Vin decoding

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
Charles

Vin decoding

Post by Charles »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have bought my first corvair. It is a 1967 sedan and was wondering what info the attached files could provide. Was hoping someone more knowledgeable on the subject could help. Thanks :ty:
Attachments
20220429_171605.jpg
20220605_141911.jpg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Vin decoding

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome, Charles, to the Corvair Forum! :goofywave:
Body & Vin Tags.jpg
Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

06A
Body Build Date: 06 = June, A = First Week
:beamup: (One of the last of the Corvair four-door sedans manufactured!)

The first two digits are numbers 01 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicating the week of the month. If the letter is an "A" it indicates the first week of the month.

:think: Approximately 225 more 1967 Corvair Monza 4-door Sedans were produced after your Monza sedan in June-July 1967 before sedan production ended. How many of the sedans still exist in running/drivable condition 55 years later??? :dontknow:

Bigwave wrote:Date: August 25, 2009 10:46PM

From My notes, there were 2959 model 500 sedans produced in 1967. So a model 500 sedan with body # 2899 would be one of the last ones produced. So the sedans were built all the way thru the 1967 production year. 07A is a very late production date, The last month of production would be July 1967 for all 1967 models including Sedans.

Corvair Center Title Bar.jpg
What month did the last 1967 sedan was produced?
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,240671

I own a 1966 Corvair Monza 4-door Sedan with 110hp engine and Powerglide transmission. It is a somewhat more-rare 'Vair because it is fitted with factory Air Conditioning.
Air Vair Group wrote:For 1966 several changes in the mechanics took place. and Lo and Behold the 140 sprouted A/C !!! The even bigger news to A/C fans is - they finally got the darn condenser off of the engine!!! It was moved to its final resting place in the front of the engine compartment, where it received all of the incoming air. Finally - you could actually change a belt without a mechanical degree. As an additional benefit, the C-64 option became available on the top of the line Corsa model in its final year.

But time was working against our wonder car - no amount of glowing reports in the motoring press would turn the tide. Just 103,743 Corvairs were built in what many believe to be Corvairs finest year, but again A/C percentage was up - this time to 4.61% - adding another 4,780 air 'Vairs. This brings up the subject of Rare Corvairs - The Air 'Vair fan has one of the rarest - only about 150 were Corsas!
I bought it two years ago from an owner in Southern California. It was always a Southern California car (no road salt!) and was originally purchased at Clippinger Chevrolet, 137 W San Bernardino Rd, Covina, CA. I am the 5th owner, and all previous owners lived in Southern California.

1966 Corvair Monza Sedan.jpg

Back to your '67 sedan...

Interior paint code: 7 = Gold
1967: 1= Blue 4= Black 5= Fawn 6= Bright Blue 7= Gold.

67-10539 WRN 2932 BODY
Style: 67 = 1967 10539: 1 = Chevrolet, 05 = Monza, 39 = 4-Door Sport Sedan, 5-Passenger,
Assembly Plant: WRN = Willow Run, Michigan, Production Sequence No: 2932

1967 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 4-Door Sport Sedan — 5-Passenger, Total Production: 3,157[/size]

TRim: 713- = GOLD (MONZA 10500 SERIES — Bucket Front Seats)
This 3 digit code represents the interior color and seat type.

Paint: G-G = GOLD "Granada Gold"

Lucite No. 4825L, Rinshed-Mason No. A1919, Ditzler No. DDL22818

Example — 1967 Corvair Monza Sedan

ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher body tags, be aware that body tags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the body tag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly.

W2M

GROUP 1
W = RPO A02 — Glass, Tinted Windshield

GROUP 2
M = RPO M35 — Powerglide Automatic Transmission

GROUP 3
NONE

GROUP 4
NONE

GROUP 5
NONE

This guide will show you how to decode the VIN tag...

105397W125313
VIN - LM Corvair Passenger Car VIN Tag Decoding.jpg
======================================================================================

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, MA is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier post and tell us more about yourself, as well as about your Corvair. Some detailed photographs of the car can be very helpful. If you can provide your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, your Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. If there is a CORSA club chapter near you, contacting local like-minded Corvair owners can add a great deal with their local support knowledge, assistance and advice. Knowing your location can sometimes suggest some possibilities.

I have attached a copy of the 1967 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs for your model year Corvair.
:chevy:
Attachments
1967 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1967 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Fishnbob

Post by Fishnbob »

Charles wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:04 pm Hello, I'm new to the forum and have bought my first corvair. It is a 1967 sedan and was wondering what info the attached files could provide. Was hoping someone more knowledgeable on the subject could help. Thanks :ty:
Where is that VIN located? I’ve got a 66 and can’t find mine anywhere
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

On the Late Model (1966) Corvair, the VIN tag is rivited to the engine compartment perimeter frame, next to the battery.

Brad Bodie
ReissRacing

Post by ReissRacing »

I have a 65 Corsa and I’m trying to figure out what it is, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
0301D00A-B52D-4A53-9386-2B363F603866.jpeg
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:tu: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!
BODY TAG.jpg
Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

02E
Body Build Date: 02 = February (1965) E = Fifth Week
The first two digits are numbers 01 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicating the week of the month. If the letter is a "E" it indicates the fifth week of the month.

Interior paint codes: (Interior paint codes do not appear on Los Angeles built cars)
H
1965: A= Aqua B= Blue C= Saddle D= Red E= Black F= Fawn
H= White/Aqua S= White/Black W= Slate

ST 65-10737 WRN 10963 BODY
Style: 65 = 1965 10737: 1 = Chevrolet, 07 = Corsa, 37 = 2-Door Coupe
4-Passenger, WRN = Willow Run, Michigan Production Plant, Production Sequence No: 10963

1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa 2-Door Coupe - 4 Passenger, Total Production: 20,291

TRim: 797- = WHITE/AQUA (MONZA 10500 and CORSA 10700 SERIES — Bucket Front Seats)
This 3 digit code represents the interior color and seat type.

Paint: K-K = MED. AQUA "Artesian Turquoise Poly."

Lucite No. 4628L, Rinshed-Mason No. A1718, Ditzler No. DDL 43364

ImageImage
Example — 1965 Corvair Monza Coupe with similar interior/exterior colors

ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher body tags, be aware that body tags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the body tag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly.

E 2LS 4P 5W

GROUP 1
E = RPO A01 — Tinted Glass (Soft Ray glass in all windows)

GROUP 2
L = RPO M20 — 4 Speed Transmission
S = RPO U73 — Rear antenna

GROUP 3
NONE

GROUP 4
P = RPO Z01 — Convenience group ( 2 sp wipers, washers, day/night inside mirror).

GROUP 5
W = RPO A49 — Deluxe Seatbelts (Chrome Buckles)

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Brad Bodie
ReissRacing

Post by ReissRacing »

Thanks Brodie!!!