1964 Monza convertible project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
alexl

1964 Monza convertible project

Post by alexl »

Hey Folks,

I am headed out tomorrow to pick up my new Monza convertible project (1964 4 speed). The car seems to be a decent starting point - though the floors are crusty (particularly under the back seat - is this normal for a convertible?). I did the wise thing and bought it 5 hours away with only the pictures :D. Hopefully I did well enough on the deal ($1400) to not feel too much remorse when i lay my own eyes on the bucket of bolts :). Let me know your thoughts! is this :woo: or :banghead: ?? :D
Attachments
corvair5.jpg
corvair6.jpg
corvair7.jpg
corvair8.jpg
corvair9.jpg
corvair10.jpg
corvair11.jpg
corvair12.jpg
corvair13.jpg
corvair14.jpg
corvair1.jpg
corvair2.jpg
corvair3.jpg
corvair4.jpg
terribleted

Re: 1964 Monza convertible project

Post by terribleted »

Looks like the floors are/were gone or bad. The driver's side at least has a replacement floor panel tack welded into place. This should be welded fully to be stronger. Floor rust is common in Verts. Through replacement panels from Clark's Corvair Parts and some fabrication floors are not a terrible fix. Wonder if the engine and powertrain are any good? Corvair engine rebuilds are costly. Looks like it might be a good car to bring back from the photos, but, it is hard to tell until you really get into it and closely examine body panels and subframes etc. for rust. Really can not tell about the lower rear of the front fenders and front lower corner of the doors since the car has been painted in the past. These are common rust out areas but hard to tell if they are holed if covered with bodywork.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
alexl

Post by alexl »

terribleted wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:55 pm Looks like the floors are/were gone or bad. The driver's side at least has a replacement floor panel tack welded into place. This should be welded fully to be stronger. Floor rust is common in Verts. Through replacement panels from Clark's Corvair Parts and some fabrication floors are not a terrible fix. Wonder if the engine and powertrain are any good? Corvair engine rebuilds are costly. Looks like it might be a good car to bring back from the photos, but, it is hard to tell until you really get into it and closely examine body panels and subframes etc. for rust. Really can not tell about the lower rear of the front fenders and front lower corner of the doors since the car has been painted in the past. These are common rust out areas but hard to tell if they are holed if covered with bodywork.
indeed! going to be a pandora's box. I am either getting a reasonable deal on a project car, or overpaying for a parts car, part of the excitement! I plan to use this car as a learning experience on body work, etc.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I do not think it is a parts car. Looks like it is likely better than that, but, it will be a lot of work to make it nice. That said cars that look A LOT better than that one may need most all the same things to really be nice.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Project65

Post by Project65 »

It looks better than my car did, and I’m deep into metal reconstruction. (You’ll see on my thread.) If you’re not experienced with welding, start in easy hidden spots. You’ll get better quickly. I recommend a good mig welder, not a flux core. I’m using C25 gas and 0.024 wire for sheet metal. Hopefully the subframes are solid and the engine is good. It looks like it has potential. Besides, it looks like it has a built-in front tow hitch! You can make it a really nice ride! Good luck!! I’ll be looking for more updates.
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
alexl

Post by alexl »

Project65 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:18 pm It looks better than my car did, and I’m deep into metal reconstruction. (You’ll see on my thread.) If you’re not experienced with welding, start in easy hidden spots. You’ll get better quickly. I recommend a good mig welder, not a flux core. I’m using C25 gas and 0.024 wire for sheet metal. Hopefully the subframes are solid and the engine is good. It looks like it has potential. Besides, it looks like it has a built-in front tow hitch! You can make it a really nice ride! Good luck!! I’ll be looking for more updates.
I do have the Eastwood mig 135. Was once proficient with welding, but it’s been a decade since I picked up the torch.
carking1996

Post by carking1996 »

Looks like a good start. Get the floors done first then get'er running. Won't take much.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Looks good to me. I think you did well. A few new parts, patience and a big can of elbow grease is all you need! Have fun!
alexl

Post by alexl »

carking1996 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:15 am Looks like a good start. Get the floors done first then get'er running. Won't take much.
Thanks! That’s my plan exactly. Get her running, de-flint stone the floor, some carpet, reassemble, new top. That should keep me busy through spring. Next fall I can decide if I want to tear into it for a full restoration.
Minferrera19

Post by Minferrera19 »

Any updates? My car floorpan looked alot worse than yours when I started and im DEEP into a ground up rebuild as you can see in my posts. I would definitely get clarks floorpans and clarks corvair doesnt exactly sell all the floorpans and it may be tricky to make. If you want I can make some floorpans out of 18 Guage and send them out to you for some $$$ not super expensive though. I have all the tools to make them and a metla bender and everything. Best of luck with your project hoepfully you can just reseal the engine and the frames are solid.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”