Best Suspension Setup?

All Models and Years
Francesco

Best Suspension Setup?

Post by Francesco »

Hey everyone,
I'm getting ready to tear down my Corsa for the final restoration, and I was wondering what can be done to the suspension, in order to get handling as good as possible? I don't want to do cutting, or welding, because I would like everything to have the possibility of being brought back to stock. As of now, I have HD springs, and stock shocks, and a quick steering box. I would like quick steering arms, as well. (Still looking). I plan on using Corvair Underground 90 durometer bushings, to stiffen everything up, and getting konis. Also, converting to S10 Spindles and disc brakes. What else can be done, within reason, to make this car handle as well as possible? I've read a bunch, but most things involved cutting, and such.
Thanks
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
pernrory

Re: Best Suspension Setup?

Post by pernrory »

I want you to try to find a lot more than this.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Oh-oh ---- That's like asking what speakers sound the best, what food tastes the best, etc.

It really comes down to your preferences. Some folks like a good ride and handling for street use (something the stock Corvair excels at) . Some like the "wheels welded to the body" tied down suspension for smooth track use that gives a go-kart feel to the car, but is miserable on the street.

Beware what you ask for!
ccs42

Post by ccs42 »

Francesco,

I attempted to strike a balance between comfort and handling while rebuilding the suspension of my '66 Monza coupe, so I understand your priorities have a different focus. I installed adjustable Gabriel shocks through Clark's (P/N C2840/C2841) and was amazed at the results. Obviously any new component would out-perform the 30+year old shocks that were on the car when I first bought it, but now the Corvair rides better than my '07 GMC Sierra. The shocks have three settings: soft, firm, and extra-firm. I have mine set to "firm." I think "extra firm" would take out a little more body roll for the sake of the performance you are looking for. A contributing factor would be the new wheels and tires that I installed. I increased the size to a 15x7 wheel with 195/55/R15 tires. This wheel/tire set up does not require any modifications for clearance, even with the heavy duty springs that I installed on my coupe as well. With a 4.25" back spacing on the wheel, the steering geometry is not stock, but still plenty driveable. The outer diameter of the tire is nearly the same as original, so it shouldn't affect the speedometer's indicated speed dramatically. These modifications are all reversible and can be done on a budget. The set up (through Summit Racing and Discount Tire) cost me $159 for each wheel and $85 each for Yokohama YK580 tires. Worth it!

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-1 ... /overview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Price went down too!
Chris
Geiselberg, Germany
'66 Monza 3-Speed/140

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”