Transmission Cable

All Models and Years
NMVair

Transmission Cable

Post by NMVair »

I know i have been busy on here but I will give back soon......I haven't dealt with the Corvair in about a year.
In any event I know there are a number of ways to fix these leaky cables. I tried a search but it didn't yield much...As I recall there is an O-ring that goes into the transmission that needs to be replaced. I have tranny fluid way up the cable. Is this issue capable of leaking quite a bit because there seems to be a substantial amount of fluid coming out. Thanks for any help.
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Transmission Cable

Post by davemotohead »

Pull the Cable out of the trans, Clean it up really nice, then wrap it with Rescue Tape about 3-4 feet from the trans end, the plastic covering on the cables always crack and leak at the low spot before it goes in the tunnel, the Rescue tape works great!
Attachments
short Rampy 227.jpg
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I also use the Rescue Tape but be sure to get the name brand. Copy-cat tapes have failed me.

Also, it is normal for tranny fluid to flow up into the cable housing all the way to the front of the car where it angles up to the dash. That was in the design so don't be concerned that the fluid is found way up there. That design does require the cable housing to be free of cuts or cracks though.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Thanks a lot guys. I have to ask though. If one wraps it 3 or 4 feet from trans why do you have to take it out at all? I will clean it all up with brake cleaner and make sure i know where it is comming from. I will inspect the cable for cracks and make sure they are covered with the rescue tape. If anyone has pictures of this proceedure please post! Thanks again.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I have been able to fixed several different leaks without removing the cable by only sealing the hole or crack in the outer plastic housing. I don't wrap an entire 2-3' section unless it has damage all along that length.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”