Oil slinger on all motors?

All Models and Years
Whozaa

Oil slinger on all motors?

Post by Whozaa »

I'm in the middle of breaking down a 102hp motor (not sure of the year) and I notice that it doesn't have an oil slinger next to the distributor gear on the crankshaft. Is it supposed to? I'm 99% sure that this motor has been apart before so maybe they forgot to put it back in?
--- 63 Monza 2dr PG ---
St Louis, MO
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Oil slinger on all motors?

Post by davemotohead »

I think GM Removed it for 62-63 engines and then reinstalled it in 64-69 engines because the 63's leaked, just like the 63 - 3 plate oil cooler that was a complete 1 year only joke, They were always trying to pinch pennies, if it does not have one install one as they are needed. :tu:
Whozaa

Post by Whozaa »

Thanks for the confirmation. I've ordered one from California Corvairs along with some other odds and ends. Like an 8 row cooler to replace the 3 row that's on there now lol!

This motor is a bit of a mystery. I looked up the head and block numbers and it came up as a 102hp. The car is a 63 Monza PG originally with the 84hp motor (body tag confirms it) so the motor was obviously swapped at some point. It has the 3 row cooler, but also a mag fan and 64 carbs (with the extra vent at the bottom). The bell housing was originally from a manual, but somebody cut (with a torch by the looks of it) the PG ventilation holes in it. Every time I work on this thing I find more surprises lol!

--- 63 Monza 2dr PG ---
St Louis, MO
m37aswell

Post by m37aswell »

Whoa- that is one wild looking bell housing :eek:
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I would not use that Meth head built bell housing! Get a good one! :rolling:
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

It's never going to cool properly. They didn't put the hole in the large space where the "2" is. :rolling: Dennis
Whozaa

Post by Whozaa »

Yeah, I thought you all would get a kick out of that ::-):
--- 63 Monza 2dr PG ---
St Louis, MO
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

With all the different pieces making up a Corvair engine it does invite "creative" repairs and rebuilds. I think the term used is "Frankenmotor".

Check to see if the magnesium fan is the one year only 1964 model "small bearing" unit, or the 65-69 large bearing fan. Those who want originality on a 64 would prefer the 64 fan.

I've bought a few "rebuilt" engines that folks could not get to run and I usually find a mess during disassembly. Fortunately I don't pay much for these "rebuilt" engines and usually get some nice parts out of the deal.

One was a "sand rail" engine that never ran. The heads were 140HP and "rebuilt", but when I CC'd them the compression ratio was 13 to 1!!!!! Gasket surface was cut INTO the spark plug hole threads! Junk. Fortunately I got enough good parts to break even on the deal.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”