CHEVROLET D D

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
robg1951chevy

CHEVROLET D D

Post by robg1951chevy »

On the Corvair under hood VIN tag, what does “D D” represent, after the word CHEVROLET ?
Westds1

Re: CHEVROLET D D

Post by Westds1 »

D D is the body color, the first D is the body and the second is the top.
D D is Mist Blue. Also known as GM medium blue.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: :whoa: I believe the original question was related to the VIN tag "DD", not the body paint color codes for 1965 and later Corvair vehicles on the Body Tag.
ImageImage
The information found on the Corvair Kid website would seem to indicate that "DD" reserved a location for a dealer stamp of the "DATE DELIVERED"

1964 Image

1966 (Canada) Image

Number format unique to Canada; "G.M. Canada" stamped on tag, "D.D." stamped on tag.
"D.D." indicated where the dealer was supposed to stamp the date delivered to the customer. No examples exist of this actually being done though.

:link: https://www.corvairkid.com/oshawa.htm

1965 Image

:link: https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/show ... tid/80630/
Re: What DOES 'D.D.' stand for?
11-12-04 04:38 AM - Post#550411
In response to

DD stands for Delivery Date. It was planned that the dealers would stamp the DD on all new vehicles. Seems this first started on Corvettes but since the early VIN plates were tack welded on, stamping them dislodged the VIN plate and caused more problems. So the practice was abandoned and new style VIN plates in the 60's omitted the DD.

Never seen it on any trim tags and I have examples of GM tags going back to the 1950's.

Re: What DOES 'D.D.' stand for?
11-12-04 06:42 AM - Post#550412
In response to 62sedan

The "DD" does stand for Delivery Date. Beginning with the '64 model year, the blanks came into the factories with the "DD' already stamped on them. The dealers were encouraged to stamp the date of delivery on them, but few did.
I have a hunch that date was to represent when the car was "delivered" to the customer, rather than when it actually arrived at the dealership, but I need some more info from cars with paperwork to prove that.
Verne.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
robg1951chevy

Post by robg1951chevy »

Thanks for D D info.

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”