Smokin' Deals!

(Corvair ads you find on other sites can also be discussed here, i.e. ebay, craigslist.)
Forum rules
All Classified posts will be automatically deleted approximately 90 days after posting.
zonker

Re: Smokin' Deals!

Post by zonker »

Damn, I missed that opportunity! Totally would have done that.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

flat6_musik wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:39 am 1966 140/4 speed 4-door! Should have a Saginaw trans!
I think you are meaning it would have a re-designed Saginaw in 66. All Corvairs used Saginaw's. I prefer a 65 4-speed Saginaw for smoother shifting myself since I'm not running one in a V-8.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
erco

Post by erco »

What's the deal with '65 vs '66 4-speeds? All Saginaws but a the '66 redesign made for a stronger but harder-shifting tranny? IIIRC HTHCE suggested (of building a Corv-8) to buy a cheaper '65 body and use the savings to buy a '66 tranny.

My high school BFF blew his '68 Camaro's stock Saginaw tranny and replaced it with a Muncie, bolted right on but supposedly much stronger.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

It seems you answered your own question.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

joelsplace wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:44 pm It seems you answered your own question.

Damn I'm good.

But of course I was seeking a bit more detail from the experts.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

A specific question would be helpful. I don't think '65s are any cheaper than '66s or at least not in my experience. Maybe slightly easier to find.
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The 1965 and earlier 4-speed transmission served quite well in more than a million Corvairs. The switch by GM in 1966 may have been more to simplify internal production and to lower costs, and was not necessarily to replace a poor or weak 4-speed design. When the Crown Corv-8 custom modification was introduced by Ted Trevor to allow fitting a V8 engine in the back seat area to a Late Model Corvair, I believe he chose the 1966 and later 4-speed design because it was somewhat stronger and it was better-suited to the needed modification to attach it to a center-vehicle mounted V8 engine. But whether you end up with a 1965 and earlier transaxle or a 1966 and later design, either transaxle should do quite well to connect your Corvair engine to the rear wheels. The biggest hazards to the transaxle is poor maintenance (still using the original 50+ year old gear lube that filled the transaxle when the car was manufactured) or switching to GL-5 gear lube, which can damage the "yellow metal" synchromesh components in the transmission. Fresh GL-4 hypoid gear lube in the transaxle will help your transmission and differential to spin happily ever after (hopefully).
Special gear oils are required for hypoid gears because the sliding action requires effective lubrication under extreme pressure between the teeth. ... They are considerably stronger in that any load is conveyed through multiple teeth simultaneously. By contrast, bevel gears are loaded through one tooth at a time. Hypoid gear oil is formulated with extreme-pressure (EP) additives to protect and operate effectively with hypoid gears.
EP additives which contain phosphorus/sulfur compounds are corrosive to yellow metals such as the copper and/or brass used in bushings and synchronizers.
Richard Widman wrote:A traditional GL-4 gear oil of any given viscosity has about ½ of the level of sulfur/phosphorous additive that would be in the GL-5 product, so the bond is not as strong, and therefore can be peeled off without peeling a layer of brass (or less brass). This means that the GL-4 product provides a little less extreme pressure protection, so in the differential of a high-powered car, it would not be the ideal product in the differential. To understand this need we should be aware of the fact that the differential is where the final torque is applied to the wheels (in most applications)...

---Some cars (including later Corvairs) came with military specs instead of API gear oil specs. So we should consider that MIL-L-2105B is an equivalent to GL-4, and MIL-L-2105C, 2105D, and 2105E are GL-5 gear oil lubricants.
Basically, Corvair transaxles share the lubricant in the transmission portion and the differential portion. So it is necessary to compromise and select a gear lube that will protect the hypoid gears in the differential and not harm the "yellow metal" synchronizer components in the manual transmission. A good quality GL-4 Hypoid gear lubricant (SAE 75W-90) in your Corvair manual transaxle is the way to go.
Attachments
Transaxle Oil - The Difference between GL-4 and GL-5 Gear Oils - by Richard Widman.pdf
Transaxle Oil - The Difference between GL-4 and GL-5 Gear Oils - by Richard Widman
(966.95 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

You should start a thread on the topic so more people will see it.
The huge weak spot in a Corvair transaxle is not the transmission. The 2 spider gears are tiny and very weak. I've destroyed them with a totally stock 110. You'll want a 4 spider gear carrier for sure.
https://ssl.corvair.com//user-cgi/searc ... art=C9499C
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

+1 to a seperate thread since this classified listing will be deleted.

While we're talking transaxles, is Positraction really needed on a Corvair for street use? A Corv-8 I can see, but a stock 110 isn't burning any rubber. Off-road or snow I can see the need. Probably a small percentage of cars have it, but here was one (just recently deleted, must have sold):

viewtopic.php?p=118446#p118446
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That's correct. Corvairs have so much traction vs HP they don't really need posi except under specific circumstances like ice and snow and even then they hook up really well without it.
Northlake, TX
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

1966 turbo corsa at $650 range!! Attention K-Mart shoppers! Complete with telescopic column & non-original 140! You know you guys drool over this barn-find stuff!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224510377541?h ... SwqSBg1dEC

erco

Post by erco »

Looks good from a distance! Hope someone gives her a good home and TLC. Related, $650 is exactly what I paid for my '67 Monza in 1980 as a poor college student.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Makes me wish I still lived ii Lebanon, Pennsylvania! My old home there is only 21 miles from the location of this Corsa. If it turns out to be a rusty hulk that has lived its life in road salt infested Pennsylvania, it may only be a parts donor. But it has a 4-speed Corsa powertrain with a later model year 140 hp smog pump engine and a Corsa instrument panel, so even if it turns out to be only a parts donor... any Corvair enthusiast who is mechanically inclined and within striking distance should check into this one! The 140hp engine alone may cover the cost of admission!

This was a project I bought 20 years ago, and after having it take up garage space for all that time I realize I'll never get around to doing anything with it. THIS CAR DOES NOT RUN. Engine does not turn over by hand; it might with a socket, or after soaking the cylinders in oil. Expect to have to rebuild carbs, flush out fuel system, replace all brake hydraulics, etc. All the things that go along with a car which has sat for 20+ years.

Original 180 hp turbo car, now 140. Manual transmission.

Surface rust (and some rust-through) on all body panels. Serious ding on right front corner. Underside & floors seem to be OK.

Needs to be trailered. It's sitting on some very ratty B78-13 bias ply tires, one of which doesn't want to hold air for long. Olds rims on rear on a few of the pictures don't go with car; they were put on just to move it out of garage.

Comes with assorted spare parts. A couple of heads (110), transmissions, bellhousings, engine halves, gaskets, box of carbs, carb kits, etc. All items stored in outbuilding garage for decades.

I'll be putting a set of sheet metal for a late Corvair on eBay as a separate listing a little later. If you're picking up the car you could pick up the sheet metal easily at the same time.

Any questions just ask. Needs to be gone within 14 days of auction end.
On Jun-27-21 at 16:04:23 PDT, seller added the following information:

Someone emailed asking about the data plate in the engine compartment. I can't attach any more pictures, but it reads as follows:
090 E
66-10737 1001 BODY
758- R-R PAINT
W2S405Y
1966 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa Coupe
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only
2S = RPO U73 Rear ant.
4O = RPO L87 Turbo engine
5Y = RPO A49 Deluxe Seatbelts ( Stainless Steel Push-button Buckles)
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
erco

Post by erco »

15 minutes left, bid sits at $810. Who will answer the call?
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Some of the bidders appear to be a little fishy......0 transactions attached to them, retractions etc...

Still a great deal at that price! It might even have a quick ratio steering box. Have ya'll priced a telescoping steering column lately?
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Not sure if that's just surface rust or worse, but it's in Bakersfield so I would bet it's not rust-belt nightmare rust.

Engine included?!

1963 Chevrolet Corvair Convertible Chevy Classic - $500 (Bakersfield, California)

[https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 91222.html]

Return to “Vehicles For Sale”