Door Hinge Pins.

All Models and Years
Corvaircar

Door Hinge Pins.

Post by Corvaircar »

Can door hinge pins be removed with the door in the car on an LM Corvair, would sure make the installation easier?

terribleted

Re: Door Hinge Pins.

Post by terribleted »

Not easily. The small ends are peened over for one. Access to remove and particularly install the upper would suck.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Corvaircar

Post by Corvaircar »

Thanks Ted, I supposed that would be the answer but I wanted to have a faint glimmer of hope.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Some people drill holes through the hinge into the body or body and door so the hinges can be put back in the exact same spot by using dowels or pins or drill bits just smaller than the hole size. 2 such holes per strap would locate the hinge the way it was before removal. I have always just suffered through mounting the hinges on the body and then mounting the doors and tinkering until it is just right..../shrug. I use a floor jack and a 30 or so inch long piece of 2x4 with a slot routed down the middle of the 3.5" side. Outer skin flange drops into the slot with jack under and about centered weight wise. This makes the door quite stable for starting all the bolts and is also useful to help hold sometimes during up and down adjustments.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”