John’s 65 sedan

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Project65

Re: John’s 65 sedan

Post by Project65 »

I ordered the black. Can’t wait to get the graphics and install. Thank you guys! And thank you Scott for replying so quickly.

I checked online for the VHT clear. Looks like my local Autozone has it in stock. Yes! I can pick up a rattle can tomorrow. :partydance:
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

Several years ago while browsing other automotive forums (Not Corvair Related) I ran across a thread about protecting different raw metal finishes and Gibbs was mentioned and praised by multiple individuals.

I searched for and purchased a couple cans of their product then applied it to a set of newly polished aluminum wheels I originally had on my '65 Monza convertible but now have on my '64 Greenbrier.

It has been close to three years and other than washing the wheels once n a while, they still retain their finish remarkably well.

http://gibbsbrandlubricant.com/about/
Attachments
Gibbs.jpg
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

John - You mentioned the molded plastic covers on the center door support. They are often broken, especially on the drivers side. I found one issue is the chromed sheet metal screw that goes in the top. I do not install this screw because when someone brushes against the door post cover while getting in and out of the front seat it bends the cover and first it splits at the screw hole and then along the side. The aluminum door threshold trim holds the plastic cover in place, but allows it to move slightly when brushed against. Just something to think about.
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Thanks 66vairguy for the tip. Something I’ll definitely be mindful of when finishing out the Phoenix.

It’s been a couple of weeks since the last update. Yesterday I received word that the shop has completed the work on the car. It’s been just about 4 months. I was so happy and made the trip to the shop today.

When I saw the car, it was a hands on the cheeks and jaw dropping moment. I even had a tear in my eye. 🥲. I think it looks stunning! The shine and polish on the car is great! The fit of the doors is excellent! I can’t wait to bring it home and get to work on finishing it out. Also I can’t wait to see it in the sunlight! The metal flecks in the paint should really shine!

We’re going to have a cold snap here this week with temperatures dropping to the single digits, but Wednesday might be favorable. If the roads are dry, I’ll bring it home. 🤞

Here’s a few photos.
Attachments
IMG_3070.jpeg
IMG_3062.jpeg
IMG_3056.jpeg
IMG_3067.jpeg
IMG_3048.jpeg
John
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

:rockout:

Looking forward to the build!
And keep the photos coming!!
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

That does look great. The track lighting shows just how nice the body work and paint are. Compared to my factory car the panel and door fit are much better. It really is nicer than most of the stuff that rolled out of the factory then and shows all the effort you put into it. You are a craftsman.

Enjoy.
Project65

Post by Project65 »

:ty:

Thanks guys! This build has taken a lot of effort and I applaud the shop owner for all of his hard work. Today was the day to bring the Phoenix home! The coldest day of the year; however, the roads were dry and the sun was out.

It feels great having the car back home and can’t wait to get back to the rebuilding.

:woo:
Attachments
Loaded up and ready to haul.
Loaded up and ready to haul.
John
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Looks good in the sunshine.

Of course now you'll never park it next to another car for years! :wave:

I have to admit that when my 4 door had the old ratty paint (and dents) on it I parked it anywhere. Once a few Corvairs guys met on a Sunday and a fellow pulled in right next to my car, opened his door and BANG! He was obviously upset with himself for letting his door get away and it chipped his paint. He told me sorry, but I said forget it as I was just starting the body work. Now I makes sure I have plenty of room when I go to meets.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

The pictures continue to amaze me. I can't wait to see it completed. Honestly, I believe it will go from something that should have (take this the right way) been sent to the scrap yard, to what I believe will be THE best late model sedan. Why the BEST? Because all the others will still have their factory faults with gap and panel alignments. YOURS will be the product of your meticulous attention to detail. Probably should leave room for a Rolls Royce emblem on there somewhere. Dennis
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Thanks guys! Well, as far as not parking it next to any other car for years, the car is actually back in my garage and parked right beside my wife’s car, every day. And honestly, my biggest fear is simply my wife opening the passenger door of her car (when she’s the passenger) and hitting the car with her door! I’m m holding my breath every time and tell her to be careful.

The last week was brutal for me with work so I didn’t get any work done on the car except empty the trunk out. I’m getting ready for the next step and that is to install the windows in the doors. I’m laying out the plan of attack. Before the glass and mechanisms go in, I need to coat the inside of the doors to ensure they’re protected. Also the weather stripping and channels need to be installed, as does the door handles and locks before the glass goes in. I’ve ordered a few supplies to help me get the job done.

Lastly today I installed the vinyl sticker on my headlight bezels. They really look great! Thanks Scott! I’m going to clear coat the bezels and also have special clear coat on order.
John
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

The details are a bear, but he little stuff is what makes a difference. I know about brutal schedules. The last month has barely allowed me any "Corvair time". Almost out of that hole. Always look forward to your updates. Dennis
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

About parking next to wife's car. To avoid marital conflict --- I'd make up some door BUMPERS. I have not done it yet, but I've thought about getting some firm plastic foam (like packing materian) and attaching some magnetic material and wrapping it in a flannel. When I park I'll just attache it to the side of the car to prevent door wacks from the car next to me.

Just something to consider.
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

I have done similar to 66vairguy. Purchased a piece of pink insulation sheet from Home Depot, cut a strip about 6" wide and then made some hangers that slipped in where the window channel/fuzzy and mason line so that it hung at the correct height so the other car could not ding the vair.

I like the magnet idea as long as there is a nice soft material over magnet and no dirt.

Your car looks great. My 65 is painted a similar color.
Attachments
IMAG0492 (1).jpg
1962 700 Wagon
1963 Spyder convertable
1965 Monza
1967 UltraVan 211
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

My two car garage where I park my daily drivers is 20' wide which is adequate but....there are 18" deep shelves along both sides the full length of the garage which makes things tighter.

What I typically do is to pull one vehicle in and back the other one in. I park them as close to the outer walls as practical which allows for the most room between the vehicles allowing the driver's doors to swing open and not reach the other vehicle.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Those are some great tips. The one thing that I did for now is to put the car back on the set of skates. That way I can skate it far over to the opposite wall of the garage. That extra distance really helps! I’m also thinking the foam sheet is something that can also work.

Tom. I really like the look of your 65 coupe. That’s a beautiful looking paint job. Really Sharp!

Dennis, I’m starting on the details now. Today I began with simply installing the door handles, locks, and gaskets, as well as the door bumpers. It’s tough trying to remember where I have all of the parts, but it’s coming together. Even with the door handles, it makes a huge improvement to the look. The handles all took some rubbing with 0000 steel wool to shine them up.

I’m thinking the side mirrors are next and some coating inside the doors, and the weatherstripping channels. Big thanks to Terrible Ted for the tips on the body sealer! I have a tube and am ready to go for it. ::-):
Attachments
IMG_3108.jpeg
John
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Project65 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:08 pm I’m thinking the side mirrors are next and some coating inside the doors, and the weatherstripping channels. Big thanks to Terrible Ted for the tips on the body sealer! I have a tube and am ready to go for it. ::-):
I've used Rust-Oleum "Undercoating Pro Grade" #248656. It is you basic rubberized undercoating that sprays thing like paint, BUT, I use a nozzle of off Autozone brake cleaner with the red extension tube (I've taped three tubes together to reach in).

The factory sprayed in a heavy sound deadener in the center of the door. It works well if intact. I spray around the perimeter were the outer skin bends over the inner from on the inside. It makes a diffidence in how the door sounds when you close it. I first did this to "trap" loose factory inner seam sealer on the hood and engine lids. The old sealer would come loose (and is a pain to remove the loose pieces rattling around). It worked and one side effect is the tinny lid drumming when closing them almost disappeared!! I've shown other Corvair folks and they are surprised by the difference. YOU DO have to let the sealer get hard which takes a week, or less if it is outside in the hot summer. No smelly issues. BTW DO NOT clean out the area with water as it stays in the folded seam area for a LONG time. You don't want to trap water in the seams. If necessary use brake clean to get out the dirt, BUT brake clean tends to ruin paint!!!! You may have to rely on a good vacuum to clean out the dirt. Just something that's worked for me -- feel free to ignore.

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”