CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Need to know how? Want to show how?
Lane66Monza

Re: CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

Post by Lane66Monza »

Since I posted this heater fan wiring mod schematic before on a discussion, I decided to add it to this section for easier search results.

This for when the Clark's high flow heater fan is installed and you decide you want to protect your high speed switch selection from burn out from the increased amperage the Clark's high volume fan pulls. The Clark's fan requires a 15 amp fuse to be used, as the 10 amp will blow whenever high speed selection is used. Though 12-gauge wire is good for 20 amps, the switch contacts may not take prolonged use at the higher amp rating. It all depends how much the high speed selection was used on the switch in the previous years.

Corvair Heater Hi Flow Blower Relay Wiring Diagram.jpg
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
1966 More Door 110 PG FOR SALE
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Well, my friend with the 65 Corsa was having issues with the left turn signal not illuminating. After he and I did some phone troubleshooting, another friend stopped by and determined there is a short on the left turn signal wiring from column connector to the switch, which is preventing the light from operating. Now he is going to look for the short and see if it is repairable. But he was looking for a wiring diagram all the way to the switch to help him. By now you all should have figure out he is no an experienced electrician.

As we all know, Chevy did not include the turn signal switch info into the wiring diagrams. So, I took diagram AzDave's made showing the internal working of the switch and the definitions for each contact point in it. I added the column connector wire usage and the color for each use to the bottom. This should help out him and also any one here start the troubleshooting on a LM turn signal issue.

ps: the black wire not identified is the horn relay wire.
LM Turn Signal Switch Internal.jpg
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Sounds like a plan.
Note: A "Short" is two wired connected together or a wire connecting to ground. A Short usually blows a fuse and takes out everything on the circuit.
An "Open" is a broken wire or bad connection. An "Open" causes something to stop working but does not blow a fuse.
If your friend's turn light isn't working at one location, it's likely there's an open circuit in the switch contact as shown on your diagram and as you suspect, this is almost certain if both brake lights are working but one rear turn is not.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

So true Craig!!!!!!!!

I'm always correcting people, and they look at me like I have two heads, when the conversation is similar to:

A lamp blinks and "hey that lamp has a short" is spoken. "No, I reply, it has an open." "Hunh?" is the response. Oh well, they were not an electrical guru it seems....
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Now if the lamp blinks and a shower of sparks is visible, then yep , possibly a short. :tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

I wasn't there, so I reported what I was told. Supposedly it was two wires shorting together. Hopefully, he can do the simple Ohm checks on the switch and wiring from the column connector to find the issue. I did tell him that if he pulls the switch to tie a piece of wire or strong string to the connector to pull it back down when repairs are done. If connector can't be pulled up column, then remove wires from connector and tie them to the wire/string. He lives about 40 miles away and has his own business inspecting homes for Real Estate companies. So it may be a few days before he gets back to the car and me.

He was quite concerned about current prices of the turn signal switch. I used part number 910821 to search out for the switch. These are the other numbers I found associated with the GM number, D6202, TS14, TS202, 64-13000T. I advised him Classic Industries had best price yesterday not including shipping.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

AL, I know you know what a short is, and you were just reporting what was told to you.

And, this is a case where if two turn signal wires were shorted together the fuse would not blow, just too many lights would come on at once.
:wink: :tu:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Lane66Monza

Post by Lane66Monza »

Got more info from my Vair knowledgeable friend who was helping the Vair knowledge deficient friend. The turn signal switch connector was melted. Neither of us could understand why he didn't see that and fix it when he had the column and interior out. He has done a complete rework of the body with painting, and most mechanicals have been gone through. I am confident in the basic engine rebuild since I worked with him in my garage to get him through the process. All the work on the Corsa was done by him at his house with no guidance , but he did have a shop manual. My good friend relayed info on the rebuilt engine that was ready for oil priming and starting. Many gremlins were reported with electric fuel pump circuit the guy changed up after I had wired up the engine compartment. Oil priming failed. Fuel sprayed from all 140 fuel pipes on engine when pump did start up inadvertently. So it will be a while before this car is road worthy. We tried to guide him numerous times when he asked, but he did things his own way. We will still answer his questions and guide him to people and places to get parts, BUT it is his car and he will implement repairs as he sees necessary.
Al Lane
Southeast Georgia
1966 Coupe 110 4 spd
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Excellent! Nothing like hands on to learn. We all started that way. :tu: :chevy:

All you can do is offer advice, let him decide to use it or not. :eek:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”