Fast EFI Corvair?

Anything Corvair related
turnert7696

Fast EFI Corvair?

Post by turnert7696 »

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone has put a Fast EFI, or similar, system onto a Corvair using the 4 barrel intake. I've often thought about this method, but due to the price can't go through with it at the moment. I feel like it could be nice for a daily driven car.
Attachments
1109clt-01-o-+converting-to-fast-east-efi+carburetor.jpg
miniman82

Re: Fast EFI Corvair?

Post by miniman82 »

It would be the expensive way, that's for sure.
Click it!
notched

Post by notched »

That setup is still technically throttle body injection as the intake manifold runners still have atomized fuel running through them. You could buy the set up that Ted Brown makes and sells and have a turn key setup for less money.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
DAVECS1

Post by DAVECS1 »

I have not done a 4bbl throttle body per say, but I have installed Holley EFI to run my fabricated setup. I think with a full blown 4bbl setup you going to be putting some work into it to get the very least out of it you can.
1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

Definitely too expensive, just thought I'd ask if anyone tried it. I saw someone use a v6 mustang throttle body on a 110 engine before. That was pretty neat.
sethemerson

Post by sethemerson »

This has been done. The prices keep coming down. I am assembling the stuff to do a center 4-barrel, 6-runner, with a self learning Throttle body. Yeah, port would be better. I still have concerns over the coolant temp sensor placement and signals corrections. The rest looks easy, as soon as I start putting together another motor. That is the difficult part.
DAVECS1

Post by DAVECS1 »

I am not so much caught up on port as I am the amount and size of injectors with most of the recent 4bbl TB setups. All of them were made to support the air and fuel needs for a mild to wild performance V8. The older Holley TBs, with the injector pods over the tb inlet only fired the Primary injectors during idle and low load situations. If the new TBs have this functionality I am not as concerned they will be difficult to work. If they are batch firring all 4 injectors then I believe it is going to be hard for low load and idle fuel to stay in a decent suspension, and it could play havoc with low speed fuel mixture. To add to that, the bigger CFM the throttle body the less time higher velocity flow will be available. As the blades open the cross sectional area of air intake gets bigger much faster. This will slow down the air and its ability to hold fuel optimally.

These are some of my drawn out concerns. I know I could make it work.

This is my corvette and it runs really well, I really dig the TB EFI in this application.Image
1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 Speed
hrm2k

Post by hrm2k »

I tried doing fuel injection with the old analog Holley system. The unit was basically set up for something in the 350 CI range...........164 was just not enough and ended up being the end of that motor. It was very strong and all the systems seemed to work well......................for a few hours. It ended up washing out the bearing. If I had stayed with a 390 CFM 4 barrel on that setup, it would have been a real head turner. The HEI was setup by Davis Unified Ignition.

This was in about 1995 or so !!

CorvairKid
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by CorvairKid »

We currently have two corvairs running throttle body setups. One is using four barrel intake and my car is running tri port with blow through turbo system. We are using accel gen 7 DFI ecm with wide band o2 sensors. For coolant temp we are have using that for oil temp. Price is comparable to Ted Browns. We have a lot of tuning capabilities which is more than what someone would need for basic Corvair like we are able to run 3 stages of nos or for my turbo setup I can run boost builder setup when I engage line lock. So it's a lot more than we would ever need but how precise you can get car to run is what's nice. It has built in barametric sensor so when I took Corvair to Denver and ran up in mountains never had to change anything from up there to where I run in the plains. My car is running 750 cfm throttle body with 84 lbs injectors. Distributor is still being used as trigger system that sends signal to electronic ignition box. Using same crane can trigger that Clarks Corvair sells with the electronic ignition. So no need to mount crank sensor off balancer or anything.
If anyone has any questions or want more pictures just ask
Alex
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Alex Becker
Yankton, South Dakota

61 Greenbrier
61 Loadside
61 Rampside
62 Greenbrier
65 140 monza
65 140 DFI turbo charged monza
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

Wow CorvairKid, your setup is wild. What kind of power does that put out?

Once I graduate, I would love to dump some money into my car to make it better all around. Suspension, power, reliability, etc. For now I have to "deal" with basically stock.
CorvairKid
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by CorvairKid »

Built first Fuel injected N/A motor in high school before driving car to college then building turbo setup. Motor is probably around 275-280 and few years ago was running quarter doing 96mph. My motor can run e85 but it's pretty hard to find around my area so don't run it too much and gas prices are pretty low don't need to. It's does take longer to setup and tune but it's fun to watch people freak out when they see fuel injection on the car and how I can tune it from laptop.
Alex Becker
Yankton, South Dakota

61 Greenbrier
61 Loadside
61 Rampside
62 Greenbrier
65 140 monza
65 140 DFI turbo charged monza
turnert7696

Post by turnert7696 »

That sounds awesome.
ClydeCorsa

Post by ClydeCorsa »

CorvairKid,

I'm looking at putting an EFI TB setup on my new 3 liter build. I'm interested as to how you set up the temp sensor to account for the different ranges on the air cooled etc. I really want to use one of the Holley sniper 2bbl units, as I think the lower cfm will be better suited to an NA application.

Would be cool to hear how you set up the self learning system on your vehicle.

Cheers
63Turbo

Post by 63Turbo »

Here's mine... port injected early turbo. The engine temp sensor is at the end of the #1 head and is more or less measuring the port temperature, which is giving the best indication of fuel evaporation. I've found that it is best to use the "stock" engine temp sensor values that come with the SDS efi, (the system I use). Since this system was developed around usage in air cooled experimental aircraft, I shouldn't have been too surprised that the stock values that come with the unit work the best. The throttle body is a gutted Weber 45dcoe, and because of the extensive modifications to it, flows approximately 750 cfm. I try to keep the peak boost at 20psi or below!!
[img][/
DSCN1758.JPG
img]
toytron

Post by toytron »

I see you got one of them there fancy fans!

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
63Turbo

Post by 63Turbo »

Yes... This is the very first prototype, only 1 of 2. Soon there will be a small bunch being shipped to customer's, and I wont be the only one that knows what its like to have a fan like this...I'm sure it will turn out to be as important a modification as EFI is. The combination of the EFI and the super efficient fan has to be experienced to be believed!!

Return to “Corvair Talk”