Rear Disk Conversion from Corvair Underground?

Anything Corvair related
Kbryant

Rear Disk Conversion from Corvair Underground?

Post by Kbryant »

I just installed a rear disk conversion kit from Corvair Underground. They were purchased years ago but I am just now getting to install the them. The rear rotors and calipers come from an 82-97 4WD S10. I also believe 79-82 Riviera or DeVille FWD calipers work. But here is the question, how are the calipers connected to the brake line. Is a banjo bolt used or does a hard line run directly to the caliper? If a banjo bolt is used, how long of a hose did you use and how did you secure it to the torque control arm? If it is not secured, it seems to me that it would flop around and be a bit dangerous.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Rear Disk Conversion from Corvair Underground?

Post by UNSAFE »

I am not familiar with the undergrounds setup but I made my own and here's what I did.

I'm using Caddy calipers - the difference is that they have a parking brake but it is essentially the same otherwise.

I use a metal line that screws into a banjo fitting on the caliper and the other end goes to a flexible hose .

The calipers are the floating type so your line must allow some movement .

My bracket where the metal line meets the flexible line is rigidly attached to the caliper so it moves with it .
Attachments
Copy of IMG_0408.JPG
reardisk1.jpg
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Kbryant

Post by Kbryant »

I'm not sure that I understand your comment "I use a metal line that screws into a banjo fitting on the caliper and the other end goes to a flexible hose." Can you just purchase a bango fitting without a hose? When I've gotten banjo bolts, they've always been purchased with a hose attached. Also, you say that the line going into the caliper is a hard line and not a hose and that the other end goes to a flexible hose. What does that flexible hose connect to? Seems to me that the hard line that runs from the front of the car could run to the torque arm and then connect to another hard line that runs to the caliper. No hose required. What am I missing? Thanks for your patience.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

The suspension moves up and down - you must have a flexible hose to compensate - a solid line would quickly fatigue and break.

All cars have a flexible hose . Solid axle cars have only one and independent suspension like Vairs and vettes use 2

Yes you can buy a banjo fitting with female threads to fit a standard metal brake line .

As you apply the brakes the caliper actually moves - that's why they are called floating calipers - you also need the flexible hose to allow this movement . Cars like Corvettes have fixed calipers that don't move but they still must have a flexible hose to compensate for the suspension going up and down .
What does that flexible hose connect to?
One end goes to the metal line at the caliper end - the other end goes to the fitting that is already there attached to the under body and from it up to the master cyl.

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you don't understand !

The pic below shows the factory hose and the fitting it goes to. Even with stock drum brakes there was a solid line from the wheel cylinder to the rubber hose .

I recommend a stainless wrapped hose over an all rubber hose .
Attachments
aa05779.jpg
aa05779.jpg (75.95 KiB) Viewed 929 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
Kbryant

Post by Kbryant »

Kevin - You said that I could get a banjo fitting with female threads to fit a standard metal brake line. Where can I get them? I've been to several places and I can't find any such thing. I'm going to guess that you don't have any pics of this bolt, but if you do, that would help immensely.
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

Mine goes to metal line that goes around caliper and the connects to flexible hose so it is female .

Check out Summit Racing or Russel fittings for male or other options .
Attachments
930.jpg
fitting.jpg
fitting.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Corvair Talk”