My new whip

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
SfcColts

My new whip

Post by SfcColts »

My Dad helped me drag this 1964 Monza home today. Ok, actually I drove it home but he went with me. I though that was fitting that I drug him with me since he used to drag me out of bed to go bring a car home when I was younger. Now if I only had half his knowledge of cars. It's a 1964 Monza with 4 speed. It needs some TLC but should go nicely with my blue 1965. Car came to me from Davenport Iowa but was in Racine, Wisconsin before that since 2008. I also found some info indicating that it was in the Portland Oregon area before that.
20160916_112120.jpeg
20160916_205019.jpeg
20160916_205107.jpeg
corvair.jpg
corvair.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Any help getting some more information on the car would be greatly appreciated.
65 Arrival Blue Monza
64 Palomar Red Monza
toytron

Re: My new whip

Post by toytron »

Beautiful looking car. I saw it advertised. I live near the Quad cities.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Body  & VIN Tags.jpg.png
Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

03E
Body Build Date: 03 = March, E = Fifth Week
The first two digits are numbers 01 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicating the week of the month. If the letter is an "E" it indicates the fifth week of the month.

STYLE 64-0927 WR 62218 BODY
64 = 1964
Model 0927: 09 = Monza, 27 = 2-Door Coupe, WR = Willow Run, Michigan
Production Sequence No: 62218

1964 Chevrolet Corvair (900 Series) Monza 2-Door Club Coupe - 4 Passenger, Total Production: 88,440

TRIM 712 = BLACK
This 3 digit code represents the interior color and seat type (712 applies to 900 Series Monza and 600 Series Spyder only, which is fitted with Bucket Seats).

PAINT 948 = Dark Red "Palomar Red"
Lucite No. 4389LM, Rinshed-Mason No. A1536R, Ditzler No. DDL50684

COLOR SAMPLE: Image

Interior paint codes: 1964: A= Aqua B= Blue C= Saddle D= Red E= Black F= Fawn Q= White/Red

ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher body tags, be aware that body tags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the body tag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly.

W2LP3C

GROUP 1
W = RPO: A02 - Windshield Glass, Tinted

GROUP 2
L = RPO: M20 - 4 Speed Transmission
P = RPO: Z01, Z13 - Convenience Group (2 speed wipers, w/ washer, day/night mirror, glovebox light, backup lights)

GROUP 3
C = RPO: B70 - Padded dash

This guide will show you how to decode the VIN tag...

40927W231914
vinearly.gif
vinearly.gif (4.86 KiB) Viewed 480 times
I have attached a copy of the 1963 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs for your model year Corvair.
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1964 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 23 times
1964 Corvair (6).jpg
:chevy:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
SfcColts

Post by SfcColts »

-Thanks "toytron". I was looking at a different 64 in Newton, Iowa when I came across this one. The one in Newton, Iowa is rough but was put back together a while back by John Miller so I thought it was worth a look. I felt that one was more than I wanted to take on. Plus this one ended up being the same price!

-"bbodie". I spent 2 hours last night trying to decipher my VIN# and Body Tag but wasn't sure I had it figured out. I thought I had it right and you confirmed it.

-By all accounts it seems to be a solid car. I will try to run down the previous owners to get more information. I think someone started a restoration on it and did a lot of the work but maybe lost interest or funds to finish. Many trim pieces are laying on the floor boards, some pieces missing, and some are missing. The paint is decent but could cut and buffed again. We had an exhaust issue when driving home and had to tie the muffler and pipe up with a coat hanger to keep it from dragging.
-I will keep people updated with the progress.
65 Arrival Blue Monza
64 Palomar Red Monza
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Looks like a nice acquisition :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page

Return to “Introductions”