turn your front wheels toward the curb or side of the road.
  • When you stop headed up hill where there is a curb: Turn your front wheels away from the curb and let your truck go back until the back right front wheel rests against the curb.
  • When you stop headed up hill where there is NO curb: Turn your front wheels sharply towards the right curb.
    PARKING ON FLAT SURFACES
  • When parked on a flat surface, park within 12 inches of the curb and turn your front wheels toward the curb or side of the road.

Be sure to inspect your parking brake pulleys and cables as part of your routine maintenance inspections. Even the newest Corvairs are starting to age!
:oldtimer:

:chevy:
Attachments
Roger Parent Catalog 8-22-2020.pdf
See Page 6 for Parking Brake Pulley
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 17 times
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - BRAKES.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - BRAKES
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 5 - BRAKES.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 5 - BRAKES
(4.6 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes
(923.04 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by bbodie52 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I wish I could remember to do that. Good idea.
Northlake, TX
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

That parking on a hill diagram was in my driver's license manual back in the day. I still remember it, even if I don't always do it due to parallel parking. I DO remember it when I'm using my Ford 8N, since it really doesn't have brakes :rolling: :transformer: :omgosh:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”