Under coating???

Anything Corvair related
Corsa bill

Under coating???

Post by Corsa bill »

Hi I got my front in out, it looks really good underneath,just a little surface rust. Image
I don't know much about under coating, I want it to look nice. Could someone give me advice to a good, nice looking under coating??
And what about prep?? Do I need to sand blast, media blast or power blast it? Would power blasting even work??? I've heard it won't remove rust.Image
What about my wheel wells??? Can I just clean up the factory tar looking coating and undercoating???
Is a bed lining spray a good way to go???ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Corsa bill

Re: Under coating???

Post by Corsa bill »

Ok, I'm thinking about of using the Rustoleum undercoat, looked at an Eastwood product but, of coarse, can't be shipped to ca. In a qt. only spray cans. Go EPA.

Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Ok, now I found a 3m product from my auto paint store. I think that's the ticket. Now do I buy a spray gun or brush and roll it???

notched

Post by notched »

I don't like undercoating as it typically lets rust form between the metal and the undercoat. On my own cars I strip it off using a heat gun or propane torch and clean up with solvent. Then I epoxy primer and paint.
With a restoration you would strip the undercoating off, then media blast to bare metal, then coat the metal with primer and then top coat with paint. It is a lot of work but worth it in the end!
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

What do you with the undercarriage???
It's really clean under just surface rust. Paint or undercoating???Image
[emoji848][emoji848]

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Good grief - That fuel pump location is an accident waiting to happen. Most put the fuel pump BEHIND the lower bulkhead brace under the passenger side floor.
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

I'll get to it, not there yet.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Remove all old failing undercoating, remove all rust, re seam seal all seams, prime,and then either paint or re-undercoat. 3M product is good. I use Wurth underbody sealers and undercoats where I undercoat. Not sure if they are CA OK though. On my personal cars I usually black satin paint the undersides and then under coat the wheel houses and other spots the factory used such products.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

Like Ted and others said, you can strip the undercoat with a heat gun and putty knife...

I used the 3M 'rattle can' stuff you can get locally...

x2 on moving that fuel pump, it is gonna get snagged there!

Only other comment - you should move that jack-stand to the frame inboard of the rocker hem-flange! This is not the recommended lift point!
trash.JPG
Good luck with your project!
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
Corsa bill

Post by Corsa bill »

Ya, once I got under the car I see the lifting points, I'm slow but I'll catch on

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

3M undercoat is a good product as well. a little softer than the Wurth brand I use.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
ensys

Post by ensys »

One fellow's view:

- De-rust, clean, and apply multiple coats of paint to all metal surfaces.

- When paint is cured, apply (personal choice) multiple liberal coats of rubberized undercoating to the painted sheetmetal, which will provide a flexible, resilient, and easily repairable protection against water, salt, and road hazard. And it can be refreshed after a soap and water cleaning.
Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

The factory tar looking stuff, is that actually factory? My 61 has that stuff everywhere. Honestly I wish I knew what it was because it is strong as hell and thick. My rear floors rotted away and that stuff remained. The 3m stuff is good but it tends to stay kind of tacky for a long time.

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

Unless a frame off restoration is in my plans I rarely remove undercoating if the car shows no signs of decay. The reason it shows no signs of rust and decay is because of the undercoating. I drive my cars so feel no need to strip it down to bare metal. It's not a show car...it's a driver.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Great comments on undercoating. All valid depending on location.

In rust belt areas you will usually find rust below the undercoating and it all has to come off followed by some serious primer and paint. Then you can undercoat. If you do not undercoat the wheel wells the water and road material will strip the paint off the metal.

Out West you can do a minor clean up - touch up the metal with paint - and then undercoat. Rust under the undercoating in drier climates is rare.

The factory undercoated the wheel wells. The inner fender seams in the LM cars can crack. If cracked it's best to remove the undercoating in that area and inspect (there should be a seam sealer below the undercoating). Both my LM cars had good undercoating and I just cleaned it off and recovered with a durable undercoat/sealer called 3M Body Schutz - Comes in cans and you have to buy the spray gun (uses disposable tips so the gun does not have to be cleaned). See http://3mcollision.com/3m-no-cleanup-hi ... 08964.html

Also available in brush on.
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I would tend to agree, if your car is from the rust belt area you may have no idea what is under your undercoating. It may be a lot of work but necessary to make sure there is no underlying cancer. I had to with my 62 Buick, what a pain but I found holes and rot I had to fix. My 61 is from SoCal, and there is no rust on it so I am not going to remove the undercoating in the wheel wells. Anything I can put on under there now is not going to be as durable as the thick coating GM put under there in 1961.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897

Return to “Corvair Talk”