My newest project

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Duane in Bakersfield

My newest project

Post by Duane in Bakersfield »

Long story short, but I love to sing 4 part harmony, i.e. Barbershop and Southern Gospel. About 20 years ago, a gentleman I sang with mentioned he had a Corvair. I told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it to give me a call. Well, that call came a week or so ago. $2,500 later, and I'm the proud owner of a '64 coupe with A/C. I'm not sure it's original to the car, but it is the stock Corvair stuff in the engine compartment. The under dash vent assembly is not stock, however. The car was last registered in 2008 and has been sitting in this garage since.
Anyway, the body is in decent shape, the original paint is faded, but there, the interior is even in decent shape aside from the upper panel on the rear seat having been replaced.
More pics to come when I get it home.
Attachments
IMG_5424.jpg
IMG_5423.jpg
IMG_5422.jpg
IMG_5421.jpg
64powerglide

Re: My newest project

Post by 64powerglide »

From what I can see under the dust it looks like you snagged a pretty good deal. Good luck getting it back on the road, you're going to love it. Looking forward to more photo's. :tu: :tu: SPEBSQSA ::-): Not a singer myself but I worked for a guy who went all the country singing, not on a regular basis but he did take lots of vacations.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Congrats! Couldn't see though the windows to see if the A/C appeared OEM but either way it's nice to have on a hot day.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Congrats on the new purchase :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Duane in Bakersfield

Waited DMV out today and exchanged the newer blue/white plates for the original yellow on black plates that came on that year car, complete with a new old stock 1964 sticker! The car is now in my name. :tongue:
KILLERCORVAIR

Post by KILLERCORVAIR »

Duane,
I also have a 64 Monza coupe fac a/c car.I would really like to see pictures of the engine compartment and the a/c unit you are referring to under the dash. You might be surprised how much O.E.M. stuff looks like it was just added on. It amazes me how much stuff chevy had to change on a regular corvair to get the a/c in. Just to name a few;bracket to relocate the gen regulator, relocate the coil, right angle oil filter adapter,4 pin ignition switch, different temp range oil temp sender, swivel accelerator rod on left carb,not counting the endless brackets,hoses,wiring for the unit and condenser itself!!! I urge you to join AIRVAIRS corvair club.Good information there.
Jim Weppelman
Pittsburgh :}
61 Lakewood
63 spyder rag project
64 Monza fac a/c
Duane in Bakersfield

KILLERCORVAIR wrote:Duane,
I also have a 64 Monza coupe fac a/c car.I would really like to see pictures of the engine compartment and the a/c unit you are referring to under the dash. You might be surprised how much O.E.M. stuff looks like it was just added on. It amazes me how much stuff chevy had to change on a regular corvair to get the a/c in. Just to name a few;bracket to relocate the gen regulator, relocate the coil, right angle oil filter adapter,4 pin ignition switch, different temp range oil temp sender, swivel accelerator rod on left carb,not counting the endless brackets,hoses,wiring for the unit and condenser itself!!! I urge you to join AIRVAIRS corvair club.Good information there.
Jim Weppelman
Pittsburgh :}
61 Lakewood
63 spyder rag project
64 Monza fac a/c
I know the under dash unit is not an original Corvair unit, because when I was over there getting paperwork yesterday I saw a Ford emblem on it. LOL. But it appears that the rest is factory. The condenser, drier, oil filter adapter, etc., all look just like the pics in the factory repair manual that came with the car. The generator has been replaced with an alternator, and I admit I really didn't pay attention to whether it was internally regulated, or not. The car was originally owned by the father of the man I sang with, and dad has since passed away, which is why the car came up for sale. My friend really doesn't know what his father did way back when the car was the daily driver of his father. One of the benefits of buying a car from the estate is that they have no emotional attachment to anything related to the car, so I ended up with a set of Corvair manuals covering all years from 1961 thru 1968. The biggest drawback of buying a car from the estate is they really don't have much information on the car. There is no telling what the old man did, or why the under dash unit is not factory. The family are obviously Corvair nuts, as there are/were several owned by several different family members. They are all getting older now, and have lost interest in them. They gave me any Corvair parts that I wished to carry away with me, so I also ended up with a pair of 110 heads, a couple early half shafts, an alternator, new starter, gas tank sender, carb flow meter for syncing, numerous letters and emblems, oil filters, 6 NOS 164 ci. pistons/barrels, plus stuff that I haven't even inventoried yet.
I think joining the AirVair club is a pretty good idea, because this is the first early A/C car I've even seen, let alone owned. I've seen several late models with A/C, but the condenser location is totally different. I don't mind admitting I'm outside my sphere of knowledge when you're talking about A/C Corvairs. LOL. I do still have a couple pounds of R-12 in the garage, though. :rolling:
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Nice find and congrats. The Early Corvair in cab units come up available from time to time. I have seen them at he Toss in Palm Springs.
So if you want the Corvair unit, you should be able to find one, but be patient.

Is that a local car? My Rampside came from Bakersfield. Rumor has it that Buck Owens once may have seen it driving through Oildale! ::-):
Best thing about those Bakersfield cars... most have absolutely no rust! :tu:

Corventure Dave
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Some people especially baratones should quit singing altogether. :rolling:
Where are the new pic's?? I wish I had air in my 64, it's going to be in the low 90's this weekend with high humidity.
Again, good find :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Duane in Bakersfield

Corventure Dave wrote:Nice find and congrats. The Early Corvair in cab units come up available from time to time. I have seen them at he Toss in Palm Springs.
So if you want the Corvair unit, you should be able to find one, but be patient.

Is that a local car? My Rampside came from Bakersfield. Rumor has it that Buck Owens once may have seen it driving through Oildale! ::-):
Best thing about those Bakersfield cars... most have absolutely no rust! :tu:

Corventure Dave
Was the ramp side orange? My dad had one when he lived in a surrounding town and sold it locally. If I remember correctly, it had a three speed floor shift. Possibly the same truck?
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

Ours was the original drab Green. Purchased over your way about 30 years ago. Had the 3 speed but we installed a Powerglide.
Has gone through several changes over the years, but looks like his today.

"My bucket's got a hole in it... and I cain't buy no beer"!! :guitar:

Corventure Dave
Attachments
1AARampwin.jpg
Duane in Bakersfield

Well, I brought my new toy home this morning. Here are a few pictures before I start cleaning it up and getting it ready to come back to life.
Attachments
IMG_5431.jpg
IMG_5432.jpg
IMG_5436.jpg
IMG_5437.jpg
IMG_5440.jpg
IMG_5453.jpg
IMG_5439.jpg
The only spot of rust I can find.
The only spot of rust I can find.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Is that half a spare tire in the engine compartment? Nice project:tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Duane in Bakersfield

cad-kid wrote:Is that half a spare tire in the engine compartment? Nice project:tu:
The old guy decided not to let that space go to waste, since the A/C drier and lines were in the way, so he took an old cloth belted tire, cut it in half, took a board and shaped it to match the curve of the tire, made a bottom, and now there is a handy little space to put tools and stuff. It rotates right out of the hole so you can carry it around. LOL. Not something I would invest the time in, but since he already did all the work, what the heck? :dontknow: Might as well leave it there, it might come in handy someday. :tu:
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Nice mod!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
My 65 Monza thread
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Hey Duane,

I saw this on CL, looks like a vairy good deal. It also has the blower/condenser unit that mounts in the trunk :cool:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/5124961323.html
00u0u_4VamjbbZ5Aj_600x450.jpg
00u0u_4VamjbbZ5Aj_600x450.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 988 times
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”