Hello from SC

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
gthompson

Hello from SC

Post by gthompson »

:wave:
I found this site while looking for information to hopefully make a good decision on purchasing my first Corvair. I have read a lot of good info here on the forum in the last week or so. I have my eye on 1966 500 2 door coupe. It has a 3 speed manual trans with what I believe is a 95 hp engine. It seems to be a fairly solid car with surface rust below the windshield but none anywhere else. I should be able to handle all of the mechanical work but I will leave the paint to some one else. My plan is to have a driver that I can "enjoy" as often as I can. Probably will not drive it daily but several times a week and naturally to the local cruise in on the weekends. I have located the local Corsa chapter and hope to be able to join in the very near future. So thanks in advance for help with questions that I am sure will follow.
Gene Thompson
Anderson, SC
NMVair

Re: Hello from SC

Post by NMVair »

Good to have you here. Hope you got a good deal. Wondering how you think it is a 95? Please post pictures when you get it and keep us posted on how its going...
Dave
er-mine

Post by er-mine »

hey hey...new folks showin up today

hope we has some fun and learn how to make corvairs run!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum! I joined the Corvair Forum back in August 2012 when my wife and I purchased a 1966 Corsa convertible for our 40th anniversary. I had been around Corvairs since my parents bought a brand new 1961 Monza coupe in San Jose, California (I was eight years old). I learned to drive in the 1965 Corsa convertible they upgraded to a few years later, and Corvairs have been a part of my life ever since. The '66 Corsa we bought in 2012 was our tenth family Corvair.

You mentioned that you have already explored the Corvair Forum and read a lot of material. I wrote a Corvair introduction some time back that targets new prospective Corvair owners. You may have already seen it, but if not I would encourage you to click on the following link and read through the material. It might be helpful and informative and hopefully will help you in making a purchase decision.

:link: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10452&p=71184&hili ... ion#p71184

We live about four miles north of Hiawassee, Georgia on Lake Chatuge, on the Georgia/North Carolina border. That puts us about 90 miles northwest of your location in Anderson, SC. There is a Corvair electronic fuel injection developer named Ted Brown in your town. http://corvair-efi.com/ In fact, I am hoping to purchase one of his systems for my Corsa in the near future. Ted Brown also used to be the president of the nearest CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter to your location. I would encourage you to contact this club chapter. CORSA club chapters are family-friendly and often offer technical guidance and training, socializing with other Corvair aficionados, picnics, car shows, competition events, scenic Corvair-based group drives, etc.

CORSA Chapter Locator - CORSA South Carolina

Chapter ID: 296
Organization Name: CORSA South Carolina
Street Address (Primary): 3 South Del Norte Road, Greenville, SC
Corsa SC Board 2015

President: Jeff Murrell
Vice President: Susan Williams
Secretary: Patti Ellison
Treasurer: James Cheek

Board Members at Large:
Glenn Kelly
Cole Adcock
Jewel Deyoung

Newsletter Editor: Cole Adcock

Webmaster: Donnie & Jane Bird

Newsletter Name: News & Affairs of Corvairs
Email (Primary): info@corsasc.com
Corsa SC is a “Corvair Club” serving the Upstate area of South Carolina. If you are interested in more information, please contact our membership chairman, Bruce Schug at info@corsasc.com

JOIN US - You are welcome to join us at our monthly meeting, held the second Tuesday evening of each month at 6:30 pm. We currently meet at the home-cookin’ restaurant “Southern Fried Green Tomatoes” at 1175 Woods Crossing Road in Greenville, SC.
There are two other CORSA chapters in South Carolina...

Image.

CORSA Chapter Locator - Central Carolina CORSA
Chapter ID: 291
Organization Name: Central Carolina CORSA
Street Address (Primary): PO Box 581, Manning, SC 29102
President: Gerald V. Brown, Sr., air_cooled63@yahoo.com
Vice President: Louis Mays, louism@ftc-i.net
Secretary: Rebecca Pointe, noelle_pointe@hotmail.com
Treasurer: Mary Brown, bluedog19488@yahoo.com
Newsletter Editor: Gerald V. Brown, Sr.
Newsletter Name: Blast From The Past
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cccorsa?fref=ts
Email (Primary): centralcarolinacorsa@hotmail.com

CORSA Chapter Locator - Lowcountry Corvair Association]
Chapter ID: 294
Organization Name: Lowcountry Corvair Association
Street Address (Primary): 111 Hamlet Lane, Ladson, SC 29456-5457
President: Jerry Brown
Vice President: Jerry Murray
Secretary: Don Marlowe
Treasurer: Paul Broyles, (843) 747-4898
Newsletter Editor: Fran Pittman
Newsletter Name: The AirCooled News
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/607430302653808/
Email (Primary): lowcountrycorvair@gmail.com

If you decide to go ahead and buy in to Corvair ownership, the websites at this link may be useful...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, the Corvair you are considering buying, and your goals for your Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you and your Corvair will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Pictures are great too, because pictures of your Corvair will help us to visualize where you are with your Corvair and its condition at the present time. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities to resolve some issues or problems.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
funvairs

Post by funvairs »

Welcome to the forum Gene
Chris Brown

Corvanatics: Director at Large
Ultra Van Motor Coach Club Vice President
CORSA
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
gthompson

Post by gthompson »

NMVair wrote: Wondering how you think it is a 95?
Dave
Thanks Everyone, glad to be here.

Dave, just a guess on my part for now. This car doesn't have any other upgrades on it so I am just thinking that it doesn't have the upgraded engine.
bbodie52 wrote:We live about four miles north of Hiawassee, Georgia on Lake Chatuge, on the Georgia/North Carolina border.
Brad, that must put you off of hwy 129? Hiawassee is a very nice area. That is my route when I need to go to Tennessee. Keeps me having to battle the Atlanta traffic.
Gene Thompson
Anderson, SC
66TurboVaca

Post by 66TurboVaca »

Welcome Gene! I hope you get a good car!

Return to “Introductions”