Little rich still

All Models and Years
recessbilly

Little rich still

Post by recessbilly »

I have done a ton of reading, tore apart and cleaned the carbs and rebuilt them multiple times with new gaskets/ needle/seat and now it is running really well on one side, but rich on the other. There isn't gas dripping from the venturi, so where does the excess gas come from? I inspected the plugs and they are black soot. Wire brushed them off and reinstalled, but still seem to have a misfire on the rich bank. The gas smell is heavy from the exhaust on that side as well. I am thinking the throttle shaft is worn and allowing more vacuum on that bank. Would this cause a rich condition? I don't get any response from the air mix screw on that carb either, unless I completely pull it out.

There's a stumble upon acceleration too. Both of the accelerator pumps blast a nice stream of gas when pressing the throttle. It was responding better to throttle when there was a dripping venturi?! :think:
Thanks in advance!
motor is a '64 110 HP with dual rochester carbs and dual mufflers, 4 speed manual
1963 Monza Spyder 900 powered by a 1964 110HP and 4-speed MTX
Jerry Whitt

Re: Little rich still

Post by Jerry Whitt »

A vacuum leak would cause a lean mixture. A rich mixture can be caused by several items.
a. Improper fuel level
b. Wrong size jet
c. Wrong gaskets
d. damaged idle mixture screw
e. heavy float (leaks, absorbs fuel)
f. leaking needle and seat
g. choke pull off not opening choke plate
h. temp sensor not releasing pressure on choke as engine warms
i. high fuel pressure
j. problem in power enrichment needle

1. Start with fuel pressure tests. 3-4 lbs would be about right
2. Check choke for proper opening as engine warms
3. Check jet size, They vary in size from 45 thru 57. smaller number, less fuel. Both carbs should be the same. ( 49, 50, 51 most common.)
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
recessbilly

Re: Little rich still

Post by recessbilly »

Thank you Jerry. I was in Hemet this week. Next time I'm there I need to come see those LMs.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”