Tom's 65 Coupe

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
tomk1960

Tom's 65 Coupe

Post by tomk1960 »

It's been a while since I checked in here. When I joined a few years ago, I had a maroon '65 coupe project car that needed bodywork, an engine rebuild, and more. It came with a 140 motor that was in pieces, nice Enkei 15" wheels, new tires, and a few other goodies. I began picking away at the basket case engine and eventually went at it full throttle. Heads were sent out for deep seats and a valve job and the cylinders were bored out .030 over with new pistons and rings. I powder coated all of the engine shroudwork in satin black, glass beaded the aluminum parts that are normally bare, and started accumulating the rest of the parts.

I came to the realization that while the car was restorable, the only cost-effective way to do it would be if I could do it myself. The cost to have a bodyshop fix and paint it would be more than the price of a nice turnkey car. So I started looking, and within a short time I found a nice '65 110/3 speed in Ohio. The seller was great to deal with and the price was right. Within a couple of weeks, the car was delivered to me. As soon as it came off the carrier, I put on new plates and took it for a ride. Then when I got back, I jacked it up and immediately installed the Enkei wheels. Here it is last fall on a particularly nice day for photo ops:

The Tahitian Turquoise color always gets compliments. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people say "I love the color!" It's an older repaint, but very nice. I didn't want a show car, but a nice daily driver, and that's what I got.

Since I've had the car, I've done a number of repairs and upgrades to get it in better driving shape. That includes a left lower ball joint, new shocks all around, new stabilizer bar bushings, new plugs, wire, distributor cap, non-leaking fuel pump, and more. I also installed one of Seth Emerson's wood steering wheels, which looks gorgeous. Turn signals and brakes lights were not working the greatest, so I replaced the rear sockets, then realized that the directional switch under the steering wheel was broken. So I replaced that and the faulty turn signal relay and now all the lights work as they should.

I sold the maroon car over the winter, but the 140 stayed with me. I continued to pick away at it and after installing new main and rod bearings, reassembly began. What an easy engine to work on! I had the cases closed up, pistons and heads back on in short order, then installed new lifters, the pushrod tubes rocker arms, etc. All seals, gaskets, and o-rings were replaced, thanks to Clark's complete engine seal kit. I had Wolf Enterprises rebuild the carbs and make them look new again. Then began what I consider to be final assembly - bolting the sheet metal components back on, followed by a rebuilt alternator, new solid state distributor, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, and Roger Parent's awesome 140 linkage kit.

I statically adjusted the valves and am confident that they're good to go, but I made a pair of one third valve covers and have them installed for the first startup. It will be easy enough to get them dialed in if necessary. At this point, All I have left to do it bolt on the mufflers and then it will be ready to fire up on the engine stand. Here's a picture of the engine as it looks today:

I also have a 4 speed, along with the correct support bracket, input shaft, etc. that will replace the 3 speed. I hope to install it within the next 1-2 months. Fingers crossed that the engine runs well and that the transplant goes smoothly!
"We are the people our parents warned us about."

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”