EM's are best.
43%
My Dad can beat up your Dad.
14%

Total votes: 642

Trip

Re: LM vs. EM Debate.

Post by Trip »

EM's- quieter, stiffer, lighter, when someone asks if it's a "SPYDER" you might be able to say YES instead of trying to explain what a Corsa is......., and people think they roll over..hilarious!

LM's- better handling, sexier, better original engine options (140 &180), rear wheel bearing failure not as dangerous
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Gearhead1432

Post by Gearhead1432 »

The body style on the LM is one of the best that ever came out of Chevrolet if you ask me. That's why I voted LM. I do like the roof line, tail lights, and rear quarters of the EM. In fact I think the proportions are very good on the early cars.
Mountain Pilot

Post by Mountain Pilot »

There is two completely different era represented here.
The 1950's Ed Cole style of Style and the later 1970's aerodynamic style. the Corvair transitioned these two eras. I love both styles and am looking at purchasing a '66 Sedan this weekend... Have owned both, EM for 50's cruising, and LM for go-fast and handling.
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

1960 700 Sedan / 1964 Spyder, Conv. / 1964 Monza Sedan
“Truth is Treason in the Empire of Lies.” -George Orwell
Trip

Post by Trip »

Ed Cole wasn't responsible for styling though =) I completely agree about the Corvairs representing two definitive era's of auto styling.

If you want to point out any one person for Corvair styling it would be Ned Nichols for the early model car.. but obviously it was a team effort. The other prominent designer involved was Harley Earl.

Bill Mitchell was chief of styling when the Corvair started production but he came into that position just as design work on the EM's was wrapped up. Bill Mitchell was still chief of styling while the LM's were designed so I'd say he's the person I'd point to if I had to name one individual, again there were others heavily involved as well.

The LM Corvair was definitely ahead of it's time in terms of styling... it was selected (by Motor Trend if memory serves) most beautiful car in the world when it was introduced. If you look at the evolution of other car bodies (particularly GM) you can see how similar styling was carried over to other models in the two years following the LM Corvair unveiling. Most everything else at the time was very "boxy" (think 62-65 Impalas and Chevy II/Nova's, a styling trend that came in around 62' and was fairly quickly replaced by the coke bottle designs.

Note that the final paragraph was much more opinion than fact.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
Mountain Pilot

Post by Mountain Pilot »

:tongue: You got me there... I had a scrambled brain, I had meant Harley Earl - :zzzz:

After living through this era, I appreciate the styling of that came out of the 50's and 60's, I even own a '59 Edsel sedan.... :eek:
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

Trip

Post by Trip »

wowzers, which model?
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
64 Monza Convertible
mart

Post by mart »

Mountain Pilot wrote::tongue: You got me there... I had a scrambled brain, I had meant Harley Earl - :zzzz:

After living through this era, I appreciate the styling of that came out of the 50's and 60's, I even own a '59 Edsel sedan.... :eek:
nothing wrong with EDSELS ,my friend has one from each year and a project wagon
Mountain Pilot

Post by Mountain Pilot »

My youngest son ( 29 ) talked me out of The Edsel and plans to finish up the rebuild I had started 15 years ago. That took care of that Christmas present.

But for me I purchased for myself the '64 and '66 Sedans. The '64 is a good driver and will get paint and interior this summer, the '66 will have to wait until next summer for it needs paint and interior also. Plus an engine rebuild for it has a bad valve and figure best to pull down and reseal and re-ring/bearing while at it. Will rework the mechanical side carefully and use it as my daily driver.

I am partial to the EM style especially the sedans but the LM I feel is a better highway car.

They are all good! :tu:
Richard Cutter
Monte Vista, Colorado

Solracer

Post by Solracer »

Grymm wrote:The LM Corvair was definitely ahead of it's time in terms of styling... it was selected (by Motor Trend if memory serves) most beautiful car in the world when it was introduced.
It was Car and Driver (in the October 1964 issue) and they called it "the most beautiful American car since before WW II", still pretty big praise.
reedbecky

Post by reedbecky »

I've owned about a dozen or so corvairs over the years. Right now I just bought a '66 Monza convertable (with A/C) that has less than 46,000 miles on it. I've worked on both types and it's been my experience that the LM's are the easiest to work on.
Nader Hater

Post by Nader Hater »

Which is better, Early Model or Late Model? The answer is YES!
Crazy George
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Crazy George »

I :dontknow: , never had a early model till lately, so I want to play too! LATE MODELS FLOAT THRU THE AIR WITH MUCH MORE GRACE not to say that the early''s may block some air so to speak. Only driven the king of corvairs , late models. Reading all of this , I got some history. You know where I am going with this :clap:
zappaz

Post by zappaz »

my moma can beat up yr moma and yr dady !! and she told me only conformest drive the l.m cus their mainstream and aint got the backbone ta dr a e.m
hoophil

Post by hoophil »

If it wasn't for the EM the LM couldn't be better...... Thanks EM!
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

This is a really tough call as Chevy never made a bad looking Corvair. We had three early models in my family when i was growing up and recently I owned a 68 Convertible. There is no denying the outstanding looks of the late model but I have to say I do feel that the build quality was better on the early models. I have to lean toward the earlies.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

My family has owned ten Corvairs -- Five EM and Five LM

1. 1961 Monza 2-Door coupe 4-speed
2. 1965 Corsa convertible w/140HP 4-speed
3. 1963 500 2-Door coupe - Powerglide
4. 1962 Monza 2-Door coupe 4-speed
5. 1963 Monza Spyder 150HP turbo convertible 4-speed
6. 1965 Corsa 180HP turbo coupe 4-speed (first speeding ticket)
7. 1963 Monza 2-Door coupe 4-speed
8. 1965 Corsa 2-Door coupe w/140HP - 4-speed (2nd, 3rd and 4th speeding tickets)
9. 1965 Corsa 2-Door coupe w/140HP - 4 speed
10. 1966 Corsa convertible w/140HP - 4 speed

I enjoyed them all, although the 500 coupe w/Powerglide was really in sad shape and was purchased as a learning car when I was a teen to let me rebuild the engine and transmission, with the engine later transferred to the 1962 4-speed Monza.

The technical/engineering design and style of the 1960 was short-lived for only one year for a reason. Significant enhancements and improvements were introduced in 1961, with gradual evolutionary changes introduced each year after that, shown in braking and handling and engine refinement and improvements each year through 1964. The introduction of the 150HP Turbo in 1962 was also a very significant engineering leap. The 1965 was a huge leap in suspension and power train design. The styling of the 1965-1969 cars was exceptional and the styling of this series of cars has withstood the test of time for over 40 years! :clap: The combination of styling and engineering advances introduced in 1965 were truly exceptional. There is a reason for the Car and Driver magazine cover and associated article shown below. The writers and car aficionados at Car and Driver were absolutely ecstatic and displayed almost childlike zeal when they first discovered the 1965 Corsa. It's too bad that the beancounters at Chevrolet and GM lost interest. Who knows what other great engineering refinements, advancements, and styling improvements would have evolved and surfaced if GM had not decided to let the Corvair die a slow death. Unlike the Chevrolet Volt, if they could bring back the Corvair now Chevrolet would probably have a real winner on its hands! :chevy: :checkeredflag:

All that being said, just look at the two pictures of Corvairs below. Don't you really love them both? Don't cha?
I know you like me (I know you like me)
I know you do (I know you do)
That's why whenever I come around
She's all over you (she's all over you)
I know you want it (I know you want it)
It's easy to see (it's easy to see)
And in the back of your mind
I know you should be on with me (babe)

[Chorus:]
Don't cha wish your Corvair was hot like me?
Don't cha wish your Corvair was a freak like me?
Don't cha?
Don't cha?
Don't cha wish your Corvair was raw like me?
Don't cha wish your Corvair was fun like me?
Don't cha?
Don't cha?
...So there you go. CASE CLOSED!

:LMs rule:
:EMs Rule:
Love it :woo: :checkeredflag:
Attachments
Car and Driver - WE LOVE IT!
Car and Driver - WE LOVE IT!
Car-and-Driver-October-1964.JPG (102.21 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
They Don't Make 'em Better!
They Don't Make 'em Better!