My seatbelt install

All Models and Years
steve57

My seatbelt install

Post by steve57 »

1458088766197-242001163.jpg
I recently put a new headliner in and decided not to use the old shoulder belts. I didn't want use the old location or move forward either. So I mounted them like this.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
terribleted

Re: My seatbelt install

Post by terribleted »

Not sure such a low attaching point is safe for that anchor on a 3 point belt.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
steve57

Post by steve57 »

My opinion is these cars were never really designed to have shoulderbelts. So any installation is a compromise. It took me a month to decide to do it this way as I did not want anything hanging from the roof.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
BobWitt
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by BobWitt »

I like it. I've been struggling with how to do 3-point belts without violating the openness of the pillar-less late coupe design...

I then saw the shoulder belt system and presenter on the new Buick Cascada! The retractor is in a similar position as this - with a cool motorized presenter. I could not locate a photo, but here is an Audi that is very similar...

Would love to see more build photos, how you reinforced the turning loop, and a seated position photo to see how it rides!

Nice job. Good luck with your project...
BobWitt - South East Michigan
Member: Corsa and DACC

1966 Corsa 140
Follow my build at: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=9082"
steve57

Post by steve57 »

1458170847799694288989.jpg
Thanks for the comments. Sorry I don't have any installation photos. I used the mountng bracket supplied by seatbelt supplier , http://www.wescoperformance.com . Its up to the installer to decide where they want to put it. I made a temporary bracket out of sheetmetal to lay over top edge and down into window channel . I attached turn buckle to it. That way I could move it back and forth to get it in a position that was right for me.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Cars that use a low mounting point (and there are a few) feed the belt thru a strong loop on the seat back to keep it in position high on the shoulder near the neck. With nothing to hold it in position there it is likely to slip down off the shoulder during a violent crash and not restrain the upper body like it should. That said if you are in a truly violent frontal crash in a Vair the biggest issue is likely to be the steering wheel coming up and smacking you in the face restrained at the shoulder or not.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
lostboy

My seatbelt install

Post by lostboy »

Like Ted said, I would maybe grab a guide off of an 80s Camaro or something. It hangs f the seat. I'd be worried about crushing your collarbone and shoulder in the event of a crash, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Cman

Post by Cman »

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I've installed lots of roll cages and harness systems.
Shoulder harnesses should ideally be mounted +/- 10 degrees above or below the shoulder, or routed through or over a secure point that is- like a cross brace or a solid seat back that is designed to withstand that type of load.

With a harness mounting point that low in relation to the shoulder, the tightening effect of the belt as your body moves forward in a frontal crash will have a tendency to crush your spine. Serious injury could result including shoulder injury, ruptured discs and crushed vertebrae.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

No I don't think you're raining on anyone's parade, you could be saving a life, or at least saving someone from some extensive medical recovery and bills.

-Steve
steve57

Post by steve57 »

I knew when I posted this picture i would get some negative comments. The angle that the seatbelt crosses my shoulder is the same as the other vehicles I own . So this is no issue for me. The angle of the seatbelt from shoulder to turnbuckle is within the range shown in FMVSS 210 anchor points. All seatbelts can and do cause injuries regardless of the mounting location. They way l mounted it works for me. If I get in an accident and survive l will post the results. Thanks for your comments and concerns.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
LandShark

Post by LandShark »

steve57 wrote:I knew when I posted this picture i would get some negative comments. The angle that the seatbelt crosses my shoulder is the same as the other vehicles I own . So this is no issue for me. The angle of the seatbelt from shoulder to turnbuckle is within the range shown in FMVSS 210 anchor points. All seatbelts can and do cause injuries regardless of the mounting location. They way l mounted it works for me. If I get in an accident and survive l will post the results. Thanks for your comments and concerns.
Hi Steve,
I have a 65 vert and when/if I do front shoulder belts, I'll have to do pretty much exactly as you've done. I too saw some documentation, not exactly sure where I found it, that specifies what you've done (and what I would) are as you've said, within the recommended angle range.
Chris
New York

1965 Monza Convertible -- 110/PG
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

steve57 wrote:I knew when I posted this picture i would get some negative comments. The angle that the seatbelt crosses my shoulder is the same as the other vehicles I own . So this is no issue for me. The angle of the seatbelt from shoulder to turnbuckle is within the range shown in FMVSS 210 anchor points. All seatbelts can and do cause injuries regardless of the mounting location. They way l mounted it works for me. If I get in an accident and survive l will post the results. Thanks for your comments and concerns.

I wasn't trying to be negative at all. Style wise it's absolutely perfect. I'm no safety engineer either, I was simply pointing out my concerns which could be non-issues completely. Either way, it's got to be better than meeting the dash with your face or being ejected through the windshield.

-Steve
steve57

Post by steve57 »

Lostboy , my use of the word negative was just saying they possibly disliked what l did. Your comment was about someone elses post. Everyone has their own opinions on this type of seatbelt install and I respect that. . My last post was just giving my reasons why I installed my seatbelts this way. Thanks for your comments.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
LBC TITAN

Post by LBC TITAN »

Great piece of information Cman. If ever I'm in an accident while in the Corvair I want to have the proper safety harness. I'm going with the Sebring seats.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Charles
Long Beach, CA
1966 Monza
Turbo 180
Hurst 4spd
OzJavelin

Post by OzJavelin »

Cman wrote:With a harness mounting point that low in relation to the shoulder, the tightening effect of the belt as your body moves forward in a frontal crash will have a tendency to crush your spine. Serious injury could result including shoulder injury, ruptured discs and crushed vertebrae.
This.

Very amicable trying to improve the lap-belt on an original Corvair, but unfortunately this is likely to cause injury even in a low-speed accident .. probably spinal compression.

Here in Australia (and most likely in USA) this type of belt would be illegal. On a pillarless hardtop you would need to mount to the roof with a suitably re-inforced mounting point.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”