Carbs from Wolfs

All Models and Years
manofsteel

Carbs from Wolfs

Post by manofsteel »

Let me start by saying That Wolfs Carb is helping me out by taking them back and going to rebuild them, Thanks to that! But is wrong and hopefully will be fixed soon is that the carb sounds like it doing a lot of 'GURGLING WHEN RUNNING" AND ALSO THE TIMING IS SET SO FAR ahead that the exhaust smell is unbearable. An ideas of what could be wrong? Cant wait to return soon being fixed . It is a 1965 Monza 140 convertible. So what you all think
cnicol

Re: Carbs from Wolfs

Post by cnicol »

It's hard to guess but I will mention common causes for your engine's symptoms.

Gurgling, or what I would call spitting-sound is often excessive idle fuel. One way the old timers set idle mixture was to listen inside the carburetor throat using a hose and reduce idle mixture until the spitting sound stopped.
If the idle fuel system isn't working, guys will crank-open the throttle plate (Idle RPM adjustment) to compensate and the will cause the engine to "idle on the main jet" and this sounds hissy/spitty.

If an engine requires excessive advance in order to idle, that's a sign of lean air-fuel ratio. Vacuum leaks on Corvairs are usually base gaskets, balance tube hose leaks, or misconnected/incorrect PCV systems.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

I just rebuilt a set of carbs for my van and I have the same issue. I'm going to try lowering the fuel level a touch. That may not work and I may have to change the cluster.
When I get the engine back in the van I'll try to post here with the results.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
manofsteel

Post by manofsteel »

Good answers about problem with carbs but no one answered the issue about advancing the timing so much more and the excessive exhaust smell. Any thoughts about that issue?
kmart356

Post by kmart356 »

Here is a discussion on Timing off. If you did not change the timing on purpose, some ideas there for you.
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

manofsteel wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:04 am Good answers about problem with carbs but no one answered the issue about advancing the timing so much more and the excessive exhaust smell. Any thoughts about that issue?
Actually, I did touch on the reasons for your engine needing high timing advance:
"If an engine requires excessive advance in order to idle, that's a sign of lean air-fuel ratio. Vacuum leaks on Corvairs are usually base gaskets, balance tube hose leaks, or misconnected/incorrect PCV systems"
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

I had a very weak coil cause the need to advance the timing alot to make it run. Apparently there was not enough spark to fire the plugs under compression but, if you advanced the timing so the plugs fired before the compression got too high then it would run.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
manofsteel

Post by manofsteel »

So what should I actually spend time fixing and how do I test for a weak coil? Thanks
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

For testing a coil there are inexpensive adjusted spark checks that you could use. On the one that I have a inch gap says that it takes 40k to jump that far. That would be more than you probably need. Another way is to trade a coil off of a known good running car and see if anything changes.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”