Fan Belt Issues

All Models and Years
ranger372

Fan Belt Issues

Post by ranger372 »

Hello All,
My Fan belt loosens in a very short amount of time and I am noticing a lot(i mean a lot) of belt dust, as if the belt is being chewed up.
I am tightening the belt to spec and giving a lot of strength to the 2 bolts. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve D.
terribleted

Re: Fan Belt Issues

Post by terribleted »

Incorrect belt, bad bearing anywhere in the system, incorrect parts mounting alternator on a generator engine, making belt too tight or too loose when adjusting can all cause this type issue. What car is it? What engine is it? Does it use an alternator or a generator? How is the generator or alternator mounted...are the correct parts in place? What belts are you using?
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
ranger372

Post by ranger372 »

Car is a '65 Corsa 180 Turbo. Belt on it, is a Clarks. Alternator. My thinking is bearings out of alignment?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

ranger372 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:40 am Car is a '65 Corsa 180 Turbo. Belt on it, is a Clarks. Alternator. My thinking is bearings out of alignment?
Bearings out of alignment is possible but not that likely. The fan bearing is the only one that can really be installed too high or too low, the others all pretty much align where they align. Is the alternator a stock unit or has it been changed and if so is the fan and pulley the correct Corvair part? and is the small spacer under the fan? With the belt off spin the engine fan. It should not spin and spin and spin. It should spin smoothly and stop in maybe 1/2 dozen revolutions of less when spun briskly. If it spins much more or make any rattling sound at all the bearing is bad and should be replaced. Likewise to idler pulley should not spin totally freely either. Also spin the alternator looking for any roughness or rattle. The alternator should spin more freely than the other bearings. Look for damaged pulleys as well. Are you positive that the correct oil filter adapter/ alternator mounting piece is on the engine and not the generator mounting piece? If you are not sure post a photo of the alternator and the mount under it from the rear showing the alternator and the casting it mounts to so we can ID. Belt tension should be tight enough so you can pull the alternator fan and slip it in the installed belt with one finger. It should not be easy to slip but the tension required to slip it should not hurt your finger either (almost but not quite). I always used Clark's C5790 wrapped belt and have no issues. Good luck.
Last edited by terribleted on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Corvair-EFI

Post by Corvair-EFI »

terribleted is right on the money!!!

I spent my early Corvair years trying to keep the belt tight as I didn't know the finger trick. When I stopped fooling with my belt... I stopped having thrown/broken belts. Some belt dust is normal as that thing is making a lot of turns and friction is part of it.

FYI... I drive my Corvair daily as a part of my job...approx 50-100 miles a day. I use a D&D belt, but the cheap ones from Oriellys seemed to work well if the bearing is set to the proper height.

Ted
Ted Brown
Brown Injection Systems, LLC
Anderson, SC
www.corvair-efi.com
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Rust in the pulley grooves will chew up a belt.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Good comments so far.

I have had an issue with the Clark's belts stretching when new, but after a couple adjustments they stop stretching. As others said the alternator fan test makes sure the belt is not too tight. The fan should turn with minor resistance one way, BUT will be more difficult to rotate in the other direction. If the fan moves easily in both directions the belt is too loose and slippage will heat up the pulleys and bearing!!

The Gates 3V560 has gotten good reviews. NOTE: The Gates catalog lists the WRONG fan belt for the Corvair - the 3V560 is correct.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

66vairguy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:58 pm Good comments so far.

I have had an issue with the Clark's belts stretching when new, but after a couple adjustments they stop stretching. As others said the alternator fan test makes sure the belt is not too tight. The fan should turn with minor resistance one way, BUT will be more difficult to rotate in the other direction. If the fan moves easily in both directions the belt is too loose and slippage will heat up the pulleys and bearing!!

The Gates 3V560 has gotten good reviews. NOTE: The Gates catalog lists the WRONG fan belt for the Corvair - the 3V560 is correct.
Yes good comment. Pulling the alternator fan rearward is the test

m37aswell

Post by m37aswell »

I have had the otto belt tensioner kit that Clarks sells on my 65 monza 110 engine for about 3000 miles so far, seems to work great.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

m37aswell wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:08 pm I have had the otto belt tensioner kit that Clarks sells on my 65 monza 110 engine for about 3000 miles so far, seems to work great.
Glad it's worked. Belt tensioners have gotten mixed reviews. I considered them many years ago, but many Vair owners told me the correct belt installed properly with the later belt guides is not an issue. Note the fan bearing height is critical!!!! I just used the stock setup for years and I'm still waiting to "toss a belt". So far, so good.
ranger372

Post by ranger372 »

Don't know if it is the cause of the belt dust issue issue, but my Harmonic Balancer is rusty. I would have thought that the belt would have worn the rust away. At this time I am going to replace the idler pully bearing. While the belt is off, I'll clean up the rust on the harmonic balancer. Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not I will have to replace the HB.
Thanks all for the helpful tips, keep them coming.
Steve D.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

ranger372 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:23 pm Don't know if it is the cause of the belt dust issue issue, but my Harmonic Balancer is rusty. I would have thought that the belt would have worn the rust away. At this time I am going to replace the idler pully bearing. While the belt is off, I'll clean up the rust on the harmonic balancer. Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not I will have to replace the HB.
Steve D.
The balancer is rusty but is still good? usually when they are very rusty the rubber joining the inner hub and outer ring is dried out and often missing some of where it sticks out of the balancer which indicates it is getting close to failure which can ruin the engine when it comes apart at speed and tears a hole in the oil filter making zero oil pressure in a flash. I would not wait to replace a balancer if is rusty and old. Check the fan bearing closely as well. an awful lot of these cars have bad fan bearings with people thinking the WOoOOO WooOoO wOooO sound at idle is just the way a Corvair sounds.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

Unfortunately a worn and aging harmonic balancer is very much a part of necessary maintenance when owning a 1964-1969 110/140/150/180hp 164CI engine. They are not inexpensive, and a used harmonic balancer is also not a good substitute as there is no way to know how much life is left in an aging harmonic balancer.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... ow_page=11

Part number C9871A: HARMONIC BALANCER-REPRO ORIGINAL STYLE *SUGGEST SEAL C483/C483V

Weight: 6 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Page(s): 11(43),329,OT-23(RM19)
Price: $ 268.55
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Agree with Ted. Most folks do not realize the harmonic damper is a perishable item! It does need to be replaced when it no longer works.

The HB is an important item that helps reduce stress on the crankshaft. While the engine is running the flexible band constantly moves and eventually heat and age ruin the flexible band and then it no longer protects the crankshaft. I always replace the HB on a rebuild if it is old. Cheap insurance to protect the crankshaft.

Damper Doctor sells rebuilt units. Clark's has rebuilt or new units.
Onryasever

Post by Onryasever »

ranger372 wrote:Don't know if it is the cause of the belt dust issue issue, but my Harmonic Balancer is rusty. I would have thought that the belt would have worn the rust away. At this time I am going to replace the idler pully bearing. While the belt is off, I'll clean up the rust on the harmonic balancer. Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not I will have to replace the HB.
Steve D.
Might be worth checking this place out if you end up doing your harmonic balancer.

http://www.hbrepair.com/harmonicbalancer_005.htm

I haven't used them but am considering it after I get a few other items taken care of. Clarks puller tool also looks like a good choice.

https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... d_page=337

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”