My '60 700 Sedan

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
joelsplace

Re: My '60 700 Sedan

Post by joelsplace »

I've never seen a float like the one on the left with no tab. Maybe a 60 only thing. I'm not a caveman expert.
If you want to restore the thermostat function you'll need to find a 60 fan. You can probably get a free one at your local club.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Leotju

Post by Leotju »

I've been pretty busy for the past few months with work and school, but the car is coming along nicely. Replaced the pushrod tube o-rings (this was really difficult), cleaned up the valve covers and replaced the gaskets, cleaned up the oil pan, replaced the gasket, and added a reinforcement rail (sold by Clark's). I've also cleaned and de-flashed the heads and cylinders. I'm almost ready to put the shrouds, generator, carbs, air cleaner, etc. on. After that, I need to take a look at the brakes, because they weren't very effective when rolled the car out of the garage a few months back. I haven't seen any fluid leaks or broken lines, so I imagine the issue is in the brakes themselves.

I'd like to patch up a few spots in the floors/frunk at some point, but I don't own a welder(or have welding experience), so I'll need to outsource that work. All in all, I should have the car running by springtime.
joelsplace wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:12 pm I've never seen a float like the one on the left with no tab. Maybe a 60 only thing. I'm not a caveman expert.
If you want to restore the thermostat function you'll need to find a 60 fan. You can probably get a free one at your local club.
I plan on keeping the '64 magnesium fan. The '60 thermostat seems complex and not critical. Also, the floats are bit weird, but I'll see how well they work soon.
RexJohnson

Post by RexJohnson »

The '60 fan and ring are not that complex. Just simple adjustments then leave it alone. The thermostat does help the engine to warm up.
RJ Tools Salem, OR
69 conv pulling a 66 trailer
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

jimbrandberg wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:41 am I always thought 60s were weird and quirky, then one came my way. I found that I liked it because it was weird and quirky. Like Kevin Bacon in "Animal House" I said thank you sir, can I have another?
What's hard is when you're pretty new at ownership, but did a ton of research going into it knowing good and well what trouble you're getting yourself into, and older owners, more knowledgeable over all of course want to tell you your 1960 Corviar doesn't exist, despite you owning it and knowing it does. For example, I have a 1960 Monza Coupe (engine ID: T0602YD Head ID: 3777238) that has a 95HP Engine and it's was supposed to be a 4 Speed, the YD engine. I have found multiple articles that state the coupe was updated to this engine and was supposed to be four-speed in the Summer of 60. I have found documentation from CORSA saying it existed yet a lot of older Corvair owners want to argue with me that it doesn't exist or I have a FrankenVair, when the dates all match up with the Body Tag and Vin info. So yes they are quirky, but I think in some cases they are considered quirky just because late model owners are just unfamiliar with them and normally only focus on the years of the Corvairs they own and many don't own a 60. I'm glad you've managed to come to the "dark side", or into what some may consider prehistory lol. Misery does love company, but for some reason, this misery brings me joy.
Last edited by jmiahman on Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 Mystery Monza Corvair (named Rusty) Engine ID: T0602YD
Jeremiah from QueenCreek, AZ
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

According to Clark's chart the YD engine was a '61-'63 98 or 102hp.
They claim a '60 95 was YA or YB and a '64 95 was a YC.
Clark's has been known to be wrong.
Where did you find the info in your research?
Northlake, TX
jmiahman

Post by jmiahman »

Got it from the CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers. My Body Tag and VIN are a 1960, engine looks to be a 1960 as well. Note though there is a 61 YD as well.
download/file.php?id=24165
1960 Mystery Monza Corvair (named Rusty) Engine ID: T0602YD
Jeremiah from QueenCreek, AZ
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Good info. Thanks!
Northlake, TX

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”