Which spark plug wires?

All Models and Years
scmonza65

Which spark plug wires?

Post by scmonza65 »

Hey everyone, I'm about to order a new set of plug wires for my 140 and was curious if anyone has an opinion on which wires are best. I'm looking at either Clark's mag wares or the corvair specific ACDelco 7mm wires on amazon. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
terribleted

Re: Which spark plug wires?

Post by terribleted »

I would not order Corvair wires from Amazon. Clark's mag wires are good. Wires from Corvair specific vendors would likely all be ok.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Seth makes the best.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

AC Delco is AC Delco regardless if it comes from Clarke's, Autozone, or even Amazon. Retail distributors are just distributors. The brand is what matters. And AC Delco is mother GM's stock supplier, so it's hard to go wrong there.

7mm is usually a decent option. I don't think the Corvair engine or spark will ever get hot enough to justify 8mm. That's a good thing too cuz the 7mm I put on mine (AC Delco) required some tweeking of the spark plug wire guides on the shroud to fit without slicing the jackets.
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Performance Corvair
Ignition Wire Sets
:link: https://www.perfvair.com/ignition-wire-sets/
For more than 40 years, Silicone Wire Systems has been building and providing the best quality 8mm Ignition Wire sets for the Corvair. We have the correct boots, seals and colors for your car. As a part of Performance Corvairs, the company continues to provide only the best in Ignition parts. Click below to download an order form with more information. Right angle boot at the plug is an option. Wire sets are $40 + $8 shipping. Right Angle boots are a $5 option (per boot.)

Contact Us:
Performance Corvairs

Seth Emerson
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose, CA 95117

Email: Sethracer@aol.com
Phone: (408) 247-2237

Also check out the electronic Stinger Distributor on the same website.
ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT OPTIONS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=15101
Attachments
PERFORMANCE CORVAIR - Wireset Ordering Information 2019 (Seth Emerson).pdf
PERFORMANCE CORVAIR - Wireset Ordering Information 2019 (Seth Emerson)
(75.93 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
scmonza65

Post by scmonza65 »

Thank you for all the replies! I accidentally ripped a couple of boots apart while changing plugs yesterday. I guess the heat can do a number on them over the years.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The issue with some no name, parts house, amazon, etc. wires would be poor or improper boots at the plugs. Many I have seen have flaps instead of boots that snap in to the top shroud for instance.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I've used Seth Emersons plug wires and they are well made and durable. Seth also sells plug wires with the 90 degree boots needed on 140HP engines to clear the carb. linkage. https://www.perfvair.com/ignition-wire-sets/

Some of the aftermarket Corvair spark plug wires use a spark plug boot that is too small and won't stay seated in the engine tin hole.

I wouldn't waste my money on an AC Delco product. A shadow of it's former self the quality of it's parts for older cars is not what it once was.
scmonza65

Post by scmonza65 »

Thanks for mentioning Seth's! I hadn't even thought about his but will most likely go that route. The wires that are on it now have the cheesy flap over the shroud hole and look like they were just glued to the plug boot. None of them are 90 degree. Do you know which cylinders require a 90? Thanks!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I've ran NAPA 7MM wires for 5 years without any problems in my 110.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

A few years back, I bought these WIRES from Rafee....918 413-1548
I have never had the first miss or problem with them...also, they come in different colors.
Rafee is SUPER GREAT to deal with...and at times I had a good long Corvair conversation with him.
Fast shipping also.
66T engine painted.jpg
66T engine painted.jpg (90.83 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

1949chevy wrote:A few years back, I bought these WIRES from Rafee....918 413-1548
I have never had the first miss or problem with them...also, they come in different colors.
Rafee is SUPER GREAT to deal with...and at times I had a good long Corvair conversation with him.
Fast shipping also.
66T engine painted.jpg
Nice engine compartment!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

scmonza65 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am Thanks for mentioning Seth's! I hadn't even thought about his but will most likely go that route. The wires that are on it now have the cheesy flap over the shroud hole and look like they were just glued to the plug boot. None of them are 90 degree. Do you know which cylinders require a 90? Thanks!
To keep the look uniform I went with 90 degree boots on all the plug wires.
Bob's custom air cleaner 4 door June 26, 2016 002.jpg
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

Thanks Doug...its a fun car and painted the engine "FUN" to go with the car...I would certainly not paint my matching number 68 Corvette L79 engine fun but my Corvair is driven for fun and pure enjoyment. Corvette's value is based on originality and my Corvair would never compete in a judged show as it is not that nice.
DSCN0866 copy 2 turquoise graf.jpg
DSC_9703 new interior for forum copy.jpg
Jake

Post by Jake »

Love that interior color!
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

1949chevy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:55 am A few years back, I bought these WIRES from Rafee....918 413-1548
Fast shipping also.

66T engine painted.jpg
Rafeehas returned to France and is no longer selling any parts.

Seth Emerson's (Performance Corvairs) are the best you can get and fit great. He has a few colors. I put 90 boots on all my 110 engine cables. Keeps them neat. No failures in 20k of driving.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”