New owner, New member

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
toms73novass

Re: New owner, New member

Post by toms73novass »

Welcome! Looking at you tag it looks like paint 925 to me, but again I'm looking at photo.

Crocus Cream
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

Yes, I tink you're right. It is for sure Crocus Cream (or something close enough), has a Jade interior. Fun colors.
1960 Mystery Monza Corvair (named Rusty) Engine ID: T0602YD
Jeremiah from QueenCreek, AZ
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

I was able to get the power train out and it cleaned up, looks like it has a 3-speed manufactured in 63 ID is 3826176 I guess the all-aluminum 4 speeds had issues (or would have), there was a RPO (651) for 4-speed in 60 and my Engine ID is listed as 4 Speed (ID ends in YD), in any case, something was swapped at some point for a 63 3-speed. The model matches information for 63 FC transmissions (probably used in both) https://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/codes.php Now I am confirming the horsepower by getting out the cam and taking a closer look. The engine ID month matches the month in the 1960 Body Tag so I have reason to believe the engine is still original and a 95HP, but we will see. That almost seems to be more of a mystery than the 4-speed trans. If it was supposed to be a 4-speed I would like to make it one, obviously can't with an original trans as they were problematic if they existed.. According to Wikipedia:

"The advertised February introduction of a full synchromesh, four-speed transmission (RPO 651) was postponed until the 1961 model year. This was due to casting problems with the aluminum three-speed transmission case which resulted in technical service bulletins to dealers advising of the potential for differential failure due to external leaks at the front of the transmission's counter gear shaft." [1]

but would like it to be what it claims to be lol. I guess we'll see.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

I've also had a lot of fun shining things up
oil-cap.jpg
amongst all the grease of tearing things down.
engine.jpg

Return to “Introductions”