Anything Corvair related
SpiderMan

Re: 140 engine rebuild

Post by SpiderMan »

Great suggestion!
Alzubal

Post by Alzubal »

Tools are made to pull lifters. I have one some where I will look and see if I can find it I’ll send it to you. I will look around and see if I can find it.
Al
SpiderMan

Post by SpiderMan »

Wow, Thanks in advance Alzubal.
Let's see if I can encode my address slightly to prevent who knows what.

Jim Pitman
One Fifty One Stoneledge Lane
Waterbury Center VT zero five six seven seven
SpiderMan

Post by SpiderMan »

So the 140 engine I bought had been removed and exposed to the elements for a while. The flywheel/clutch assembly was quite rusty. Here's the result I got soaking in white vinegar for 12 hours then following up with wire brush.
I tried to add another photo of the other side showing the polished friction surface but had no luck.

Should this be coated with something?
I could:
cold blue it.
paint it with por40.
paint it with an engine enamel.
Hit it with a light coat of WD40 avoiding the friction surface.
Do nothing since once the engine is in place this compartment is totally sealed off.
Attachments
IMG_1689[1].JPG
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

The lifters might be varnitioned in place. I would try some spray carb cleaner to see if it would free up the varnition?
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
erco

Post by erco »

SpiderMan wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:57 pm The flywheel/clutch assembly was quite rusty.
Should this be coated with something?
No guarantees on reusing that pressure plate. They wear and get replaced in normal use. There are moving parts, and that diaphragm spring weakens. If everything was rusty, there is no way of telling how worn/damaged it is.

So it may be false economy to reuse that part, especially since you'll have to drop the engine/tranny if you have to replace it.

Those are getting to be quite expensive to replace, like $300 plus core $200 value at Clark's. At the very least yours is good for a core. But I'd check around before paying Clark's shipping prices both ways.
SpiderMan

Post by SpiderMan »

Perhaps the flywheel/clutch assembly in my 95 engine are in better shape (said the cheapskate). I'll have to research the compatibility.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

SpiderMan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:25 am Perhaps the flywheel/clutch assembly in my 95 engine are in better shape (said the cheapskate). I'll have to research the compatibility.
Be aware that ONLY Clark's has new diaphragm springs for the pressure plate. I called around years ago and EVERY rebuilder recommended to me said "No we don't have access to new diaphragm springs. We test them and if good we re-use them, but we do replace the other worn parts and re-finish the clutch plate contact surface".

Keep in mind the 140HP engines used a heavier pressure plate (more cast iron mass). The racers like the lighter (95 and 110 HP) pressure plates since they allow the engine to rev up faster, but for daily driving the heavier 140HP pressure plate allows for easier "launches" from a stop. GM would not have spent the money on a heavier pressure plate if they didn't need to.

I've driven cars with a light weight pressure plate/flywheel and they are great on the track were you want the engine to accelerate faster, but for me they are a PITA for daily driving as you have to rev the engine and slip the clutch to get the car moving from a stop. The inertia of a heavier pressure plate/flywheel unit helps launch the car without the engine bogging down. Just me, you may have a different viewpoint.

You will also want to have the flywheel and pressure plate balanced as a unit AND MARKED in case you take them apart for repairs.

Did you say the flywheel rivets were find and you are going to take a chance? Keep in mind it is established that ALL the flywheel rivets do fail!!! It is only a mater of time. Depends on use (or abuse). I've never heard of a properly rebuilt bolted flywheel becoming loose.
Vairone

Post by Vairone »

66vairguy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:49 am
Keep in mind the 140HP engines used a heavier pressure plate (more cast iron mass).
140HP and 180HP engines used a heavier pressure plate. The heavier pressure plate was made from a higher quality material than the other pressure plates. This cast material is more resistant to cracking due to excessive heat and has a compression strength similar to steel.
jimbrandberg

Post by jimbrandberg »

I hope I'm remembering it correctly but I believe the 140/180 pressure plate friction surface is nodular cast iron. There's "tab" surfaces around the outer edge to add weight. Some folks will machine off the outer "tabs" to reduce the weight and still have the better material. The spring pressure is a little more for more clamping pressure too.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com
erco

Post by erco »

At $300 for a rebuilt PP, I'd say there's a market for a DIY rebuild kit, even if a press or jig is required. at a minimum, it would be nice to source for those diaphragm springs.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

erco wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:37 am At $300 for a rebuilt PP, I'd say there's a market for a DIY rebuild kit, even if a press or jig is required. at a minimum, it would be nice to source for those diaphragm springs.
Today $290.00 really isn't a bad deal (if you return a core) and Clark's installs a new diaphragm and ring gear (often needed).

Clark's had the PP diaphragm springs made up years ago and when they are gone I suspect the price for a new "batch" will go up considerably as apparently NOBODY makes them.

davemotohead tried to find an alternative without luck. I checked with some suppliers and was told "We have to tool up to make them and that cost requires a minimum number to be ordered".
MonzaMan

Post by MonzaMan »

Not sure if anyone posted it, but I think Starr is no longer with us.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Someone posted recently that Clark's only has the heavy diaphragms left. I would reuse yours if the surface looks ok and the spring fingers are even and not worn out.
I'll bet you can match up those block halves with some close inspection. Try to match up machining marks.
The broken block could be welded but probably not worth it unless you have an RR block.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
erco

Post by erco »

MonzaMan wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:29 am Not sure if anyone posted it, but I think Starr is no longer with us.
Starr Cooke? You mean he passed away? I hope not, I met him once and bought some heads from him ~ 2 years ago. Very nice and knowledgeable guy. And he was an active hunter and guide, very strong from what I saw.

He still has plenty of listings on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=11 ... rcooke969s
kmart356

Post by kmart356 »

Starr Cooke passed late Oct 2023. R.I.P.

@SpiderMan Regarding the pressure plate. IF you decide to reuse it and IF you paint it, use a paint that won’t peel off and flake. I’ve seen the results - ugh
Ken
'62 Spyder. '63 Monza.

Return to “Corvair Talk”