Tires

All Models and Years
WinginEngineer

Re: Tires

Post by WinginEngineer »

doug6423 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 am I guess ur not a big fan of a sound system that rocks everything in ur house when the bass hits either... [emoji23]
Um no :rolling:

I mean, I've still got enough metal head in me to like it loud, but on a creaky old '62 Corvair I'm pretty sure the majority of the sound with a big bass system would be from my rattling body panels :rolling:

I've become a fan of the Boston Acoustics speakers. They're big enough to provide deep bass, but still crisp mid-range, and with the built in tweeters the treble is covered. One nice, neat, little package that gets plenty loud enough for some Metallica but won't break windows or make people hate me...
Boston Speakers.JPG
Boston Speakers.JPG (28.76 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Of course, it won't help the look on their faces when they see that nice smooth, black Corvair with white wall tires, red and white interior, stock 85 HP, and a boring, short haired, slightly graying, fat guy in a polo shirt blasting Pantera, but we all have out guilty pleasures in life...... :guitar:

Anyway, I digress. Back on topic. If anyone knows where I can get some nice steel wheels in 4x4.5 at either 14 or 15 inch that will take baby moons, by all means let me know. Otherwise, I guess it's the Maxxis with my stock 13's and inappropriate Monza hub caps :shhh: . Never thought finding tires would be one of my biggest sourcing challenes.
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Anyone with a sound system that the car next to them can hear is a idiot!!!!!!!! :neener:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

64powerglide wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 pm Anyone with a sound system that the car next to them can hear is a idiot!!!!!!!! :neener:
It's Phoenix and half the HP of the car is needed for the AC :rolling:

Just sayin', there will he days with the windows down...
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
mikes 63 spider

Post by mikes 63 spider »

I PICKED UP SOME NICE ALUMINIUM RIMS FROM A 1997 NISSAN 200SX, THEY FIT PERFECT, YOU WILL NEED WHEEL SPACERS FOR THE FRONT. THEY LOOK VERY NICE ON MY CORVAIR.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

64powerglide wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 pm Anyone with a sound system that the car next to them can hear is a idiot!!!!!!!! :neener:
I am an idiot then😊. I have had sound systems that would nearly blow the car out of the next lane. One system I had made 162db in competition another just under 150db. The fact of the matter is that both systems made super clean highly defined beautiful sound at all volume levels. They could reproduce symphony halls or rock concerts at will. Good speaker placement and boxes with quality speakers, and a low distortion quality head unit and amps if used are the key. Now running around breaking windows in the neighborhood is idiotic but having a system capable of this is not.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I am not hot on the look on front drive wheels on a Corvair either
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Ted. Wait until you get 75 & are half deaf. :tongue: To many bars in the 80's for me. Vertigo so bad sometimes you have to hang on to the spinning bed while your body spins the other direction & when you are driving & have one of those spells, :eek: scary. I had one where I hit the brakes & called 911 it was so bad.
Ménière’s disease is an inner-ear condition that can cause vertigo, a specific type of dizziness in which you feel as though you’re spinning. It also can cause ringing in your ear (tinnitus), hearing loss that comes and goes, and a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear. Usually, only one ear is affected. One cause is loud noises like working in a factory without ear protection for years. Another is loud music according to my ENT Dr..

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

64powerglide wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:59 am Ted. Wait until you get 75 & are half deaf. :tongue: To many bars in the 80's for me. Vertigo so bad sometimes you have to hang on to the spinning bed while your body spins the other direction & when you are driving & have one of those spells, :eek: scary. I had one where I hit the brakes & called 911 it was so bad.
Ménière’s disease is an inner-ear condition that can cause vertigo, a specific type of dizziness in which you feel as though you’re spinning. It also can cause ringing in your ear (tinnitus), hearing loss that comes and goes, and a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear. Usually, only one ear is affected. One cause is loud noises like working in a factory without ear protection for years. Another is loud music according to my ENT Dr..
I am 61 and have about 20% hearing loss and tinnitus since the early 90’s from working on jets in the USAF. I would never subject my ears to levels anywhere near 150db with any choice. These measurements were done by a mic placed in a closed vehicle while I operated the stereo via remote while wearing double ear protection😊. The fact is however that a high zoot system that can make these levels cleanly is super clean and effortless at normal to moderately loud listening levels. What I hate on a powerful sound system is a car not modified such that it does not rattle and buzz when the volume is cranked up. Nothing worse than a car going down the road sounding like the world’s largest Kazoo

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

:tu: Thank you for your service young man. :not worthy: In 1964 I went to Ft. Wayne in Detroit for the draft & 2 weeks later I got a letter saying I was unfit for military service but they didn't give the reason.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Has the topic ever been discussed using 175/80R13? I ask because that is what came on my EM 4 door and they seem fine. They do not seem to be a bad size by comparison.

Milestar has a white side wall MS775 available for decent prices from either Discount tire or even Walmart.
bbodie52 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:56 am Perhaps some 14" chrome steel rims with baby moons? Or perhaps 14" steel rims with 14" Chevrolet wire wheel covers from that period.
Does anyone know where to source some 14" steel rims that can take the 14" Chevy wheel covers? I have some covers, but finding the rims has exceeded my skills. I have a '62 EM 4 door.

I tried calling around to look for some mid 80s Corolla wheels and came up dry. I would even be willing to look at new at this point.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

175/80R-13 are only around 3% smaller than stock. The car will sit .35 inches closer to the ground. They will cause the speedo to read 60 when speed is only 58.3. Not a big deal. They are also .4 inches narrower than a 185/80R-13 which should mean they have a little less grip as well, but, rubber compound differences may make this more or less than expected. This size is fairly acceptable. I personally like to fill the wheel openings more rather than less, so for me a stock size or slightly larger size would be preferable. Just not many 13" choices any more:/ I would note that many 175/80r-13's on the market today are trailer tires not automotive tires. Not a good idea to run trailer tires.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”