Can I run my Corvair without the heater hoses?

All Models and Years
electrictribesman

Can I run my Corvair without the heater hoses?

Post by electrictribesman »

While replacing the brake lines on the rear of my son's '63 coupe, the heater hoses were in the way. When I tried to move them, they were rotten and tore. Knowing that we were not going to use the stock heater anyway, I decided to just scrap them, but when we ran the car for the first time without the hoses, we noticed a sizzling sound coming from under the right carburetor and some smoke coming from the left side of the car. When I tried to figure it out, the only thing I could figure was that the heater holes front he engine were right under the carbs. We made it home the next day without the smoke or sizzling, but I feared that the holes were releasing heat under the carbs. Maybe it was just burning off some residual grime and debris (leaves, dust) the first time? Anyway, I ordered the rubberized hoses from Clark's and have been all night trying to fit the left side on the upper pipe. Tried using soap, can't get a good angle on the clamp, keeps falling off, arms are bloody, etc. My question is, can I run the car without these hoses or is it dangerous? Also, can I just cap the pipe next to the engine, permanently, or at least until I can get to a service garage with a lift to get a better angle on the hoses? Also, does anyone have any tricks to installing these demonic hoses? Thanks! :angry:
Francesco

Re: Can I run my Corvair without the heater hoses?

Post by Francesco »

I do it all the time! I haven't had a single problem yet, I wouldn't worry.
1966 Aztec Bronze Turbo Convertible Project (Currently not on the road)
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

You do need to cap the holes in the motor shrouding as they allow air to escape without being forced over the cooling fins. This can definitely cause overheating.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

both of my hoses were like yours, ripped and torn for years and my car has never over heated. I had them replaced by my old mechanic. he must be almost 80. he likes to complain about my car but he didn't say anything about it being difficult to replace the heater hoses....
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Tape the clamp to the hose then use a 1/4 in. ratchet & 5/16 socket & tignten it up. You have to have the tire off for easier access.
Attachments
100_0002.JPG
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
plbooth

Post by plbooth »

you most surely can IF you block off the openings so air does not escape and the engine will NOT cool well if the airflow is greatly disturbed or pressure allowed to decrease. keep'em sealed.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”