Adding flexible hose to reduce vibration on oil pressure line

All Models and Years
edherba

Adding flexible hose to reduce vibration on oil pressure line

Post by edherba »

I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge under the dash in my 63 Monza Coupe (102 HP engine) by running Ni-Cu 1/4" tubing from the oil pressure switch (on filter housing) to the gauge. It has been working great but I am worried with time, that the tubing will fatigue and crack due to engine vibration. I was thinking of cutting the line maybe a foot from the engine and installing a steel braided hose. My question is concerning the fittings at each end of the hose. Is there a braided hose that has compression type fittings that I could use to connect to the hardline? I see lots of hoses available with AN fittings but that won't fit into the filter housing which takes NPT. I am currently running a "T" from the housing and have the hardline connected to that and the oil pressure sensor. What does everyone else do?
erco

Re: Adding flexible hose to reduce vibration on oil pressure line

Post by erco »

My '67 came with a soft copper line when I bought it in 1980, teed off at the oil sender. Worked fine, never had any problems in the 20 years I drove it. It sat for 20 years and I'll use it again when I hook it up soon.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Why no consider switching to an electronic oil pressure gauge coupled with an electric oil pressure sending unit at the engine? Is there a good reason for feeding the engine oil pressure physically all the way to the instrument panel???
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”